Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • wheel question
  • blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Hi

Quick question

Was going to get some replacement wheels from merlin(Shimano Deore hubs on Mach 1 MX rims with black spokes. )£80 odd

But for various resons thinking about getting some good condition second hand XT-517s instead for around £75

Question i have is, i know XT+517 are better than the Machs but will 517 rims fit Marathon plus performance tyres? 26×1.75 size..??

I cant remember whether 517 are the fat rims compared to the xc717 –.–

honourablegeorge

Last two digits on Shimano rims are the width, so 517 and 717 should be the same

Dickyboy

Last two digits on Shimano rims are the width, so 517 and 717 should be the same

Cept they are Mavic rims 😉

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

^^ lol

so any advice would be great thanks for the difference between them.

And if they fit marathons 26×1.75 onto them

RustyMac

You shouldn’t have any problem in fitting the 1.75 tyres on the 517 rims, i have fitted a similar width tyre on a wider rim with no issues.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

so 517s are the wider one right? if so whats the difference between them and the xc717?

sugdenr
    Free Member

AFAIK its whot he said. 317, 517, 717, 817; 319, 719, 819

Same width, different strength / design etc.

317 and 717 essentially same xcept 317 are pinned not welded joint and 717 are welded. 819 different (stronger and heavier) design.

But 5XX dunno difference.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

the 717 is the replacement for the 517, so same width as essentially the same rim.
    The 517 was discontinued several years ago, after it came in to replace the 217 (awesome rims & if anyone has a good pair of sunsets, let me know)
    In an answer to your question, your 1.75’s will fit fine.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

thanks goldenwonder.

Out of interest i shouldnt be worried that the 517s were discontinued and replaced by 717 rims??

pitduck
    Free Member

( should i be worried that the 517s were discontinued and replaced by 717 rims)no it was just marketing.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Worried? Not in the slightest. The 517’s were (are) a good rim. If they’re in good condition & the right price, go for it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘wheel question’ is closed to new replies.