Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheel truing – how accurate can I expect and what price ?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have a wheel which is not 'round', so is giving vibration when mounted on my trainer.

How much is it likely to cost for a bike shop to true it?
    What level of 'roundness' accuracy should I reasonably expect from a newly trued wheel?

Ta.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Depends how good the wheel builder is.

They can be, for all intents and purposes, perfectly true.

Not too hard to do yourself and there's plenty of on-line info about doing it.

Personally, I've happily paid my wheel builder £15 for a true but the wheels have been in need of a lot of work and he is an excellent wheel builder.

DezB
    Free Member

You mean it has a flat spot rather than is buckled?

Cos like the price (depends which shop: £5-£10), it depends.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How much is it likely to cost for a bike shop to true it?

depends who long it takes them to do it. which partly depends on the quality of the rim

What level of 'roundness' accuracy should I reasonably expect from a newly trued wheel?

depends on the level of damage but with a good quality rim, and a small buckle you could expect as good as new.

having said that 'new' with crap rims can be pretty poor ime.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you have a flat spot it may not be possible to get rid.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I've literally just taken mine in to James' for 3 replacement spokes and a truing, he said it would be about £15

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I'll do it for a bottle of wine

speaker2animals

Well 1 of my LBSs (a reasonably well known and "big" one for my area) charged me £15 for a new spoke and true and took a week to get it done a few months ago. I had another replaced week before last at another much smaller LBS for £6 and it took less than 24hrs.

How long is a piece of string?

I would expect a reasonable or better wheel builder to be able to tell you by looking at the wheel whether (s)he can get it back to acceptably round or rideable but wonky.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks for info all. Its a bit annoying as its a nice wheel from Merlin which has had no hard impacts or damage and it only a little out. On the road there is no issue with it at all noticable, but its still enough to play up on the trainer, thumping on the roller enough to annoy. I guess cos the bike is in such a locked down state on a trainer.

I usually fix my own bike stuff, but not sure I have the temperament to do wheels! I ought to get my act together and at least try to learn at some point, but not this week as everything I go near is going wrong at the moment 🙂

Midnighthour
    Free Member

There is no slight to Merlin in this, by the way. The wheel is 4 or 5 years old and as I said, just fine in normal life.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it's only showing up on the trainer, is it possible the problem is with the tyre rather than the wheel? Spin it and see what wobbles most.

Sorry if you'vbe already considered this and eliminated as a possible cuase.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wheel truing – how accurate can I expect and what price ?’ is closed to new replies.