Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wheel building kit
  • womp
    Free Member

A group of us are looking at buying a wheel building kit, what’s the best ?

I’ve had a look at the park stuff (stand, dishing tool, spoke tensioner) which seems to have a few mixed reviews on CRC

I’ve also seen the DT Swiss truing stand recommended but at £900 is it that much better ?

Park truing stand

DT Swiss truing stand

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I have used a cheapish Minoura one and managed to build some decent wheels on it, being guided by the wheelpro book. The book has instructions on how to build a stand as well although I’ve never got round to it. If there are a few of you this might not take long and it will be more cost effective.

wwaswas

That DT Swiss looks like it’d last for serveral lifetimes and is thus probably overkill for a bunch of mates building a wheel or two each every year?

Which ever one you buy make sure it’ll cope with all the axle lengths diameters that are available – you can buy Park adapters for those ‘V’ slots they use to allow 15/20mm hubs to be fitted and they should cope with 150mm widths too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

Also have a look at the Ultimate / Feedback one. It looks improved from when I got mine, and it’s not bad. Not spot on but good enough possibly.

aracer
    Free Member

£900 😯 – are you planning on setting up a wheel building business? If not I don’t see how you can possibly justify that – I build mine on a cheapy ~£30 job which works just fine and isn’t really that much more trouble to use (admittedly it won’t work with funny axles, but then they didn’t exist when I bought it).

njee20
    Free Member

Mental, I’ve never even seen a shop with the DT one! My LBS has the Park one, and it’s very nice to use.

wwaswas

I’d have a look at the on-one Jobsworth with the dial guages – it’s a solid bit of kit.

nickjb
    Free Member

There was one in classifieds a few day ago. No relation to the seller, or any idea about it, just noticed it in passing. That Park looks like more than enough to me, but I just turn my bike upside down 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Park is the go to stand for most bike shop mechanics, no need for dials etc.

This one: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOJWWTS/jobsworth-wheel-truing-workshop-stand is a good copy.

granny_ring

So can you use 15/20mm adapters on the jobsworth stand?

wwaswas
    kayak23

I made my own out of Birch Ply. It’s rad.
    I’d have gone for the Park one if bought though ideally.

hatter

Go for the Park TS, rock solid, lifetime warranty with upgrades and adaptors for every standard going.

You’ll also still be able to get all the parts for it ten years from now.

granny_ring

Cheers was.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building kit’ is closed to new replies.