Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel truing: ping, ping, ping…wobble
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to true a wheel and have been pleased with the results, until the point where I take it out of the truing stand and stress it by hand a bit.

I have hear lots of pings as I do this and then it goes way out of true when I check it in the truing stand.

I’ve been trying to avoid spoke wind up by backing off technique, but can anyone suggest any other tips?

Thanks!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Practice.
    Stress relieve more regularly whilst truing.
    You can put a piece of tape on the spokes (like a little flag) to physically see the spokes wind up and how much you need to back off.After a while you’ll get a feel for it and won’t have to stress relieve quite so often.
    More practice.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sounds about right….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stuey
    Free Member

“Oil on your nipples”

neilnevill
    Free Member

are you bending the spokes over each other? a screwdriver or similar sliped between them and then lever at the crossing point, be quite firm.

leffeboy

All of the above

timba
    Free Member

Sucking eggs time…are the spoke nipples turning on the spoke, or are they corroded/dirty/run out of thread and just winding the spoke around?

You will get some pinging, but it shouldn’t dramatically affect the trueness (is that a word?) of the wheel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel truing: ping, ping, ping…wobble’ is closed to new replies.