• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by poah.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheel damaged in transit?
  • woodster

More eBay fun, this time courtesy of selling a brand new set of wheels (my unneeded spares) on ebay only to receive a message saying they were damaged in the post and this picture attached.

Now that to me doesn’t exactly scream damaged in the post, with the localised damage and the clean, square break. Then I notice the disc rotor has been fitted and wonder surely if the packaging was damaged enough to have had a chunk out of the freehub (same box they were shipped in originally) then you’d have checked the wheel out before fitting the rotor?

I then get a follow up message asking about both parcelforce insurance and wheel warranty. Why would the warranty matter in this case?

I wanted to get your views really, perhaps I’m just being entirely unfair, but t looks more like user error/defective part to me. I’m currently just going through the insurance route and hoping that everyone winds up happy, but we shall see,

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Looks like an over tightened lock ring to me.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’d be very suspect.. Why indeed is there a rotor fitted?

tjagain

Overtightened lock ring for sure. a blow wouldn’t do that and I would want to see damaged packaging. No way did he fit the rotor then notice the damage I bet.

Get the money out of your paypal ASAP so he can’t make a claim

woodster

Glad it’s not just me. Do I confront him? I sent a message asking for pictures of the packaging and he’s just sent me the picture above again. This one’s going to be fun I can tell.

Don’t really want to play the remove all funds from Paypal game.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does seem fishy.

I take it breaking your freehub like that is just an aluminium thing?

bruneep

This ^

I’ve never ever done that 😳

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The postman must’ve removed them from their box and hit the freehub with a hammer and chisel….

martinhutch

The postman must’ve removed them from their box and hit the freehub with a hammer and chisel….

Or he helpfully removed them, fitted the rotor, tried to fit a cassette and f*cked it up. No Christmas tip for him.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Makes more sense. Don’t know why I replied TBh 😀

woodster

Right I’m annoyed now.

I guess he thinks claiming off insurance will be a win-win, but we all end up paying for it. I’m calling him out.

I’m sure ebay will screw me over for it.

woodster

Apparently it had a “tiny crack” and since he’d already put the front wheel and other parts on he went for it anyway and it broke away when fitting the cassette.

What do you say to that? Surely it’s his fault for just going with it and I can’t be responsible for damage incurred as a result of unsubstantiated transit damage which is now impossible to prove one way or the other?

cynic-al
    Free Member

He broke it by fitting the part when he’d seen a weakness there.

On seeing the crack he should have got in touch with you.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sure ebay will screw me over for it.

More than likely yes 🙁

And taking the money out of your PayPal (as suggested) won’t help either.

poah
    Free Member

Take money out and cancel DD.

If the item was damaged and he fitted it and broke then he is at fault.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheel damaged in transit?’ is closed to new replies.