• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheel building
  • seanthesheap
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good wheel building stand without paying hundreds for a park TS2 or resorting to the cheapo old fork improvised option. I plan to build more than 1 set of wheels.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

The jobsworth park tool ts2 copy is OK from what I’ve seen

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got the cheap one with a dishing tool from Rose Bikes when it was on sale (here). Is not brilliant but it was cheap and it’s just for occasional building and repairs. Does the job and packs away nicely.

If it was something I did a lot I’d get that Jobsworth one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did consider that ^^^ but the Rose one was only about 20 quid when I brought it and I have no spare time! The Musson book however is very good.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The jobsworth park tool ts2 copy is OK from what I’ve seen

I have one bought on a special offer I think about £50. It is a solid enough lump but nothing like the quality I’d expect from Park, I’m happy enough at the price. BUT using Parks dome shaped adaptors a 142mm hub didn’t fit. I remedied this with an angle grinder but with an eye on the future with boost etc it may need a little more ‘adjustment’. For that reason I’d recommend something else and the other more basic looking Jobsworth may be a better bet or even the single sided Park one if you can find it at a good price. You only need a pointer one side I’m really not sure what the benefit of two little antlers is since there is no way I would trust it to have the correct dish.

TLDR check the stand you buy fits the hubs and rims you will be building

dufusdip
    Free Member

M-Wave worked quite well as the ‘stays’ can widen to accommodate a variety of sizes. Fairly budget (got them on sale at £55) but did the job on four wheels that are amazingly still intact and true-ish

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Used TS2 off eBay. I paid a bit over £100 for mine.
    That said, it’s now paid for itself a few times over. 🙂

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Thank you everyone.

epicyclo

Cheap?

Old front fork in your vice, and ditto with the rear section of an old frame.

Just need zipties for gauges. Even better if it’s a frame with canti mounts, you can mount permanent guides that you McGyver out of an old coathanger or other wire.

And it won’t go out of adjustment.

Or simply turn your bike upside down….

tthew

I’ve got the cheaper Park one, it’s called the TS-8 now. Mine differs a bit in that the whole leg slides over rather than just a sliding drop out, but it’s a nice heavy, solid thing and loads cheaper than the TS-2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building’ is closed to new replies.