Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What's your record 'max RPM' (on a static bike)?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Been playing with this at the gym, after a 30-45m min bike session I hit the afterburners and see just how fast I can get my legs spinning for a sustained burst (well, 20-30 seconds or so 😆 ). Current best is 187RPM, can't sustain it for long though, heartrate hits 200 pretty quickly! This is with the resistance set a little over halfway (so level 12 on the fancy electronic bikes they have).

I guess this could be a good test to see fitness improving over time? And a good measure of max heart rate? Plus if I keep a measure of how quickly I recover, this'd be useful as well?

One thing I've noticed, I am not a smooth peddler at these speeds, I just about shake the bike off it's mounts! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

207 RPM averaged over 22seconds from a standing start giving an ave speed of about 85kph

njee20
    Free Member

Big hill then Terry!?

I wouldn't necessarily say cadence is an indicator of fitness, and I'd be wary of associating an increase in cadence for an increase in fitness. It may teach you to pedal more smoothly though, which will help! I know I've done over 200 out on the road, but as you say you do end up bouncing around a fair bit!

trail_rat
    Free Member

rollapuluza nick

Woody
    Free Member

THIS is quite fast !

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Trail_rat – were you the guy wearing the sandals on the rollers?

sam_commencal
    Free Member

About 202rpm for 23 or so secs at a rollapolluza (at muddock, bristol) aching legs the next day after a few rounds!

njee20
    Free Member

That video's nuts! Looks like a fixie, which I guess is easier.

I'm pretty sure I'd end up on my face if I tried to get anywhere near 200rpm on rollers!

trail_rat
    Free Member

caspar was telling me that matt crampton et al have special small cranks to get them to spin up to 300rpm for cadence training.

he got 253 ave on the 500m on rollers too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

237 was my peak on a static bike, sustained about 210 for 20seconds then gave the pedals one last kick to spin the flywheeel up so only really sustained for a fraction of a second.

Resistance set quite low though.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

TINAS – sounds like a crappy static bike or thats flywheels rpm not pedal rpm.

aP
    Free Member

Going down Combe Bottom on a 66" fixed in 1995 was about the fastest I've ever pedalled. Obviously coming back up again after doing Pitch and Holmbury Hill it was fairly messy. I really didn't enjoy climbing over Hanger Hill back to Perrivale.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pedal RPM, 'twas shaking all over the place though 🙂

One of those virtual reality bikes where you can race around a track to keep yourself amused.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

almost exactly the same as trail_rat!

crampton did that time on the original faster rollapaluza rigs. Fastest on the new rigs is 20.48 by Fabian Kaiser. pretty quick….

MajorMantra
    Free Member

Not really pushed it on rollers, but I've done a (calculated) 196rpm on the road – over 40mph on a 70" fixed. That was in Holyrood Park in Edinburgh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

almost exactly the same as trail_rat! – funny that isnt it phil youd think we were at the same gathering of bikes in a non racing manner

Ti29er
    Free Member

220 minus my age is the most I've ever seen (ish)
    I saw 181 a couple of times, aged 43, whilst out on the bike.

Can you can reach a higher HR on a static bike than riding out on the road / trails?

trail_rat
    Free Member

RPM – revolutions per minute – is your heart doing revolutions 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that 220-age thing is rubbish, I once hit 234 when I was 16 :-p

Cant get it much above 200 now, hit 208 on the static bikes a few weeks back but wasnt really trying to go for a max HR just max (relatively sustainable) effort, i.e. i wasnt sprinting just incrementaly upping the power till i ran out of puff.

DickBarton

Not done it on a static bike but I used to regularly get 207bpm on my bike…normally trying to really go at it on a particular climb…I was fine unless I stopped then I'd get a rather rough feeling that would pass as my heart rate got below 180bpm…

Ti29er
    Free Member

that 220-age thing is rubbish, I once hit 234 when I was 16 :-p

Sweeping statement of the day!
    It's a simple formula that was arrived at by more educated and experienced men than you or I.

The fact that many people won't fit this formula is no surprise but for you to rubbish it is both naive and wrong.

Personally, I'm living proof that it is bang-on the money, the fact is that for you it doesn't actually tally with your own experiences, which in turn this means that your above statement should really have been more informed & better judged.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why are we talking about HR ? it bears little or no relevance to RPM (as in pedal revolutions) other than if RPM increases so does HR

DickBarton

Haha…I misread that…saw the max and the 3 letters but read them as BPM not RPM – i which case, I've no idea…I'm not daft enough to ride a 'bike' without it actually moving forwards…

Ti29er
    Free Member

Are you having a 2nd person count the RPM?

Surely, flat out, you have no energy or even time to be counting – unless the bike or machine you're riding does it for you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wasnt counting shit …. i couldnt even see when i got off that bike !

rollapauluza displays it all on a screen after !

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Thrutching – The name given to the act of applying pressure to the internal muscles which is required to push out a turd.

i.e.

"That curry had me thrutching like **** the next day."
    "I thrutched so hard I nearly popped my grapes."

😀

leggyblonde
    Free Member

No, the crap time still up on the scoreboards wasn't mine!
    You can see I'm shitting myself for the pain and whipping that ensued…

grantway
    Free Member

Zero as I did not go no where

psychle
    Free Member

I need to get me to one of these Rollapaluza events! Look like fun (in a masochistic kind of way 🙂 )

leggyblonde
    Free Member

pschyle, do it!

I've watched/shouted/drunk at many, the ones in pubs in particular have great atmospheres. I finally grew the balls to do one and wished I had just spectated 😳

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What's your record 'max RPM' (on a static bike)?’ is closed to new replies.