Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheel bearing press – recommendations anyone?
  • stugus
    Free Member

Evening all,
    Trying to replace my Mavic deemax rear wheel bearings and am struggling to find much choice. Anyone got any recommendations for a half decent one?

Cheers!

stu

orangeboy
    Free Member

I mostly use the enduro stainless ones with the green seal 440c series and seem to last well

Edit ignore that I should have read the title a little better

daern
    Free Member

Not familiar with these wheels, but are you trying to get out the first “semi-blind” bearing?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are you trying to remove or press them in?

stugus
    Free Member

I’m trying to press fresh ones in. Its complicated a little by the fact the axel has a ‘lip’ in the centre so I have to press the 2nd bearing in with the axel in the hub.

leeerm
    Free Member

I use a Wheels Manufacturing press kit. It’s pretty good.

If I was a home mechanic though I’d likely just fashion something together with an old threaded axle and a socket set. 9/10 you can get by with a socket set.

daern
    Free Member

Depending on the type of axle, I would use a threaded bar through the axle with bearing presses on either side. If you get the threaded bar close to the same dimension as the axle, you’ll get the bearings in straighter. I would also apply a smear of lithium grease into the bearing seats to help them go in and out more easily.

Is this an option for you here?

stugus
    Free Member

Yup, home mechanic here so will probably go down the threaded axle path, I hadn’t thought of the socket set idea though – cheers.

The hub axle is a 12mm bolt thru so I’m hoping the threaded bolt will go through the axle easy enough.

daern
    Free Member

As a note, sockets aren’t the best thing in the world because they tend to be chamfered at the sides. Proper bearing presses have sharp edges, so they only press on the bearing outer and not the seals. That’s not to say they don’t work, it’s just not as good and can damage the bearings. As a note, you can de-chamfer sockets with a bench grinder if you want to make some ghetto bearing presses 🙂

benpinnick

Wheels Mfg do a home one thats cheaper than the pro one, as it doesnt have the whole bearing kit and no brass bushes on the handles, but they sell the presses seperately so assuming you’re happy to order the bearing presses one at a time as you go, its excellent value.

drofluf
    Free Member

I use the threaded axle approach and use the old bearings to press the new ones in to avoid pressing on the seals

andybrad

threaded axle or depending on the setup a vice and a machined spacer (i find that you can get misalignment with the threaded bar)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheel bearing press – recommendations anyone?’ is closed to new replies.