Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • (wheat)-FREE BEER
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

My dietary regime is a-changing for a while, and wheat in any form is being removed.
    This means an end to pizza – a loss I can reluctantly accept – and, more crucially, beer! Well, most beers. Surely not ALL beers are made with wheat?
    Has anyone any knowledge of, or suggestions for, beers made from other grains like barley, rye or even rice? They'd need to be reasonably available as well as reasonably flavoursome.

I'm alright for whisky as I can turn to Canadian Club or rye bourbons instead, but a man without a pint is ….. well, unthinkable.

hp_source

I bought a bottle of one of these from morrisons the other day….

Greens Beers

Think it's the 'trailblazer – low carb' not had it yet though but it's beer, so it must be good 🙂

cp

wheat free beer suggestions

i think there's quite a few – google em! Never tried one myself, though it's an interesting concept, and I might just give one a try 🙂

toby1

Isn't that nats pee Budweiser made from rice?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I was hoping to avoid the 'B' word

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Green's it is then.
    I'll raise the first one to you, hp_source.
    Cheers my good fellow. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

tsingtao is rice i think (chinese beer)

had some coeliac friendly beer – worst tast ever – tasted like coffee and beer mixed – foul.

Mackem

wine

allthepies
    Free Member

Wheat is used in quite a few beers but certainly not all. The main grain ingredient in beer is barley. Pick some of your favorite beers and do a bit of research, chances are that quite a few don't use wheat anyway.

PePPeR

How about Cider? Or even better Pear Cider, yum yum, Hic!

Northwind

Yeah, I just switched to cider, I've not found a wheatfree beer I like tbh. Though apparently, many beers have a low enough gluten content that they can be consumed by coeliacs etc, budweiser for instance has the same average gluten level as some "gluten free" beer. But it's still budweiser.

Oh, for whiskey, scotch is all safe for consumption as part of a gluten free diet- the proteins aren't present in the final product.

(the comment on barley is spot on but if you're on a gluten free diet rather than simply wheat free, barley also contains gluten.)

Oh, you can do wheat-free pizzas. But the bases you can buy in the shops are mince, you really need to make your own and it's hard work. But worth it!

Shandy
    Free Member

I find this stuff drinkable enough, no wheat, just barley. When I first realised I was wheat intolerant I cut it out completely but I can now get away with the odd slip-up.

When I started avoiding wheat I lost a bit of weight in general bloating. I have more energy and don't suffer the big highs and lows in blood sugar that I used to get.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘(wheat)-FREE BEER’ is closed to new replies.