Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wheel choice Flows or Enduro's
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

I have a choice
    Hope Pro II on Stans Flows 650b 4 week wait
    Hope Pro II on new Hope Enduro rims 2 week wait

I have a set of wheels to use in the mean time. Given the choice what would you go for and why?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Which: The cheaper option
    Why: Skinflint

cultsdave
    Free Member

Both the same price.
    I odered a bike 4 months ago but the wheels that came with it are crap. New bike arrived on Friday. So as part of the deal I got them to order a set of Hopes on Flows and we agreed on a discounted price of £200

Unfortunately the bike shop forgot to order the wheels and now both sets of rims are out of stock. There is an estimated wait time of 2 weeks for the hopes and 4 weeks for the flows. Hence the querie!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Have you looked at the WTB frequency rims? Either i23 of i25 both look awesome on paper. I have just ordered some so cant confirm yet but every review I have seen seems very positive.

John

RobHilton
    Free Member

Then the answer is defnly Hope ones cos you might get them before the apocalypse.

Or, in fine STW tradition, have you considered something else that isn’t either of your possible choices? 🙄

cultsdave
    Free Member

What other ones do you suggest?
    Not too worried about the wait as I am getting use of Mavic crossmax enduros until they arrive!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Might as well go with the Hopes, they’ll be at least as good I reckon.

Can you not cancel the order? IIRC 18 Bikes have Black (Enduro’s) in stock and other colours 2-3days

cultsdave
    Free Member

Due to spending lots on a bike I am getting the wheels at a very cheap price. £150 for the pair so I can’t really cancel the order.

beagle
    Free Member

I’m not sure the Hope 650b have shipped yet? I know the 29ers and 26 have but I’m yet to hear of stock of the 650b?

Happy to be proved wrong – As I’m waiting for some myself and I’ll get my mitts on them sooner rather than later!

I went Hope, rather than Stans because there was an introductory offer.

philfive
    Free Member

I don’t think the enduros would be any better than Flow ex but I think a pair is cheaper.

kimbers

I’ve got some of the wtb st i25 rims heavier cheaper versions of the frequency and been very impressed with the durability had plenty of oh crap that’s gonna have wrecked it clangs and they are still fine after 6 mths of abuse

Northwind

The Hopes seem to be heavier, if you care. What bike is it? Other rims are available, Arch Ex makes a lot of sense for most folks.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Hopes are heavier and narrower, but probably have better dent resistance?
    Stans are lighter and wider, but lots of people complain about dinging them easily, and that they aren’t eyeletted.

Personally, I’d pick stans, but I’m a light rider and rarely damage my wheels. If you regularly dent yours and like battering through rocks, hope might be a better choice.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I have WTB I23 frequencys on both my Yeti ASR5 and Cotic Solaris. Awesome wheels. built with hope pro2s.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Arch Ex rims, Hope Hubs and Sapim D-lights 1680 grams.

Whats the fascination with Flows, they’re DH rims?

Northwind

Well. They’re kinda marginal for dh really, I use ’em but then I weigh nowt and I’m not hard on kit. But they’re not a bad weight for all mountain, and they’re nicely wide.

njee20
    Free Member

Personally, I’d pick stans, but I’m a light rider and rarely damage my wheels. If you regularly dent yours and like battering through rocks, hope might be a better choice.

This, and I’d emphasise the “might”, they’re an unknown quantity at the moment.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve gone round this and…

Flows have a reputation in some circles for being easy to dent…
    also some say that no eyelets make them week if hammered…

Hope say the tech enduro was bought out to address these issues.
    They have the same internal width as flows according to the hope site.
    It sounds like they are a bit heavier, but will be stronger.

Given the back up from hope, I have decided to take the plunge and ordered a rear wheel from 18 bikes.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I thought they might be a bit OTT unless your taking the belt and braces approach.

I’ve just built up a set of Arch Ex on Hope hubs, I just hope I don’t end up regretting it as I’m quite heavy at 100kg, I don’t get up to anything too gnarly though.

Northwind

The flows are certainly easier to dent than, say, a Mavic 721. But folks mistake hardness with strength, I’ve straightened a million dents out of one of my Flows but it’s still basically straight despite all that (and hey, if it bends easily, it’ll bend back easily 😉 ) Always had a feeling that the softness of the rim makes for a bit of sacrificial protection/crumple zone.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies folks. I have ended up going for hopes on a set of wtb i25s hopefully they aren’t too heavy. It means I am getting them this week though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wheel choice Flows or Enduro's’ is closed to new replies.