Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Wheel size bickering ?
  • jimbo45
    Free Member

Got to say whats with the obsession over wheel size everywhere , 26″ v 27.5 v 29″, fair play if your a professional rider and wheel size shaves seconds off a run etc, but c’mon are we all getting caught up in hype made my bike manufacturers to make ££££, i ride a 26″ fs xc and have tried other sizes available and dont see a massive difference, is it really an important issue

jam-bo

important enough to start yet another thread on it?

parkesie
    Free Member

I thought everyone just bought a bike they liked and worried about what size the wheels were when they needed new tyres?

Northwind

It’s because we like bickering.

Personally, I’ve lost out financially due to 26er kit being devalued, I take that personally because it is. It also bugs me that for 2 years, bike development and innovation largely went on hold. I wonder what we’ve missed out on or had delayed as a result. The man who had to design a 6% bigger Highroller might have cured cancer.

It did make me laugh being sent to the back of the bus at BPW into the 26er ghetto though. Rosa Bikeparks.

State of the union; the bike industry now knows it can get away with this bullshit. If 650b hadn’t taken off we’d not now be being deluged in Boost bullshit. It’s the proof of concept for bullshit without end, tyres are the least of it. And that’s worth getting annoyed about.

warns74
    Free Member

2012 called, it wants its thread back, (oh and you missed out all the plus size and fat sizes too).

nickjb
    Free Member

have tried other sizes available and dont see a massive difference

There isn’t a massive difference. There is, however, a small difference. Just like there are differences between 750mm and 785mm handle bars, or between 68 or 70 degree head angle. The MTB industry is guilty of changing standards for the sake of it. Wheel size is necessarily an example of this

jimdubleyou

Never mind the size, what about the width?

wrecker
    Free Member

Everyone knows it’s girth that makes the difference.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s not my fault, some idiot started a wheel-size thread, blame him.

(kills the kitten)

jimbo45
    Free Member

So would it be pointless for someone to buy a 26″ wheel bike, i know guys who love riding my 26 but terrified that they will become a thing of the past meaning ££££ wasted

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I love my 26″ bike & love even more the deals I can get on high end kit thanks to all the sheeple drinking the Kool Aid!

imnotverygood

You know someone who is able to buy a 26″ bike?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You know someone who is able to buy a 26″ bike?

I bought a new Pivot Mach 5.7c about 2 months ago with £400 off the list – DEAL!

the-muffin-man

Clown wheels where invented so the new stupid dinner plate cassettes look less stupid and in proportion to the wheel!

[flashback] I remember when 28 was the big sprocket [/flashback] 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

But what about chain line?

theocb
    Free Member

I bought a new Pivot Mach 5.7c about 2 months ago with £400 off the list – DEAL!

Did someone mention kool aid?
    You got £400 off a £2000 frame in the winter season and you think that’s a special DEAL due to other wheel sizes being available.

Welcome to MTBing :0)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Did someone mention kool aid?
    You got £400 off a £2000 frame in the winter season and you think that’s a special DEAL due to other wheel sizes being available.

See if you can get a better deal – I spoke with the importer & that was as good as it got. Secondly try getting a 2016 carbon framed bike as good with nearly 25% off..

wilsation
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice 26 full susser and 29 hard tail, barely ridden either since I got a fat bike a year ago. Wheel size is irrelevant, it’s all about having fun.

bigblackshed

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rosa Bikeparks

😆

Northwind

Well it’s about time! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pickle – Member
    But what about chain line?

It gives as much of a **** as everyone else, can someone grab me another bag of kittens, I’m nearly out over here.
    12sp anyone?

bigblackshed

wordnumb
    Free Member

And yet all the kittens posted appear to be of a single standard size. Kitten manufacturers are missing a trick f’sure.

cookeaa

It’s the proof of concept for bullshit without end, tyres are the least of it. And that’s worth getting annoyed about.

This really… The cycle industry has caught the bug of “planned obsolescence” recent wheel shenanigans was just one example.

We had a good ~20 year run before this during which changes were incremental and there was plenty of backwards compatibility accomodated.

Now it feels like the aim is to persuade the new golfers, spurred on by MBR, to buy a whole new dandyhorse every 2-3 years for fear of “falling behind” or losing too much “resale value”… FFS

At the end of the day it’s basically “sports equipment” like a cricket bat or pair of running shoes, companies need to shift units to stay in business, if enough people continue to believe the marketing they’ll survive. Seems to be working at the moment…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Kitten manufacturers are missing a trick f’sure.

They need to bring the fur alive.

I was noseying in some BMX forums and I didn’t realise they had these fun discussions too 😆 20″, 22″, 24″, 26″ & a kitten slaughtering 29″ wheelsize. Will this madness ever cease? Will there be any kittens left?

molgrips
    Free Member

The cycle industry has caught the bug of “planned obsolescence”

Parts of it.

I think 29er was a genuine innovation, that caused a few knock-on effects like tapered headtubes, but I think that’s settled now.

There’s more than one type of MTBer. The kind that wants to keep stuff and ride it for ages, and the new-golfers. The latter can easily be relieved of their money, the former will still be supported one way or another.

I think it’ll stabilise now. Stuff for plus and fat tyres doesn’t count, because that’s optional – no-one’s (yet) suggesting plus as a replacement for normal.

bigblackshed

roverpig

I think it’ll stabilise now. Stuff for plus and fat tyres doesn’t count, because that’s optional – no-one’s (yet) suggesting plus as a replacement for normal.

But they are making pretty much every frame in Boost size now, to accommodate those (optional) plus tyres. So, the end result is still the same. Your current stuff wont fit your new frame.

Mugboo

It’s definitely getting harder to nip out to the shed and fit the parts you already have onto newer frames. I’m building up a new 26″ fs so I’m definitely in the tightwad camp.

roverpig

Actually, boost could save me a fortune. I know that, in the grand scheme of things, a new hub and a rebuild isn’t much extra when you are contemplating a new frame, but it’s just that step too far for me at the moment. I currently have three sets of wheels (one in each size) all on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, which I thought were future-proof. Any frame that can’t take one of those wheels is off the list for me at the moment, which seems to rule out almost all new offerings.

I dare say I’ll crack in the end though.

roverpig

Well it’s about time!

I liked that one too, but hadn’t forgiven you for ignoring the Bard and going with the West Side story reference in the fat bike thread, so was still sulking 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

So, the end result is still the same. Your current stuff wont fit your new frame.

Yes, but the accusation is that they are doing it deliberately. We’ll see in ten years’ time if we will still be using the same boost compatible frames that we buy today.

roverpig

Yes, but the accusation is that they are doing it deliberately. We’ll see in ten years’ time if we will still be using the same boost compatible frames that we buy today.

Well they’re not doing it accidentally 🙂

Maybe I’m missing something, but boost does seem pretty cynical to me. Fair enough, you might want stiffer wheels, but there are plenty of ways to achieve that without changing the axle standard (stiffer rims, bigger flanges etc). Even if you did want a wider hub standard, there was already a 150mm standard. Going for a new one that is 2mm narrower just seems like a deliberate attempt to make sure that nothing anybody already has will fit the new standard.

As Northwind pointed out, the wheelsize debacle was a proof-of-concept for this crap. So, one thing we can be sure of, if we keep going down this road, is that we wont still be using any frame we buy now in ten years time (even 5 years would be a failure as far as the marketing dept are concerned).

brakes
    Free Member

mugs, the lorraya.

cookeaa

I think 29er was a genuine innovation, that caused a few knock-on effects like tapered headtubes, but I think that’s settled now.

I would agree with that, 29ers were a proper bit of innovation, unfortunately the likes of SBC spotted it, adopted it, made money from it and in the process inspired the rest of the industry to start looking for yet more wheel size based “innovations”…

Chubby tyred bikes are in the throws of it now, I honestly can’t quite keep track of what’s what in that sphere, as I am sure marketing would like for now…

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I ‘m with mikewsmith, it’s over move on the wheel debate is old news.

I cracked a perfectly good Snappierre Zesty 26″ & had the opportunity to sell it ( in new frame) while near new. I then sold my soul to the devil.. dare I say it 650B, one of the first Bronsons in the UK & love it though the haters were out in force straight away.

Come on boys who gives a S*7T what any one rides, if you enjoy your bike then do just that get out & ride it and play nicely, no more teddies out of prams eh.

superstu
    Free Member

important enough to start yet another thread on it?

This

I didn’t want to reply for fear of more of these threads but seriously, move on.
    I can still get parts for my 130 rear spaced 26 rigid with 7 speed Shimano.
    Cantis still work, v brakes still work, straight steerers still work.

The only people who seem to be angry are those riding on 26″ wheels but scared they’re missing out. If you like your bike don’t panic about what else is out there.

dmorts

My current bike is a 2010 Commencal Meta 55*. Bar the rear shock (obviously) and seat post, I believe all of the parts on this are compatible with my 1997 GT Backwoods.

The only people who seem to be angry are those riding on 26″ wheels but scared they’re missing out.

I think those people need to get out and ride more (if they exist)

*Which due to the current wheel and hub size standards will be ridden into the ground…. I might treat it to 1×11 though!

Northwind

superstu – Member

The only people who seem to be angry are those riding on 26″ wheels but scared they’re missing out.

Just wrong on various counts tbh, even within this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Wheel size bickering ?’ is closed to new replies.