Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • What's your Threshold Power reading?
  • Dogsby

Hi All,

I have just completed the 20′ TP test on a Watt Bike with a TP reading of 222W. Clearly this gives plenty of room for improvement but would be really interested in others folks experiences and readings.

Dogsby

EddieFiola
    Free Member

It also depends how heavy you are.

Mines 330 and I’m 66kg

Dogsby

Eddie,

I am 78kg which makes my readings even more depressing!

EddieFiola
    Free Member

You also don’t know how much I ride or my age so there are lots of factors here.
    But the main thing is how you handle a bike in a race, you may whallop me down hill?

Dogsby

Eddie,

I would doubt that! Just in the first week of a training programme so we will see how I get on.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Yep exactly, I’ve raced for years and am a big numbers geek.
    Things to consider are can you push yourself harder when you might end up second? I struggle with emptying myself on a turbo where I can in ‘anger’ it’s all relative in my eyes.

Goodluck with the program, stick it for 12 weeks then loads of adaptation will of happened

wilburt
    Free Member

Mines 330 and I’m 66kg

Your also 5w/kg and ready for a GC challenge, well done but probably not typical of the average stw’er.

OP- 2.8w/kg is pretty good.

For perspective 3w/kg is an hour up ADH.

Dogsby

Eddie,

I am following Joe Friels programme so I will hopefully be able to see my progress in the coming months. I’ll let you know in four weeks!

prawny

I wouldn’t feel too bad, when I did the Zwift from test I got 165w and I’m 80kg+ 😕
    I’m not that slow though.

Dogsby

Cheers Wilburt, makes me feel a bit better!

njee20
    Free Member

Mines 330 and I’m 66kg

Is it? That’s pretty bloody good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I could do 330W for 20 minutes, maybe more over the summer, probably less now.

eskay

Also depends what was used to measure the power. Wattbike should be pretty good, virtual power on trainer road or similar can be innacurate (but that does not matter if it is repeatable).

taxi25
    Free Member

Eddie can still ride a bit for an oldie !! I won’t blow his cover on here, but his figures would be true enough.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Taxi25 do I know you? Thanks for acknowledgement

Njee20 – yes it is, but I’m rubbish at going round corners so it’s all relative!!

njee20
    Free Member

I could do 330W for 20 minutes, maybe more over the summer, probably less now.

You don’t weigh 66kg though.

5w/kg is bordering on world class. 10 seconds on Google shows Eddie’s identity. He’s good, I’d suggest maybe calibrating the power meter 😉

Edit: too slow – all due, you must be utterly atrocious at going around corners!

ferrals
    Free Member

According to trainerroad my FTP is 307 and I weigh 57kg, however as I’m a prime example of a mid-field warrior I’m either a rubbish bike handler or trainerroad is wrong. I’m hoping it’s the latter!

To be fair, while numbers are great for training I don’t think they mean as much as aggression and desire when it comes to an xc or cx race

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Njee20, ha ha I might get a lower result if I caliberated it!
    I’ve done that figure on two separate machines , wonder if I can post my graph, I don’t have a biological passport though.
    I looked on google and didn’t find too much.

wilburt
    Free Member

Flippin eck , this is like a how much does my bike weigh thread!

taxi25
    Free Member

You’ve lapped me often enough at the cross lol, but that’s as far as it goes. Your identity isn’t much of a secret here in S.Wales.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have just completed the 20′ TP test on a Watt Bike with a TP reading of 222W. Clearly this gives plenty of room for improvement but would be really interested in others folks experiences and readings.

If this is your first test, you’ll soon see quite an improvement simply by getting better at doing the test.

wilburt
    Free Member

Your email may give it away?

Dogsby

Good table Wilburt

DT78
    Free Member

Last summer I was hovering around 4w/kg that was good enough to start troubling the local strava koms and generally in the top 20 of the gorricks. After illness and putting some weight on I’m around 3.5 ish. FTP test on Tuesday. Likely to be unhappy 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Your email may give it away

That’s what I did! Absolutely agree that getting better at the test is worth a good few watts! Probably more than you’ll manage to train!

TiRed

4.4 Watts/kg (67 kg) estimated from racing not a trainer. Threshold power is not what really matters though, as I have posted before. Power profile is what really counts and it should double from 20 min to 1 min to 5 seconds. Mine doesn’t so I am confined to be E123 pack fodder, a happy domestique, or a very unlikely veteran podium finisher (one day!).

I’d be better off competing in 100 mile time trials to be honest.

schmiken

301 Watts (measured via 20 minute FTP on a PowerTap). I weigh 72 kgs normally (bit overweight from Christmas at the mo….)

tom200

Mine is less than last week………more than next week. Bloody golfers elbow.

Jamz
    Free Member

4.4 Watts/kg (67 kg) estimated from racing not a trainer. Threshold power is not what really matters though, as I have posted before. Power profile is what really counts and it should double from 20 min to 1 min to 5 seconds. Mine doesn’t so I am confined to be E123 pack fodder, a happy domestique, or a very unlikely veteran podium finisher (one day!).

So you’re saying a top notch power profile would be like this:

20mins – 300W
    1min – 600W
    5s – 1200W

??

OP: I haven’t done a test since Christmas but I’ll probably do one next week – woohoooo!!!!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Your also 5w/kg and ready for a GC challenge, well done but probably not typical of the average stw’er.

OP- 2.8w/kg is pretty good.

For perspective 3w/kg is an hour up ADH

No chance!
    180w average for a 60kg rider is not going to get you up AdH in an hour!

A heavier rider at the same w/kg is going to be even slower.

Garry_Lager

No chance!
    180w average for a 60kg rider is not going to get you up AdH in an hour!

Yeah, looks like you need a bit more – Bloke here has plotted it out:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/lalpe-dhuez-one-for-mortals.html

3.8 W Kg-1 is required for the Alpe in an hour.

adsh
    Free Member

Are people remembering the x0.95 for 20minute tests? It makes 5w/kg pretty hard.

As an old git I prefer a longer test – can manage 3w/kg over 15hrs.

njee20
    Free Member

Are people remembering the x0.95 for 20minute tests? It makes 5w/kg pretty hard.

Interestingly the Watt Bike test doesn’t mention this. Bit of a daft oversight, but it implies that your 20 minute power is your threshold power.

wilburt
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like you need a bit more – Bloke here has plotted it out:

I was going by that chart but from memory, which is obviously as good as my wattage!

schmiken

That seems odd from Wattbike. I used the 95% rule – I got 317W average for 20 minutes.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a while since I looked, but it’s because they suggest you do a 3 minute test IIRC and it suggest zones from that. It’s not based on a ‘conventional’ FTP, but there’s nothing about the 95% thing.

From the Wattbike Website:

20 minute threshold test
    What is it: This is a test for experienced cyclists only. It is usually conducted at 75-80% of maximum minute power (Z5 heart rate and power training zone) and measures improvement in sustaining a high percentage of maximal aerobic power. The 20 minute test can be used to estimate functional threshold power (FTP)

When to use it: The 20 minute threshold test is a progress test which can be used by experienced cyclists to check progress throughout a specific training plan or at the beginning of a programme to estimate FTP.

Doesn’t explicitly say 95% anywhere.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wattbike seem to have their own way of doing things. I think the 20 min field test thing for FTP comes from the Hunter Allen book. They are all just different ways of coming up with estimates, all will probably all give slightly different results.

(Here…
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/functional-threshold-power-the-most-important-power-metric
    … for the 95% of 20 min thing.)

Threshold power is just a small part of the picture too, especially for mtb. Things like a power profile across a range of durations is important, especially short hard efforts. And repeatability/recovery is a key factor too.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sure but given much of whats written in the thread will he double dutch to people new to power testing keeping it simple has value.

Being in that situation myself not long ago, I like the 20 minute test and he 95% formula transfers it into real world challenges like ADH quite nicely. I suppose its all only subjective testing but quite motivational intresting to hear what results others are getting.

Contributors so far are likely the top end of the range, the most common rides on zwift for example are quoted as being 2/2.5 w/kg which is a bit more realistic for most people.

DT78
    Free Member

The key is to pick one protocol and stick to it to measure your own progress. Comparing to others is interesting but not much use.

Other things like skills, kit and aero will make a difference to real world performance.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t weigh 66kg though.

That’s why I’m crap 🙂 The original question didn’t ask for weight!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What's your Threshold Power reading?’ is closed to new replies.