Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wheel Alignment Realtime help required
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi,

My DTSwiss XR1 wheel on the back is wildly misaligned in the frame. i.e. the tire almost rubs against the chainstay. Is there a way to adjust this with cone spanners and that?

Cheers

J0N
    Free Member

IS this a buckle or is the wheel true and continuously almost rubbing on the stay?

J0N
    Free Member

Not sure if adjusting the cones will help. You should have about 8mm of axel showing on either side of your hub. If this is balanced then the wheel may be dished incorrectly. Self adjust or £10 down you LBS.

Eggbox
    Free Member

does it almost touch the seatstay aswell on the same side? If it doesn’t then your rear triangle could be a bit bent and no amount of fiddling with cone spanner will cure it.

J0N
    Free Member

Didn’t think of that. That would be some damage. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not really enough info to answer.

If someone has mucked about with cones and put spacers in the wrong place then re-doing that will sort things. There should be 4-5mm of bare axle on each end of it, not 8mm.

If the wheel is out of dish (i.e. rim not centred over hub & axle) or buckled then you have to dish it or true it.

I have presumed the frame is OK (have never seen one this badly out, although I have seen one where the tyre rubbed the seat stay).

jcromton
    Free Member

That’d be a negative on a buckle.

Hmmm, hope it won’t be the rear triangle.

Check it out:

J0N
    Free Member

Maybe just 5mm. Strange to think that just 20mm between 2 wheels being on and off. 😕

J0N
    Free Member

The bikes carbon. Does carbon bend and stay (no pun intended) bent?
    Do you have adjustable dropouts. More pics needed.

J0N
    Free Member

pics required:
    Hub – wheel in place.
    Hub – wheel out of frame,

Eggbox
    Free Member

That looks very far across. It looks at an angle. Show us a picture of the wheel position at the seat stay

jcromton
    Free Member

Ok, I think I have a little bit more insight, if I push the wheel to the side when loose in the dropouts then it goes to the correct position.

It’s equal distance of bare axel showing on either side.

BearBack
    Free Member

does it rotate in this orientation? doesnt move from side to side?

If so, loosen QR, reseat, retighted and see if its still the same.

Sorry if this sounds condescending.. but I’ve maintained lots of bikes, but still managed to waste an hour trying to get v brakes evenly balanced with the axle not seated correctly in the dropouts.

jcromton
    Free Member

It could be panic over actually, the axel seems pretty loose in the drop outs so you can adjust the wheel before doing up the QR and it seems to be ok. Is this an ideal solution?

simondbarnes

It looks like you haven’t got the wheel sat in the dropouts properly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d say it looks like it’s a badly dished wheel. Carbon doenst generally bend and stay, unless it’s a combination of carbon and alloy (fairly normal) and its the alloy parts that have bent. Unlikely though. (Unless it isnt mounted in the dropouts correctly, which is obviously the fisrt check lol).

J0N
    Free Member

How big are your drop outs? surely the axel shouldn’t be able to move (other than out) once in the drop outs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

either there’s an issue with the dropout or you didn’t have it in properly (which would be a FAIL 😉 )

jcromton
    Free Member

Dropouts are ordinary size, and there’s a tiny bit of lateral movement when the wheel is seated. I reckon it’s a fail really. Bit of a faff though making sure the wheel is aligned properly. Gonna have to redo the brake too. Been like that for ages!

Is there a reason in particular for this? Or do I still have issues? Are photos still required?

Thanks so much so far.

J0N
    Free Member

If you can do the QR up tight enough so that it doesn’t move then should be fine but if your pedal stroke can pull the wheel to the side then it could present a problem.
    You could pack your drop out somehow so that the seated axed is snug in the drop out. This could prove fiddly.

jcromton
    Free Member

This is true. I’ll give it a blast and see if there’s any repositioning.

Thanks very much for all your help, it would appear I’m a bit thick. University education and all that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Alignment Realtime help required’ is closed to new replies.