Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What've you been fixing on your bike this weekend?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Building a new Salsa El Mariachi from the remains of my 5. Except that due to changing standards and whatnot I needed to buy lots of new bits and bobs.

Spent ages yesterday trying to mount tubeless tyres on rims without the correct rim strip or valve, without success. Then I had to refit and bleed the rear brake hose because I had to cut it to get it out of the 5 frame, shortened and bled the front.. finally got it all sorted. Rode around the street, tested the front brake and snap! Lever clamp snapped!

And I’ve realised I probably do need a flat bar on it – the riser I have is too high.

Bregante

I’ve been trying to remove the freewheel on my karate monkey to a fit a lovely new White Industries one. Bloody hell it’s on tight! Event resorted to clamping the freewheel tool in my vice but still can’t persuade it to loosen.

LBS job I fear

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not repairing, but my mtb bars have just gone from 711 to 750, and my road bars from 42 to 40. Quite happy with my bar taping too which is my most hated job due to OCD levels of perfectionism.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing. All my bikes are working perfectly. I spend my time fixing other peoples…….. 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

My lyriks, when I say fixing I mean taking apart to find out what’s wrong. Need to wait for bits before fixing occurs.

somafunk

Finally got round to wrapping my Jones bars and fitting the usb dynamo charger plug and front/rear lights to my tripster with plenty of heatsink tubing applied to keep the water out. USB charger plug fits into stem so no extra wires running loose.

I can now watch a movie whilst keeping the phone charged – technology…ain’t it great how we can escape for a ride in the great outdoors and take our toys/needs with us 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

No repairs but have put some winter roadie tyres on my MavM40C’s, got me some tan walled Clements which make my R5ca look Belgian.

Which is ace.

8)

woodster

Attempted to get my new Chunky Monkey on and tubelessed. Gave up and popped a tube in there.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not really fixing, just tensioning the chain on my SS, tightening up brakes and generally trying to make everything feel less loose and rattly.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Cleaning my Saracen Mantra for sale. Dropped the wheels out and noticed that the mech hanger had cracked. Replaced and nearly ready for sale, just need to take a few pictures in the day light.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Mostly cleaning tyre marks off my bike after yesterdays morvelo battle royale cycle speedway 😀

jimmy

servicing the bike for winter – new cables and pads. stopped short at re-bleeding Elixirs. Not a task for a hungover, cold Sunday.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. just remembered why I posted this.. almost had an utter disaster. I was bleeding the brakes using the Hope bleed tool – the one that uses compressed air from a tyre to force fluid through the system. Just as I was undoing the cap on the lever I remembered that I hadn’t disconnected the pressure…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

set my new nobby nics up tubeless on the mtb, then swapped tyres on my cx bike….pretty much it really apart from some OCD level cleaning on my cx bike.

andybrad

swapped chain for a cheapie HGX one for winter grinding, changed the jagwire lex cables for XTR and checked the bearings.

Is it usual to have a little drag in the bearings o the rear?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Fitted new to me forks to my new to me ti 456 only to discover I only have 20mm adaptors for the front hub and not the 15mm I need. Have got some for a sun ringle hub but only one side fits the hope hub so waiting on some from CRC. Also the new granny ring is a 26 and the old one was a 22, hoping the 2lb saving on the frame will make up for the higher gearing. Also needed a new middle ring, new cables, front mech and seat collar. She who must be obeyed doesn’t know about most of these little extras.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Literally everything today. Felt like a full time job. I’m feeling nice, and my wife wanted my Nomad, so I’ve stripped her bike down, as the frame is sold already, cleaned all the other bits up ready to get them sold too.

Then I started on my bike, stripped it down, replaced all the bearings, serviced her Pikes ready to go on, bled brakes, build up everything ready to go. Fitted and bled 2 Reverb stealth’s set her wheels up tubeless, so they are ready to go.

I’m just waiting on part of a chain guide, some new bars and a new saddle and hers is done. My new bike should be here this week too, so I’ll have another one to build up.

cnud
    Free Member

Much to my suprise, all four chainring bolts snapped 1/2 a mile into my ride today. Fortunately for me I was at one of those namby pamby trail centres with a shop and workshop space. Think I’ll chuck a couple in my backpack from now on

Selled
    Free Member

Been fixing the engine, I.e. me.

Sitting on sofa with kids all day. Wrapped up trying to get the better of a cold!!!!

Northwind

Quick change of mech-hanger yesterday… Should probably do the gear cable on the commuter as the ride home up the hill kind of sucked on Friday in the 52:11

I do believe nothing else needs fixed! Which is weird. Better break something tomorrow

Scapegoat

I’ve stripped and serviced a Magura Thor 140 fork. Initially the rebound adjuster foot was seized in through corrosion and the damper side was weeping oil. A soak in plus gas has freed the adjuster which has been cleaned up. The lowers were bone dry with evidence of corrosion around the wiper seal seats, but bushes and stanchions look perfect. No servicing instructions available anywhere, but an adjustable spanner fits the 28mm spanner flats on the top of the damper leg (you pull out the gold Albert select knob and remove two tiny Torx screws holding the blue platform dial)

The top damper assembly needs no special tools, but a lot of examining and use of logic required to see how the thing is put back together, and after a couple of aborted efforts involving a pingfukkit thanks to a tiny captive bearing, I managed to reassemble it with newly greased seals. It’s screwed back into the leg with fresh fluid now, and the lowers have been put back together using a fox wiper seal kit I had knocking about.

I was going to sell it, but my conscience won’t allow me to sell something that absolutely demands a dealer only service, so now I’m in the market for a new frame to stick it on, just as soon as I’ve sold my road bike.

nach
    Free Member

I had a big list of things to fix on four bikes this weekend, and two wheels to build. All I managed was dismantling a BMX, indexing the road bike, and loafing around eating chocolate.

molgrips – Member
    Oh yeah.. just remembered why I posted this.. almost had an utter disaster. I was bleeding the brakes using the Hope bleed tool – the one that uses compressed air from a tyre to force fluid through the system. Just as I was undoing the cap on the lever I remembered that I hadn’t disconnected the pressure…

I was bleeding a hope recently, with some tube and an old empty lube bottle. The seal was good enough that it built up loads of air pressure in the bottle without me realising, then sprayed dot 5.1 all over the caliper inside and out as I took the tube off the bleed nipple :/

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

put on new pikes :-), replaced cassette and free hub (Hope one so skinned knuckles getting it off) and rear hub bearings (much swearing)

spicystealth
    Free Member

Built my sons on-one 456 on Friday till 10 pm ready for a dad’s and lads ride Saturday ,he woke up Saturday not feeling well so didn’t ride it LOL

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

cnud – Member
    Much to my suprise, all four chainring bolts snapped 1/2 a mile into my ride today. Fortunately for me I was at one of those namby pamby trail centres with a shop and workshop space. Think I’ll chuck a couple in my backpack from now on

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You need to buy yourself a torque wrench!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hope bleed tool – the one that uses compressed air from a tyre to force fluid through the system.

This intrigues me greatly.

I have been bleeding my brakes, but without the bottom syringe which broke. Seem to have somehow managed it.

gringo

Headset had seized up on the Cove yesterday so stripped that down, cleaned it up and put back together after packing it with nice new grease. Nothing else as it was too cold!

tomkerton
    Free Member

Trying to fix full mud guards over disc brakes on a roadie (CAADX). INFURIATING.

allthepies
    Free Member

I have fixed the “amount of mud affixed to the bikes” problem.

fasthaggis

Massive shed tidy and fixed some brakes for a mate.

Nice work Somafunk
    You now have me thinking about Jones bars (again),I just have to convince myself that they will be worth the money*.

* I suppose they will sell if I don’t get on with them

mjsmke

Stuck ultegra sti lever. Changes up but wont click to go down.

Jamie
    Free Member

I adjusted my ass saver a couple of mm to the left.

fasthaggis

mjsmke

Did you try the drowning it in WD40 trick(even better if you have an airline to blow through it)?

cnud
    Free Member

You need to buy yourself a torque wrench

you know what, that’s a good idea! I torque everything else.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I spend my time fixing other peoples……..

oh yeah, and fitted my old 711 Haven bars (and a matching old Haven stem) to better half’s bike (which is already wearing my cast-off Lyriks…). And changed brake cable inners, properly indexed the gears and stripped, cleaned and re-greased a near solid headset on a mate’s bike.

Got a bottle of red out of it.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

5 minute bubble bleed for my SLX brakes. Made the world of difference

tang
    Free Member

New pads and oil top up on my TRP hyrd plus new bar tape.

padkinson
    Free Member

Had to replace the pads on the rear brake (Elixir 5) of the winter bike, then the pistons wouldn’t retract to the point that the disc just wouldn’t go in with the new pads.
    So undid the bleed port and pushed the pistons out until a little bit of ‘orrible DOT 4 fluid came out (straight onto my shirt no less), which completely fixed the problem – brakes worked well with no rubbing.

Well they still worked until the first corner of the second lap of the race today, when the back brake completely deserted me, not great. Luckily it was only Thetford, so not too much braking needed.

tomhoward

Prompted entirely by this thread, I’ve turned the tyre round the right way that I fitted the wrong way in my haste to ride some new wheels. I should add, these wheels are now 2 years old. And are now on their second frame. The stupid thing is, it’s always annoyed me, but never quite enough to do anything about it. Until I needed something to do to contribute to this thread.

So thanks for the inspiration kick up the arse mols.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I fitted some mudguards to my tourer. SKS, all stealthy black. I’m so core.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What've you been fixing on your bike this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.