Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel rebuild – OK to re-use spokes?
  • mrh86

I ruined the rim from my rear wheel and have just got hold of a replcaement rim. Am i ok to use the spokes from the old wheel build or should I get new spokes? (both rims are dt 4.2ds)

Onzadog
    Free Member

if they're quality spokes with no visible damage and yo trusted the original build, it should be okay.

cp

i've re-used spokes in the past and built perfectly fine wheels. It's more faff though.

And… you may find it a PITA to undo the nipples on the current wheel – if they're old/well used wheels, the nipples may be seized onto the spoke… solution – cut the spoke…

ajantom

I've re-used spokes many times with no problems. If the nipples have seized a bit of WD-40 or similar normally gets them moving.

If you are replacing a like for like rim, then the best way is to place the new rim next to the old one, wrap some tape around them at 3 or 4 points, then just transfer over the nipples and spokes one by one to the new rim – saves having to lace the spokes or anything. Easy 😀 just down to tensioning then.

mrh86

Cheers guys. Well I decided to reuse them. Wheel now laced but I think it may go to the LBS for tensioning and truing (plus for them to check my lacing 🙂 )

Onzadog
    Free Member

have a go yourself. If you're not too sure, get the wheelpro book. Last set of wheels I had shop built, I checked with a park guage. Drive side tension varied from 17 to 23! When I did it myself, it ranged from 23-24

Guess which one will remain true the longest.

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto – do it yourself – it's easy really – just use (for example) the Sheldon Brown guide

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel rebuild – OK to re-use spokes?’ is closed to new replies.