Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wheel builders opinions please
  • blastit
    Free Member

My Dt swiss wheels 350 hubs with ally nipples keep popping off. So going to take oppotunity to replace rims, nipples and spokes so I can lighten up at same time . So I am thinking
    Stans Arch Mk3 29er
    Revolution 2.0/1.5 spokes
    Brass Nipples that come with spokes

To go on my Trance 29er and Whyte T129 .

Would that be a sensible build ??

schmiken

Seems ok to me, how hard a rider are you? Do you have a good wheel builder you trust?

blastit
    Free Member

Not that hard of a rider as getting a bit old to fall off now so have to be sensible.
    I will build them up myself as I have done a few over the years and they seem to last better than the ones I have paid for.

dovebiker

If you want reliable, durable wheels I wouldn’t bother with Revs – even at 60kg I found them a PITA to keep tensioned. Rebuilt the wheel with double-butted and never had to touch them again.

Rorschach
    Free Member

As above.D-lights instead of revs.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ll second D-lights

flap_jack
    Free Member

Comps not Revs.

Northwind

Comp Race seems a great option, if you can find them in the sizes and quantities that you want- but they’re not so common and they’re a bollocks to google for 😛 My Lightbicycle wheels used them and they’ve been great.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’d second going with comps over revs.

swanny853

Built a few with d lights now and happy with them, if that helps

andyl
    Free Member

D-lights or Alpina F1 (much cheaper)

benpinnick

Depends on how many holes your hub runs I would say. If its a 32h DT hub, then a 28H build on comps would only be a bit heavier (40g maybe), and much easier to live with in the long run. The reduction in cost vs. a rev build paying for most of the hub swap costs I would suspect. If its already a 28h hub then probably comp race would be my choice if going light but as Northwind says, finding them can be a pain!

blastit
    Free Member

Thanks for info guys ,
    28 hole hubs
    Those ACI Alpina F1 seem to be half the price of D-Lights any one know the spec on them ?? Had a google but not much info

benpinnick

ACI Spokes are good. Their nipples (ABS2) are great. PITA to source mind.

blastit
    Free Member

found the ACI spokes here
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b66s156p2869/ACI-SPOKES-Alpina-F1-Double-Butted
    Nipples are Batpower !!! are they good ??

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve been using ACI spokes (from sdeals.com which is spa cycles) for a few years now instead of DT. No issues and they’re basically indistinguishable.

http://www.sdeals.com/index.php/home/wheels/spokes

andyl
    Free Member

If you want black ACI then cyclebasket in south wales (they have silver too)

Specs are 2.0 – 1.7 – 2.0 double butted. The D-light is slightly lighter as it’s 2.0-1.65-2.0 and the 1.65 bit goes right up to the thread but they are 90p each vs 40p each for the ACI (both black)

If it turns out you need some 286mm ones I had to order a pack of 100 as they only had 288mm upwards.

Andy

Er am i missing something here? How much do you weigh please OP?

blastit
    Free Member

Sorry Andy 13 stone ready to ride.

blastit
    Free Member

The other thing is what size nipples, as I see when I play with dt swiss spoke calc the spoke length changes.
    So are 12mm ones that come with those aci spokes ok ??

matts
    Free Member

At 13 stone, you may be better off with d-lights. Maybe even run Comps on the drive side given the dish with 350s is awful. Revs _might_ be OK if you ‘ride light’, but you need to be really careful building them up to avoid wind-up.

benpinnick

12mm will be fine. If you change DT nipple length the spoke remains the same I thought unless you hop to a different style of nipple? Other brands often the spoke shortens if the nipple gets longer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wheel builders opinions please’ is closed to new replies.