Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Wheel set recommendations pls
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking for a new wheelset that would be for my Cotic Soul. I want them to be light, strong and easily serviceable by me.

I live in the Peaks and ride my bike everywhere – but I am definitely more into crossing mountains and big days out than smashing it down the hardest stuff i can find. They’ll also be used for some mountain marathons later in the year.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

midlifecrashes

Budget? Front axle type? Shimano MT35 are £80 A PAIR at on-one. You can use an adapter if your front isn’t 15mm.

Default (bling) answer will be Hope Pro2 Evo hubs with Stans rims. Near £250

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks fo post.

Budget? Medium? I haven’t loads but am happy to spend if I know they’ll last. I do believe ‘buy cheap buy twice’is true for a lot of stuff.

Size. 26″ and standard qr.

jimjam
    Free Member

Stans rims of your choice on Hope hubs.

rocketman
    Free Member

WTB rims of your choice on Hope hubs

akira

Your choice of Spank rims built up on Hope Evos.

jimjam
    Free Member

rocketman – Member

WTB rims of your choice on Hope hubs

midlifecrashes

Oops, my price was a bit out on Hope wheels, £300+ seems to be the going rate.

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m50b7s482p4881/HOPE-Hope-Hoops-Pair-Pro-2-Evo-Hubs-on-Stans-Arch-Ex-rims/RS_GB/11857

However, on 26″ there are loads of second hand bargains, and you could likely get a good set for half that.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Interesting rocket man. I run WTB rims now and they have been pretty good. It’s the stupid non-servicebale-by-me hub (they were off a Trek Ex8 and need a ‘key’ to service and i cannot get it from anywhere. Even an LBS i went to gave up on them one time) that irritates me and hence the new wheel’s.

Can I just put Hope hubs on them then?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Nope – I’m being a plonker. WTB were off another bike.

I have Bontranger TLR wheels. Can I just put Hope hubs on these to get around hub problem?

njee20
    Free Member

What is it that you need? Bonty hubs are usually DT Swiss internals, there is a tool you need to do the centre bearing, this one:

No other special tools though.

You won’t get a massive improvement going to Stan’s/Hope wheel, seems ludicrous to spend £300 on a largely comparable set of wheels to avoid fixing what you have.

jimjam
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy

I have Bontranger TLR wheels. Can I just put Hope hubs on these to get around hub problem?

Mildly pointless re-lacing old rims on new hubs.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Double plonker -minds elsewhere. Bontranger Rythym Comp wheels. Can I put Hope Hubs on these? Cheers.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Njee20 – it’s a tool to get a cap off to access bearings.

I see your point jimjam.

njee20
    Free Member

Hit with hammer 😕

rocketman
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

Your bike rocketman?

njee20
    Free Member

Shall we all now post photos of broken rims with absolutely no context? I’ll go first.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Njee – that’s why nonTrek LBS gave it back. Didn’t want to hit with hammer..maybe I should take my balls out of my handbag and just get on with the hammer..

Good info re comparable wheels. Totally right – should solve access problem. Otherwise waste of money.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – that’s why nonTrek LBS gave it back. Didn’t want to hit with hammer..maybe I should take my balls out of my handbag and just get on with the hammer..

It’s usually just a case of sticking something through, and tapping the end cap out. Alternatively, you should be able to use an axle vice to pull them out. I’d be finding a new LBS if that flummoxed them. I can’t recall Rhythm Comps specifically, but they’re unlikely to be anything different.

Good info re comparable wheels. Totally right – should solve access problem. Otherwise waste of money.

Unless you go for a decent upgrade I’d say so – DT240s on Light Bicycle carbon would be very nice, and light, probably c1300g, but more like £600.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I never went back to them (LBS) based on that. Although apart from the wheel issue I do nearly everything else myself anyway..

DezB
    Free Member

Merlin have good deals on Fulcrum wheels if anyone’s looking at those.

mintimperial

Only just seen this but: I have a set of rhythm comps kicking about that I’ve taken apart before. IIRC the hubs are Formulas not DT. The back hub comes apart easily with cone spanners (20mm I think), bearings just tap out on the axle, although the freehub needs a daft imperial sized hex key (7/16″?). The front (mine is 9mm QR) has a notched lock ring that I think uses a tool a bit like a four-pronged freewheel tool, but I got it apart very easily with the first pin spanner I grabbed. If your LBS couldn’t get them apart they need a bit of a kick up the bum, frankly, they’re not trying very hard. 🙂

Give me a shout if you want any more info, my username at gmail dot com.

qwerty
    Free Member

I have the WTB KOMi23 on Pro2Evo, still “new” to me, but seem fine. They now do an i25KOM for 2mm extra width. IIRC the KOMs are designed to grip the tyre when dinged, if that helps!! I was hoping to desticker them, but the logos are non removeable – anyone have any ideas how to?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Wheel set recommendations pls’ is closed to new replies.