Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel Truing Issue?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I decided to try and get rid of the slight wobble in my front wheel so I trued trued to +-1mm horizonally and the vertical is even less than that. Assuming that would be job done I popped the tyre back on but with the tyre on it is now +-2/3mm horizontally and +-5mm vertically out of true going by the tyre casing, enough to feel a slight ‘hop’ while on tarmac. I’m not sure whether this is an issue with the tyre or it not being trued to tight enough tolerances? Anybody got any suggestions?

The combination is Superstar XCX 29er with a 2.4 Mountain King if that makes any odds.

Cheers, Jack.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds like the tyre hasn’t seated properly.

jakd95
    Free Member

Okay, I’ll give that a check in the morning and make sure the bead is on all the way round.

Thanks.

somafunk

Check to see if the tyre is properly on the “bead”, IE : That it is correctly seated all the way round with no dips in the sidewall where it sits against the rim. If there is a dip or incorrect beading then deflate the tyre and spray that area of the sidewall with a small amount of silicone spray or rub a smear of washing up liquid on the bead and re-inflate to 50psi, you should hear a loud “pop” as it sits the bead into the rim, then deflate to your preferred pressure.

somafunk

Damn my slow response…… 😛

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m assuming you properly de-stressed the spokes whilst truing? If the spokes are wound-up at all the tyre pressure can throw it all out of whack…

jakd95
    Free Member

It was indeed an issue with the bead not being properly seated. Thanks all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Truing Issue?’ is closed to new replies.