Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Wheel advice for a friends old commuter
  • grumm
    Free Member

Friend of mine from work wants to replace the wheels on their old bike that got nicked and trashed – they say 16×622 on them which is the size innit? Would you have to get those exact wheels? I’m guessing they are not that common. She just wants some second hand wheels that will work as cheap as poss cos she likes the bike.

Sorry fine all this road wheel sizing stuff a bit confusing.

Stoner
    Free Member

622 is the ERTO/ISO size and whilst originally it may have been a funny imperial measurement, you will be able to fit 700c wheels in the frame without much bother – I have done just that to a 1970s falcon frame that originally had some 27″ something or other weinmans in there.

see here for more info
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks very much for that – had a quick read of it. Do I need to find a 16 x 700c wheel then – what is the widest I could get away with do you reckon or does it depend on the forks/frame?

That Sheldon Brown thing suggests that the diameter bit is the crucial measurement. Still confused. 😕

midlifecrashes

16 x 622 is pretty standard roadie wheel, nothing too fancy. Most 700c wheels should be OK, so you should be able to get a useful set cheap as chips, depending on the overall level of components on the bike.

grumm
    Free Member

Ah ok nice one – I will maybe try the wheels off my road bike on it just to check they fit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Wheel advice for a friends old commuter’ is closed to new replies.