Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wheel building conundrum- spoke holes on both flanges aligned?!!….hmmm
  • hopefiendboy

Hi All

Just been asked to build a rear wheel by a friend- old Hope Ti Glide XC rear disk hub an a m231 rim. Now, normally I would expect the spoke holes to be offset between one flange and the other, but it appears that they are perfectly aligned! Thus, when building it conventionally 3x one set of spokes is always too long (3-4mm) accounting for the lack of offset.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Use shorter spokes on one side 🙂

hopefiendboy

sure, that is obvious! 😉

but the alignment is not!

aracer
    Free Member

ti-glide, the ones where the hub shell has 3 parts bonded together? I presume the bonding has gone allowing the parts to twist. Is it possible to twist it back by lacing up the NDS, putting the freehub in a vice and turning the rim? I’d think it might sort itself out when putting tension on – the only issue then is that the hub won’t transmit torque, so all drive loads on one set of spokes and all braking torque on the other set (which is what I’d suspect might have resulted in it debonding in the first place).

hopefiendboy

aracer- yes it is, and that is what i suspect

zbonty

Do you want to be building a wheel from a 20 year old bonded hub where one side has moved? Except in the name of science/experimentation!

Got two different Ti glides myself but both pre disk

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’d be having thoughts about whether it is safe or right to build it up dude if the flange has unbonded any wheel builder worth his salt would say NO as I’ve seen loads of those bonded hubs die over the years

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Some hubs have been made this way too. I dont think hope did this but they may have. This kind of drilling pattern is done with some paired lacing on specially drilled rims. Its a bit of a mare to be honest and i would not bother, i have refused such builds before as the extra time to work out what you need to do is weel time you coild be using doing something else.

hopefiendboy

yeah, PITA indeed. No real way of determining if it was like this from manufacture, but he still wants it built and leaves me trying to find out the solutiuon haha.

should have turned it down before committing!

simonbowns
    Free Member

No real way of determining if it was like this from manufacture

I’d give Hope a call, they’re usually pretty happy to natter to people.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building conundrum- spoke holes on both flanges aligned?!!….hmmm’ is closed to new replies.