Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Whats your resting heart rate?
  • chiefgrooveguru

Age 36 and 46.

thered

Currently 60 but I’m not well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Any figures for rate of it dropping? When I used to run a lot mine would drop about 40bpm in the first 60 seconds after stopping.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Resting rate at home, if no booze been touched for a day 😉 , can be 50ish or mid 40s, and I’m 41. Noticeably down from 5-10 years ago but then I’ve taken up mtb during that time plus heart rate slows as you get older.

But as said, that rate doesn’t mean much. Speed of return to rest after a burst of exercise is key. During a ride HR is 150 average, 180ish max, and if we’ve stopped for a mechanical or social chat it goes down to 70 to 80 after a minute or two according to my HR monitor, though depends on what came before the rest. At home it drops back down, though in the early days of riding I’d find it would be elevated to 70 for almost a day after riding! but that’s not the case now.

Note that my ride HR is based on off road MTB. Road will be quite different I assume as there are less short bursts of energy, more long sustained effort.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Age 50. RHR of 44. Max on a bike 173.

rsvktm

Normal resting is 38, 44 yrs old, max is 187. Have an asthma check up every yr and if get diff nurse have to explain as they get concerned re low HR. Can only compare resting HR with yourself on a regular basis as everyone is different. As said recovery rate is a better indication of fitness, loads of stuff on the web about how to check that.

brakes
    Free Member

age 63 and RHR is 12
    what do I win?

Clong
    Free Member

Age 42, resting heart rate of 33.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Age 45, 47 BPM

wrecker
    Free Member

When I used to run a lot mine would drop about 40bpm in the first 60 seconds after stopping.

You’re OK. If it’s under 12 after 2 minutes, you’re going to die.

didgerman
    Free Member

48 and it’s 55. Used to be 39, it’s not a great indicator of fitness but I was a lot fitter when it was 39….

chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 coffees this morning and my lunch in the last half hour. Is that why its 85 and I’m only 36….. 😯

chris85
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member 
    Training for an ironman last year it was 37bpm at best. Not bad for a 39 year old. No idea what it is now.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Seems people think the lower the better? So many athletes on here isn’t there… 🙄

cr500dom
    Free Member

42 Years old, RHR averages 42 (Tracked every day)

I remember back at 23, I had a RHR of 44 and a return to resting from 80% of Maximal of about 70 seconds 😯

I haven’t checked rate of return lately but I bet its nowhere near as good as it was back then 🙁

fasthaggis

Your resting heart rate is simply that ,your heart rate at rest .

Heart Rate Recovery (HRR)is a more useful index of cardiovascular fitness.

terrahawk
    Free Member

41 bpm right now, at the tail-end of a cold with a few cups of tea drunk today. 43 years old.
    Ton’s right though – it’s the recovery after exertion bit that’s really important/willy-waving material.

AlexSimon

brakes – Member

age 63 and RHR is 12
    what do I win?
    12!

wors

Mine is 56 and I’m fit as f&*k 😆

As above recovery and vo2 max are a good indicator of fitness.

brakes
    Free Member

brakes – Member

age 63 and RHR is 12
    what do I win?

12!

it’s dropped to 8 now as the amphetamines have worn off…

gonzy
    Free Member

37 and 52bpm

leftyboy
    Free Member

Age 49. Resting heart rate 45. Been off the bike since early Oct due to shoulder injury but had RHR of <50 all my life whether I’m fat/thin or fit/unfit! Bad genetics for some stuff, cancer x 2, good for RHR which I always think is odd.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’re OK

Thanks wrecker, OK will do me. I’ve advised the fridge Stasi accordingly.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I used to know an incredibly fit woman whose RHR was 90. My brother is much fitter than me but his RHR is 20 higher (he got my father’s whizzy heart, I got my mother’s plodder). It only means anything if it changes for you.

mattbee

I’m 37, resting rate is 42, measured with a hrm whilst asleep. Rises to circa 46 when sitting on sofa.

tom200

35yrs 40bpm, not at the moment though cos I’m ill so it’s 55.

butcher

Age 35. RHR anywhere between 43 and 55, depending on time of year.

Was close to 70 about 4 or 5 years ago when I was drinking and smoking.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

44yo and 45 resting heart rate.

poltheball
    Free Member

Age 18, RHR 42, have had it at ~215 doing sprintervals in the gym though..

Haze

42 years old, counted pulse rate currently says 58 but Garmin says 88.

Using the HRM it’s normally around 70, not really sure how much I trust it though given the above.

jools182
    Free Member

About 64, no idea what that means

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t know but might measure it in a sec as I’m curious now. When I went to the doctors in August, he did say “are you some kind of athlete?” Which was odd as I certainly don’t resemble one.
    “Yes, I’m a Mtb racer” I said suavely without a hint of irony 😀
    “Ah, that explains it!” He said but never elaborated 😕

cheers_drive

Not sure what is is now age 38 but 5 years ago it was measured on a 24 hour each at 42. Definitely doesn’t equal fitness and as I have AF episodes it also doesn’t equal healthy heart.

aracer
    Free Member

Age 44, RHR ~48 (52 at the moment, but not totally restiung). It used to be ~42 when I was fitter, and occasionally under 40 – the lowest I ever measured was 38. So to some extent lower does mean fitter – I’m sure that normal unfit people aren’t even as low as 48 unless they’ve got something wrong with them – though it’s a pretty rubbish way of comparing fitness between different people.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

28 year old Resting heart Rate of 54. Blood pressure was 160/107 though! Check bp every morning before taking my ramipril.

paul4stones

Low enough to set the alarms off when I have a GA. I think that’s probably sub 50 but IANAA. (Anaesthetist) 🙂

There is an inverse relationship between BP and HR. Greater BP requires fewer beats to push the blood round.

dis40
    Free Member

Comparing resting heart rates of different people does not mean a lot as there is so much genetic variation.

It is true that for a given individual the fitter they are then the lower there resting heart rate. However you could take two people who do not exercise, one has resting rate of 75 and the other 55. If they both exercise then there resting rate will drop. The first may drop to 50 and the other 65 but the one with 65 still out performs the other.

Hence comparing resting heart rates between individuals becomes irrelevant. Can still be very useful on an individual bases, especially if you start using heart rate variability to guild tanning.

aracer
    Free Member

Didn’t even get any comments about mine when I recently had one, and it was certainly consistently <50 when I looked. I presume they’d got their baseline from when I went in and knew it was normal for me. Though I did get a comment that my BP was nice and low. I’m less than convinced there is the relationship you suggest even in a single individual – if I got unfit and my RHR a lot higher, would my BP drop below normal levels to compensate?

oldgit
    Free Member

Mines about 58, as in resting for a bit midday at work. I thought it was higher, well it was when I checked it randomly as in about 76 and over 90 at the hospital.
    I find these variations interesting. Treadmill testing took almost 20 minutes to get my HR to reach 100.
    Testing on the turbo was a revelation as they were looking for the speed of recovery from near max, mine was very good which is great as I’ve always had high resting rates which worried me.
    Conversely my wife who has been ill since her teens is slim and healthy looking and with a resting rate in the low 40’s, but as said she is ill enough not to be able to get insurance.
    You need facts and figures, dead people have very low RHR’s

crosshair
    Free Member

I whacked my HRM on, fell asleep on the sofa watching Family Guy whilst waiting for it to settle, woke up, switched the Garmin on, and it was 44.

Isn’t it supposed to be measured 10mins after you wake up in the morning to get a true reading?

oldgit
    Free Member

Dunno, running round like a looney at 5am and quaffing coffee?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Whats your resting heart rate?’ is closed to new replies.