Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • wheel truing stand recommendations please
  • gonzy
    Free Member

as above really…me and some of my riding buddies are thinking about getting one between us so that we can start to carry out our own wheels repairs and if we can get our heads around it…wheel building (this bit may not end well)
    looking through the various ones on offer we cant seem to decide on which one would be the best to go for.
    we’ve asked a few retailers that are selling their on-line but some aren’t able to give us the info we need so i thought i’d try and tap into the knowledge of the STW hive…
    we need something that can be used for 26″, 650b and 700c wheels; be able to accommodate qr, 15mm maxle and 20mm axles; and be able to fit hub widths from 100mm front, 135mm and 142mm rear.

does such a truing stand exist?

if there isn’t one that can do all the different wheel sizes any recommendations for something similar and any suggestions of adapter brackets etc. would be really appreciated

thanks

philxx1975
    Free Member

Yes but sadly they seem to cost the same as an entire bike.

zbonty

Wheelpro- download Roger’s book on wheel building for about £8.
    You’ll learn the techniques to build a wheel and there are plans to make your own. Very straight forward to do and will cost pennies.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve found one that can accommodate 26″ to 29″/700c and will accept the widths we need but it will only accept qr and 15mm axles…quite a few of us are on 20mm front hubs so is there anywhere we can get hold of some sort of adapter that will allow the wheels to fit the stands?

wwaswas

Park TS2TA

plus one of these

works for me for everything from 700c to 26″ to fat with 150mm hubs (you have to move the right hand arm across for fat hubs).

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWPWTS/jobsworth-pro-wheel-truing-workshop-stand

you could get them both for less than £100 at the moment.

swanny853

I made this one using a saw, a power drill and some wood. This one was 15mm front hub only, but the mk2 was adjustable for qr front and rear, 15mm and 12mm. 20mm would have been easy to add. It did different wheel sizes too. Held together with clamps so it packed flat. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll take a picture when I get home.

[/url]Wheel jig mk1 by MatGoesSomewhere, on Flickr[/img]

gonzy
    Free Member

perfect…thanks wwaswas! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just stick a skewar through my 20mm axled hubs – and my 15s …. and then just rest the skewar in the V shaped profile on my jig arms.

i just have a cheepy tacx one for home use – but have access to a nice park one if i have lots to build.

grahamt1980

The on one stand and park adaptors are fantastic. You seriously don’t need anything more

scotroutes

i just stick a skewar through my 20mm axled hubs – and my 15s …. and then just rest the skewar in the V shaped profile on my jig arms.

works for me too

wwaswas

If you’re going to do builds etc then get a dishing tool too.

And, if you have the budget, to make life easier a spoke tension tool – it makes getting even tension around a wheel a lot easier.

cultsdave
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-mechanic-wheel-truing-stand/rp-prod122322?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGYAeI9WhdhZuQVZPMsM9vlmvQHgkQ-e6eLin5lo97hIaAnEF8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought the Jobsworth one from planet x that looks identical to this one. Its a really good solid lump. Bargain compared to the park one.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions so far…really useful food for thought!

If you’re going to do builds etc then get a dishing tool too.

And, if you have the budget, to make life easier a spoke tension tool – it makes getting even tension around a wheel a lot easier.

i think it’ll be for wheel truing to start off with then at some later point i will start to look at building wheels so thanks for the tips

tthew

IMHO, a tension tool is more use than a dishing tool. If you bought the correct length spokes the dish should be about right from the start, just turn then wheel round in the jig and use the pointer, (or DTI if it’s a really posh stand) to get it spot on.

swanny853

I didn’t really get the need for a dishing tool- if the sides of your jig are parallel, you know the distance they are apart and the width of the rim, you can work out how far the rim should be from the side. Worked for me.

andyl
    Free Member

Have on one stopped doing the more basic truing stand? Missed them when they were on offer earlier in the year and was waiting for them to come back round. Prefer pointers to DTIs

andyl
    Free Member

just thought I could probably knock up a nice truing/build stand using some extruded aluminium profiles which I get delivered pre-cut. Wonder if there is a design for such a jig anywhere.

wwaswas

Prefer pointers to DTIs

tbh, I just use the DTI’s as pointers for most of the process – they don’t need to be touching the wheel to see where the rim’s out of true. I just make them touch when it’s nearly there so I can measure more accurately.

There’s something quite satisfying so building a wheel so that the biggest deflection is where the gauge runs over the stickers on the rim 🙂

scaredypants

buy roger mussons book – great advice in there, plus a design for a jig

(I just use a spare fork / back end of a frame as “jigs” )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘wheel truing stand recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.