Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's your real-world bike size measurements?
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

After demoing a Large Aeris One45 at the weekend, with its very progressive geometry (I think only the Pole Evolink and Mojo Geometron have longer reaches/ETT in comparable sizes!), it got me thinking about real-world measurements of bikes vs. rider heights; specifically the centre-of-saddle-rail-clamp to centre-of-bars straight line measurement.

Standing reach is relatively easily calculated from the manufacturer’s figure plus the stem length, but the seated figure is affected by effective vs. actual seat angle, saddle height, seatpost offset, etc.

So, here’s mine:
    Bike: 2011 Specialized Pitch Pro, Medium
    Rider height: 6′
    Crank centre to top of saddle: 29″
    Saddle rail clamp centre to centre of bars: 26.5″

Despite the length of the Aeris, thanks to the 35mm stem, inline post and steep seat angle, the last figure was only half inch longer than the above figure, thanks to the setback on the Command Post and the 60mm stem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a pitch with pretty much an identical build to yours (I’m also 6ft and it was a medium).

The problem was that even though I could move the bars/saddle far enough apart to fit, it climbed like a pig because it was harder to unweight the front wheel (because you’re already ‘back’ on the saddle when you hit something).

Demo’d a few larger bikes and found that the steeper SA meant when you did stand up lifting the front over stuff was much easier.

Swings and roundabouts though, as the Pitch descended better on proppery steep stuff, as a long reach only works on gentler gradients, beyond a point the long TT is pulling your weight forward off the pedals

It’s a compromise, if I was buying again I’d look at the bird (i.e. a lager bike) because climbing on the pitch was at best tolerable up a fireroad rather than a useful off-road.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

The mix of metric and imperial measurements broke my head.

thepodge
    Free Member

This is all subject to personal preference though isnt it?

Me and a mate put our bottom brackets together and his bars were level with my headtube meaning despite being something like 4 inch taller than me, his seat to bars is roughly 2 inch shorter.

To me his bike is like a child’s toy, to him mine is a barge.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

So, here’s mine:
    Bike: 2016 Cotic BFe 26″, Medium
    Rider height: 6’1″
    Crank centre to top of saddle: 30.5″
    Saddle rail clamp centre to centre of bars: 27.5″

mark90
    Free Member

Bikes: 17″ Orange 02, 15″ Dialled PA, Small Giant Anthem 27.5, Medium Bird Aeris
    Rider height: 5’7″
    Crank centre to top of saddle: 27″
    Saddle rail clamp centre to centre of bars: 25.5″

All of my bikes have the same seat to bar reach. Until I just measured them out of interest I wouldn’t have realised quite how close they all are, though there are some differences in bar width. Each bike was set up to be comfortable and handle well, not to specifically be the same as the others. Stem length varies from 90mm to 40mm and seatposts a mix of inline and setback.

survivor

Just cos I’m working on my bike now.

XL Orange Segment
    I’m 6ft2
    BB to top of saddle 31″
    Seat clamp to bars 27.75″

From other measurements above confirms my thought that oranges XL should have a longer toptube.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

My bfe is a large not medium. Gah

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's your real-world bike size measurements?’ is closed to new replies.