Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheel Building question
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

My first wheel build…

So I built my front wheel fine, its true and round and all the spokes are round about the same tension and its nice and tight.

So I turn to my rear wheel which I had laced previously.

If I tighten all the spokes to the same number of nipple turns, the shorter drive side spokes get very tight, where as the non drive side spokes are noticably under a lot less tension. Tightening the non drive side spokes up to anywhere even close to the tension of the drive side spokes results in the dish of the wheel being massively out.

Have I bought or been sold the wrong length spokes or am I missing something else here?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Because the wheel is not symmetrical the drive side spokes need to be tighter

clubber
    Free Member

For once I agree with TJ – driveside spokes on a dished wheel will always be significantly tighter.

sv

There will always be a tension difference between the sides. Keeping the dish right tighten both sides sufficiently to ensure the lower tension side is tight enough.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Ok, that actually kind of makes sense. Though when i was trying to figure it out I didnt think it did at the time.

Back at it tonight then!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

There shouldn’t be a significant difference in tension, but there will be a difference. If you think you’re about finished with it, have a look down on the nipple from the rim, so you can see the spoke coming into the nipple (if that makes sense) you should have the spoke about half way through the grove in the top of the nipple where it sits in the rim. If its not that far in, spokes are too short, if it’s protrusing from the nipple, then the spokes are too long.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW you don’t need that level of precision with spoke length at all.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Surely that depends on the quality of workmanship you’re after?
    I prefer my wheels to be as close to perfect as possible & everyone I build is done so in the same manner.
    I have a good reputation for my wheel building & wish to keep it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Building question’ is closed to new replies.