Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel change best to drop a bit of (bike) weight? :)
  • maxray
    Free Member

I have a hardtail (Kinesis) that currently nudges around 27lbs. the frame is approx 3.3lb and is adorned with coil revs, lx groupset, race face xc finishing kit and lx hubs with mavic 317 rims.

As i need to get a new cassette and chain and have a bit of a work bonus to blow I was thinking about trying to shave a bit off the weight.

Would a new wheelset be the best option and if so any suggestions for a lighter wheelset? I am loathed to swap the forks for air ones although there is nearly half a pound difference (3.75air – 4.2coil) as I am not going for a ridiculous light build, just seems a 3lb frame should be able to be built up to <25lb fairly easily?

alpin
    Free Member

jey boy

ourmaninthenorth

Just have a decent pony before you go riding. you'll easily shave off three pounds…. 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

lol 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

If I could combine my pony with another 3lb off the bike though that would be a marked difference.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Always good to have lighter wheels until they break. What's wrong with air forks? Had both and both great. Don't skimp tyres unless you live somewhere easy going. Traction rules.

Does sound on the heavy side, what kind of riding you doing? Stans look nice and light.

maxray
    Free Member

Just general trail stuff really, Cannock is my home turf and then trips out to the Black Mountains and the like. Have heard DTSwiss rims mentioned on here alot but dont really know what is a decent lightweight wheelset at the mo. Does tubeless work out lighter or does the goo weigh as much as a tube?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel change best to drop a bit of (bike) weight? :)’ is closed to new replies.