Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Whats your outlook on life…why are we here ?
  • kimbers

this is why im here

DezB
    Free Member

I hope that there is a big cruch, followed by another big bang in an endless cycle

You missed out a ‘t’
    (yeah, I know, it should be a ‘o’ )

Peyote
    Free Member

Only for the people watching the coffin b u r n

You reckon, what about turning into a gas and being spread throughout the atmosphere of our pathetic little rocky planet? What about the carbon atoms being recyled into plants, diamonds or whatever other materials circumstances happen to dictate?

Stuff like this happens all the time, it’s little miracles that nature thows at us and all we do is gloss over it and stick to our pathetic fleshy bodies until the mortal coil is shuffled off and our true potential can arise! Maybe?

Personally, I hope that there is a big cruch, followed by another big bang in an endless cycle….as that will fit into my worldview rather nicely.

Yeah me too. Although, the universe itself seems to be a bit of boundary to something else. String theory, ‘brane theory and all that point to more interesting things still…

jambourgie
    Free Member

“What occurs in the world is that everyone who is born, is born, in some manner of speaking, a poet, the creator of something that did not exist in the world before, till they were born. It is entirely individual.
    Man is not born to work, Man is born to create, to be that poet at random. And give to the world his own particular message, to realize the work that can be done and because he is unique, his work will be the only one of the kind in the world.” – Agostinho da Silva

DezB
    Free Member

Peyote, that’s your outlook on death.

The thread is:

your outlook on life..

Peyote
    Free Member

Ah. You’re right Dez. Apologies.

Life – It’s just killing time then.

organdonor
    Free Member

I’m the only one here; the rest of you are just constructs of my imagination

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

As Mr Whoppit says, we exist for the replication of genetic material as does all other life.

What drives the needs for replication?

🙄

IHN

Like I said

It’s genetic

thepurist

What happens to anything that doesn’t seek to replicate itself?

slowoldman

Replication is what genetic material DOES. That IS life. Our bodies are simply one vessel for that process to occur in.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Life – It’s just killing time then.

The more you explain it the less enticing your outlook is becoming.

tazzymtb

The endless pain of existence in the knowledge that nothing we as individuals, as nations or as species has any impacts whatsoever on a cold and uncaring universe …time to die

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member
    twinw4ll
    Free Member

My outlook is to be content while being considerate to others around me.
    I wouldn’t profess to know why we’re here, only a fool would do that, but if i had to guess, it would be to drink and be merry. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m here to live in short.

The longer answer to learn, enlighten and to aspire to something more.

Procreation? Leave that to the farm 🙂

Iain M Banks raises the idea of Sublimation which is interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sublimed) as a process where a species/culture moves on to a higher plane when it feels it has completed/achieved everything it can.

slowoldman

IHN – Member
    Those conditions were there by chance (if we’re assuming the absence of a ‘design’), so yeah, we are.

I don’t agree. The conditions in the universe at any point in time are due to the conditions existing immediately prior to that. Which is why it’s plausible to construct a history of the universe all the way back to the big bang. Maybe that was a chance occurrence, but I doubt it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Deterministic universe?

Isn’t that only if there are underlying rules governing quantum effects?

rene59
    Free Member

I’m just here for the show, enjoying it while it lasts.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We’re here for a good time, not a long time. So help both yourself, and equally everyone else, to make the most of the experience. And if you can’t manage that, then at least try to do no/the-least harm.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is any of this helping, unfitgeezer?

How do you view the idea that there’s actually no meaning, to existence?

(Any commentary vileness notwithstanding).

jools182
    Free Member

I shouldn’t be reading this thread

I’m in turmoil for the past few months asking this very same question

ninfan
    Free Member

Like I said

It’s genetic

Nope, because Prions are capable of replication and evolution without carrying any genetic material!

Jamie
    Free Member

I imagine he couldn’t give a monkeys, and is busy preparing his next hot button topic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I understand that matter and energy cannot be destroyed or created therefore we must go somewhere right?

Not sure you’ve understood that correctly. ‘We’ are a specific assembly of atoms. If you put all your carbon in one box, all your oxygen in a gas cylinder and your hydrogen in another, you would no longer be you.

The conditions in the universe at any point in time are due to the conditions existing immediately prior to that. Which is why it’s plausible to construct a history of the universe all the way back to the big bang

Nope. Chaos, and more fundamentally, quantum mechanics.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Faith, Hope and Charity.

Charity lived at #34 and was my favourite 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CvFWCULuI[/video]

Simples.

iffoverload
    Free Member

i ride.

therefore i am.

northernerindevon

Each and every one of us is damn lucky to be here. Putting some numbers behind it helps:

For me – live well, live peacefully, ride lots, do as you would be done by and remember, generally, what goes around comes around. Nach.

Peyote
    Free Member

Not sure you’ve understood that correctly. ‘We’ are a specific assembly of atoms. If you put all your carbon in one box, all your oxygen in a gas cylinder and your hydrogen in another, you would no longer be you.

Physically, yes. But are we assuming that our consciousness is purely limited to our bodies? If so, is that a safe assumption to make?

Actually, that makes a bit more of an interesting question. Rather than “Why are we here?” How about, “Why do we have the ability to ask the question “Why are we here?””. I mean there seems to be a lot of life around that is quite good at living without being burdened with sentience/self awareness*, so what’s the point of it?

* I also fully appreciate this is a very superior and possibly incorrect attitude, but then humankind tends to be that way. Hopefully, Dear Reader, you get the gist of the post and won’t get hung up on my own hang ups.

molgrips
    Free Member

But are we assuming that our consciousness is purely limited to our bodies?

I am, yes – why wouldn’t it be?

Why do we have the ability to ask the question “Why are we here?

Easy – we’ve evolved the ability to think critically, and be aware of ourselves. That produces all this existential bollocks 🙂 The difference between humans and other animals is that we evolved both large brains and hands to manipulate tools with – because we lived in a marginal environment where better tool use and intelligent thinking gave a survival advantage.

slowoldman

Peyote – Member
    Physically, yes. But are we assuming that our consciousness is purely limited to our bodies? If so, is that a safe assumption to make?

Yes and yes.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

I imagine he couldn’t give a monkeys, and is busy preparing his next hot button topic.

Bit rude matey seen as you have no idea of the anxiety I suffer with…

Go and deface someones picture with your fancy photoshop skills 😉

Peyote
    Free Member

I am, yes – why wouldn’t it be?

Really? seems to be quite a big assumption to make. But I suppose without evidence to the contrary… …nah, the mystery of it all is what makes it interesting!

Couldn’t critical thought and/or self awareness arise without the existential bollocks? It would give a lot more time for doing stuff if we weren’t burdened with the whole meaning of life questions.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ah – so, what are you anxious about, geezer?

tazzymtb

If we were fighting for survival and looking out for predators in a basic hunter gatherer family troupe like our ancestors we wouldn’t have time for any pontificating bollox about life and the universe. .just can we eat this..and will that eat us…life was much simpler when dodging dinosaurs

tazzymtb

If creationists are to be believed. That is..I quite like their mentlist ideology so god riding a t rex seems like a good reason for existing to me

MrWoppit
    Free Member

geezer? Has he gone?

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit rude matey seen as you have no idea of the anxiety I suffer with…

In which case, I apologise.

molgrips
    Free Member

Really? seems to be quite a big assumption to make.

I don’t think so. We’ve found loads of evidence for emotions and feelings as chemical activity in our brain, including feelings of belongong to something big. They can easily be reproduced with drugs.

Seems a fairly straightforward one to me.

Imagine if you programmed a computer to be sentient. Would it have a soul? Well that’s debatable.

But let’s consider something simpler and more feasible. Imagine you program a computer to model a living organism. You give it a number which is, say hunger. Your program gives it food and this number goes down, and then goes up gradually over time. You can ask it if it’s hungry with a user interface, and if the hunger number is above a thresohld it says ‘yes’. So is it really hungry, or is it just reporing a number? Is there a difference?

Imagine you program it now to have a series of emotions. You would have it store numbers for happiness, sadness, love, hate, anger, fear, security, say. Your user interface then lets you ask it how it’s feeling. Let’s also write some code and create a hardware device that senses when another computer is near and increases the love number, and a rule that increases the happiness number. If the other computer goes away again the love number goes down, the happiness number goes down and the sadness number goes through the roof. You can then ask it how its feeling and it says ‘sad and lovelorn’.

Is that really any different to how we work? Does the computer then have a soul or a heart?

If we were fighting for survival and looking out for predators in a basic hunter gatherer family troupe like our ancestors we wouldn’t have time for any pontificating bollox about life and the universe.

Evidence suggests that they did just that. As long as we’ve been sad to see our loved ones die, we’ve been trying to explain it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Whats your outlook on life…why are we here ?’ is closed to new replies.