Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • wheel problem
  • tumnurkoz
    Free Member

after my wheel has been trued, one of the spokes in the area of the wobble has gone almost back to
    steel colour (they should be black!) over a good 80-100mm length. if you look closely there are actual spiral twists around it. now, i think this spoke has been twisted and consequently passed its elastic limit (the wobble cannot be trued out) if you run a finger along it, the spoke gets thinner where the discolouration has occurred, just like butting (but not at the correct place!)

a lot of words, but does this sound logical to you lot? have you seen it before?

alanf
    Free Member

Sounds like the nipple has stopped turning and has in effect turned the spoke as the nipple / spoke interface has become stuck or the thread has run out on the spoke before it got to the required tension when tightening the spoke.
    At least this will have severley weekened the spoke and it probably wont last much longer.
    Personally I would get it replaced.
    Take it back to the place that did it and ask their opinion on it

bananaworld
    Free Member

Definitely just get a new spoke: they ain't expensive and then your worry is over.

If it was done in a shop then they're shite: I pride myself on building & truing wheels with perfect tension and absolutely NO 'wound-up' spokes. Your case is a bit of an extreme urine-extraction.

If you did it yourself: ho hum, we all gotta start somewhere 🙂

Lubing the nipples helps (bring it on you lot!!!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rootes1

-mispost apols

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘wheel problem’ is closed to new replies.