Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wheel size/plus tyre combinations (sorry)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I like my normal 29 wheels and tyres on the El Mar for most of the riding I do. But I’m thinking about those long mountain rides where the trail is crappy, soft and boggy and/or rocky, and wondering about plus tyres. My fork can take 29+ but according to Salsa the rear can’t (although I think this would be my preference).

So I could run 29+ on the front and 2.4 on the rear; maybe 27.5+ both ends. Question is, does this help on boggy moorland trails? I’m not light so I tend to sink in a bit, I am not sure if plus tyres would help with this much.

Is there a benefit to having a plus on the front and normal 29 on the back?

Would 27.5+ on both ends be better than 29+/29? Will it make any difference at all beyond simply cushioning? Do bigger tyres really help on soft ground?

wiggles
    Free Member

Plus is worse on boggy stuff than “normal” tyres, floats instead of digs in.

I have a 650+ bike and it is great on dry trails but come winter I might looks for a 29 wheelset to fit…

roverpig

I found plus was neither fish nor fowl. Not enough float to really make a big difference in bogs (unlike my 5″ tyres, which seem to float over anything) but heavier and harder to push through the bog when they do sink.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Question is, does this help on boggy moorland trails?

No really. Did the river ayr way a while back, march or thereabouts, my mates spesh fatboy was wayyy quicker over the innumerable boggy morass than my plus equipped spectral was.

Daffy

3.0″ b+ is also a smaller diameter than 29×2.3, so depending upon the shape of your chainstays, it may foul. This was my experience on both my 29ers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did the river ayr way a while back, march or thereabouts, my mates spesh fatboy was wayyy quicker over the innumerable boggy morass than my plus equipped spectral was.

Of course, but how would your plus bike compare to a 2.35?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m currently running B+ tyres on my Solaris. Different, better in some respects, worse in others. 29er tyres are Bonty XR4 2.35 on front, XR3 2.2 on rear.

Pros: (much) better traction especially on loose surfaced climbs. Handles rocky tracks better as the wheel doesn’t get deflected as much. Good for high frequency chatter from surfaces like rough fireroads.

Cons: undamped suspension effect – really off-putting the first time you get it. Slots and ruts are sized for 2.3″ wheels 🙄

They are pretty pressure sensitive and it takes a while to get that sorted.

ajantom

In my experience of riding across some pretty boggy bits of Dartnmoor, a 3″ tyre does give considerable advantage when the going gets squidgy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Of course, but how would your plus bike compare to a 2.35?

I was wishing I had the 29ers wheels on… (2.3 shorty and smorg)

B+ are awesome at multi terrain IMO, excel on hardpack, roots and mixed terrain. But for moorland bog, no.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

I have an El Mar
    loving a 650 B+ ( wtb i35 rim ) with 2.8 Nobby nics at the front, good with rigid forks,
    a quick try of the rear says that a 2.8 will be about the limit at the rear

dovebiker

If you ride plus-size tyres like a regular MTB, then you may struggle in certain conditions but riding steady rather than mashing is better rather than pushing in mud over your ankles. Big front tyre makes it easy to climb-out of ruts that would ‘trap’ a regular tyre. On bottomless slop, it’s better to be on top that trying to carve your way through – particularly when it’s hub-deep. Can be a bit disconcerting when your front wheel goes all ‘light’ and you appear to lose steering, but taking it steady in an easy gear often gets you through.

scotroutes

Frankly, it depends on the consistency of the slop. I’ve ridden off-road in everything from 28mm to 5″ tyres and there is no one answer. Inevitably tread pattern and depth are as important as width

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m talking peaty moorland here rather than clag.. the spongy kind.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wheel size/plus tyre combinations (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.