Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheel truing stands…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve played with a Minoura and quite like it, I know I can use a bike but it’s more convenient being able to set a stand up on the kitchen table. Musson’s is out as I have none of the tooling I would need plus I don’t have handy off cuts around.

What’s the TS8 like? It looks substantial but I’ve read a couple of reviews where they’ve resorted to shimming with paper on the sliding dropout as the set screw wasn’t working.

Any thoughts and alternatives… But I probably should have pointed out that the TS8 and Minoura offerings are the most I’m prepared to spend 🙂

wwaswas

have a look at the on one offerings – I got the one with the gauges on when they had their price drop sale and it’s pretty good.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m very pleased with http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWWTS/jobsworth-wheel-truing-workshop-standard which is a blatent rip off of Parks industry standard stand.

austy
    Free Member

I have the TS8 and have built a set of wheels with it.

For the occasional home builder it is great, weighty, able to be bolted down. The only real minor I have is the marker for the truing is not the easiest to adjust and can overshoot the amount you want.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Another vote for the jobs worth. it’s totally solid. It doesn’t do dishing very well as the lower guide is not fixed. Not sure if this is normal as i’ve only built two wheels.

wwaswas

you’re supposed to use a separate dishing gauge I think.

kcal

Ultimate / Feedback worth a look. Has some niggles but def. worth scoping out.

http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Wheel-Truing-Station-P8.aspx

zilog6128

Never done any wheel truing/building but it’s something I’ve always been keen to try. Looking at the On-One site their Jobsworth Pro looks like an impressive bit of kit. Anyone used/got one? Would it be suitable for building as well as truing (including dishing as mentioned above)?

wwaswas

I’ve built a few wheels with mine. The Pro is almost too accurate for ‘home’ use – you keep niggling away at fractions of a mm of out of trueness.

You need a separate dishing tool (but then you do with Park too, I think?).

granny_ring

Do these truing stands allow for 15&20mm axles?

scotroutes

I’ve used the Minoura FT-1 and it’s fine. I got a free dishing tool thrown in too!

wwaswas

there’s some fairly simple ‘v’ sections that the ends of the axles rest in – it’s not the most positive location but I’ve not had problems.

isitafox
    Free Member

Another vote for the Jobsworth, awesome bit of kit for the money!

qwerty
    Free Member

I got a free dishing tool thrown in too!

I made one

not much to it!

somafunk

I have the jobsworth pro stand with the dial gauges and whilst it’s a great bit of kit that makes the job easier for me, i feel for the average joe public who wishes to have an occasional wheel fettle the standard Jobsworth stand would be easier to use. I say this as the dti gauges are so sensitive that all it takes for the dial to swing wildly is a a sticker on the rim, a slight raised section where the rim is pinned or even blowing on the gauge itself will cause it to vary.

I’ve use dti gauges for various mech engineering stuff for years so i’m perfectly happy using them but some peeps may be confused as to what way the buckle runs as the gauges move very rapidly.

EDIT : And you’ll need a wheel dishing tool as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheel truing stands…’ is closed to new replies.