Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • What's your most tenuous claim to fame?
  • geoffj

I once sat opposite Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on a train.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn't there already a current thread like this ?

oh, I see 🙂 These are nearly all highly tenuous: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-your-best-claim-to-fame

thegreatape
    Free Member

Jimmy Saville was in front of me at the till in my village shop a few months ago. He hadn't done his tracksuit top up and was being weird, so I went and loitered in the fruit and veg section until he'd gone off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    I once sat opposite Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on a train.

You failed. You failed miserably. All we wanted was HFW on STW and you failed. Now, go and sit in the corner and think about how you've let us all down.

clubber
    Free Member

I once clashed oars with Steve Redgrave (that's not a euphemism!)

nonk
    Free Member

i once sold uga twigamala (know idea if thats how you spell it) a pair of jeans.

geoffj

You failed. You failed miserably. All we wanted was HFW on STW and you failed. Now, go and sit in the corner and think about how you've let us all down.

What upsets me most about that is the fact that I failed to ask him if I should crack the bones when making stock from a chicken carcass! 👿

well that and feeling like a stalker after surreptitiously taking his photograph. 😆

nonk
    Free Member

oops.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I've met Jenson Button

clubber
    Free Member

I once discussed LOOK pedals with the guy who played the butler in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Turns out he's a keen cyclist.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

This isn't my claim to fame but..
    A few weeks ago, I visited Alcatraz. At the end of the tour, there's a shop, where you can buy t-shirts and books and stuff. The author of one of the books was there – Darwin Coon, a former inmate. We had a bit of a chat, and i asked if he met anyone famous when he was inside. He said he'd met Robert Stroud, the Birdman of Alcatraz, but not in Alcatraz, in another jail, Fort leavenworth IIRC. then he asked if I'd ever seen Escape from Alcatraz. I said yes, the one where Clint Eastwood tunnelled out using spoons, based on a true story..
    "Well, son, I worked in the kitchens and I got them the spoons"

Drac

So the answer was "No"

skidartist
    Free Member

I saw Tom Baker walking out of a Butchers. Waiting to see Pat Butcher walk into a Bakers

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ Drac 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

I went to school with the neice of a GB athelete who won a silver medal in either the commenwealth games or olympics or summit.

Or I was in Hollyoaks as an Extra 😆

Bunnyhop

Lol @ geoffj – I remember that thread you started on the train with HFW, t'was funny.

docrobster
    Free Member

Lent some bacon to Jarvis Cocker whilst crabbing at walberswick this july- his kept falling off the crab line.

iDave
    Free Member

i nearly delivered an exercise bike to Cheryl Crows house for Lance to use, but it was canceled last minute – same for Flavio Briatore

Moses

I was scowled at by Germaine Greer, when walking through a London tube tunnel someplace.

sc-xc

– I work with a guy whose uncle is in Judas Priest
    – I got Jenny Powell's autograph years ago at Alton Towers
    – I am being tattood on the 17th Nov by Joolz Denby

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I sold Count Dracula aka the Snooker player Ray Reardon a Suit as I used to work in a shop in Bond St, I also sold Claire Grogans boyfriend a jumper, she helped choose it…I think he had a Happy Birthday 😆

awh
    Free Member

When I was on Top Gear someone called Jeremy Clarkson kept getting his head in shot so you couldn't see me!

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Jannis Battersby of Coronation St(who was rather the worse for wear in the pub one sat afternoon) borrowed my mobile to ring her husband at home (over the road)!

She then proceeded to have an argument over the phone. Then gave me a fiver to cover the cost of the call!

Classy 😆

belgianbob

I went to school with James 'Mo Wax' Lavelle (but he was just a naughty boy back then) and also Ian McEwan's stepdaughter.

Oh, and Dennis Waterman chatted my mum up. She was delighted.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I met the Queen last year when she knighted me at Buckingham Palace.

belgianbob

Oh yeah, and my cousin was on Cheggers Plays Pop!

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Only joking.
    Blimey Cheggers Plays Pop.That was quite a few years ago.Showing your age there mate. 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

I used to live with someone who used to work with David Baker's wife.

That's pretty tenuous.

belgianbob

@gsi man: Those were the days… Cheggers, Crackerjack, Blue Peter… Double maths homework. Maybe it wasn't all great, eh?

robgarrioch

JK has a house 3 miles away from my folks, keep seeing him in the pub, he's taller than you think.
    Jack Bruce used to holiday near my home, saw him in the pub once.
    Shared a plane to Corsica with some woman out of Corrie Farm.

belgianbob

I sold Magnus Magnusson a half bottle of whisky and half of vodka about an hour before he started filming Mastermind at the Oxford Union.
    Mrs Belgium sold Alan Shearer some DVDs when he was playing for Southampton, and Steve Claridge's wife used to cut Mrs B's mum's hair…

AlasdairMc

I used to live next door to Sean Connery's brother.

mooman
    Free Member

We were on hols a few years back and Tom OConner sat with a group of us.
    By the end of the night we were so drunk that we would interrupt his cheesy gags by saying " I’ll name that tune in .." it was very funny at the time .. guess you had to be there 😕

smudge
    Free Member

I used to sit next the Helen baxendale most days on the train going to school, she was in the year below me … If only i'd kept those kiddie love letters 😥

Marin
    Free Member

Once interviewed Joolz for a fanzine in Huddersfield! Long long time ago.

Pigface
    Free Member

On Cheyney Walk I saw Mick Jagger in the back of a Daimler limo, I gave him the thumbs he just flicked the v's.

glynP
    Free Member

I was rescued by Flipper the dolphin when I was 7 whilst in a dingy in pool in Stirling safari park, My mum recently told me it was not the same Flipper that was on the telly years ago, I was gutted!

Imposter!!!

belgianbob

I used to live next door to the saxophonist from The Thompson Twins (when they were a 7-piece, and weren't famous.)
    When I was photographing my first ever assignment back in 1989 I got into a slanging match with David Gedge from the wedding present.

That really is very poor, isn't it?

belgianbob

@GlynP: we have a winner, thread closed!

vinnyeh

Once nabbed Renee Zellweger's poolside sun lounger as she got up and left.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘What's your most tenuous claim to fame?’ is closed to new replies.