Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • What's your Threshold Power reading?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite a few different versions but those zones are pretty much what I use.

Vortexracing

Quite a few different versions but those zones are pretty much what I use.

cheers, that’ll do for me

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Strava reckons 2.89w/kg, I may as well just throw myself under a bus.

Edit: just found a 2.98 – still crap

Haze

Do you set zones to indoor or outdoor FTP? Suppose it depends where you do most of your training? I get another 5% away from the turbo.

Does normalised power figure anywhere in calculations?

stevious

Normalised power is just a way of measuring overall how hard a ride was. You shouldn’t have to normalise your effort for an FTP test as it should be a reasonably steady effort (i.e no coasting, cafe stops, traffic lights, etc).

The Joe Friel Power Meter Handbook does a good job of describing this stuff.

Haze

Cheers, makes sense…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did my first ever ftp test the other day. 331w average over 20mins, giving me an ftp of 314w (95%) and a power to weight of 3.91w/kg. I’ve been doing mainly a base building program these last couple of months inside (along with long Z2 rides outside) but I’m just moving onto the second phase of threshold turbo work (this is where the hard work really starts 😮 ) so this combined with some lard loss (80kg atm, hopefully get down to 75-76 by spring) should see that w/kg increase.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Interesting stuff for a geek like me…I bought a Turbo Trainer a few months ago in an attempt to keep my fitness over winter rather than for a specific purpose or event. However, I’m also planning to go to the Alps in September and fancied having a crack at a few TdF climbs including ADH. When I bought the TT, I dabbled with a couple of programmes including Veloreality and I bought their ADH video for comparison purposes.
    Per Zwifts’ 20 minute FTP test, my output is around 274W and I weigh ~90kg so I’m underwhelmingly “moderate” (3.1w/kg) according to the chart Wilburt posted. In my mind, I had hoped to crack ADH in under an hour…which would seem impossible now unless I can improve my FTP by 20%.
    When I last used the Veloreality app, it recorded a time of 1hr 9min for the ADH which is impressively accurate compared at Alex Simmons chart!
    I think my biggest issue tackling ADH will be the altitude unless I’ve been staying above >1500 m I’ll suffer badly.

wilburt
    Free Member

Despite my initial misquote of the Alex Simmons chart I have found it to be accurate with myself and a few friends who’s w/kg I loosely know and have ridden ADH with.

I don’t think you’ll have a problem with altitude btw its under 2000m so unless you are unusally susceptible shouldnt be an issue, you can continue on to some higher cols but even then I think most people are ok until above 2500 metres or so and the highest in the region is c.2200m.

We also seem to be being a bit harsh on ourselves, that chart covers pro riders so I would expect most people not getting paid to ride a bike to be nearer the bottom than top.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll have a problem with altitude btw its under 2000m so unless you are unusally susceptible shouldnt be an issue

I live a sea level and run out of puff very quickly at ~1000m until I’ve had a couple of days and nights at/above that altitude. Luckily, I also live at the bottom of a couple of ski-hills so can ride from sea level to ~1040m when the weather improves 🙂

Dogsby

Test day today!

FTP 236
    THR 168

Watts/kilo 3.19

Shan’t be doing the Tour this year but on the way up from the first test at 222.

Dogsby

mrblobby
    Free Member

Around 470 watts…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5K9t6PDf7Q[/video]

Dogsby

Something to aim for!,

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What's your Threshold Power reading?’ is closed to new replies.