Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What's your "mega mileage" car (150k+ milers only)?
  • nant
    Free Member

04 plate mondeo 2.0tdi. On 181k at moment, just sailed through its Mot.

Had a Ford Sierra Estate g reg which got to 240k before I wrote it off into the central reservation. It was a ugly tank of a car but bullet proof till I destroyed it

nosedive
    Free Member

207,000 benz powered miles on my vito. Still pulls like a train

technicallyinept
    Free Member

160k on my 1999 Almera. Engine going strong but rust has suddenly got the better of it. Going to the scrappers on Saturday.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Took a petrol rover 214 up near 250,golf diesel n reg went over 250, audi a4 of the same email close to 300,transit went on 280 I think. Not hard to do.

HarryTuttle

Ford focus estate 2002 model, 240,000 miles and still going…..

The flywheel went at ~200k but otherwise no major issues. I’m looking to replace now though as the cabin fan is iffy and there’ll be a load of little costs come MOT time like tires etc.

thenorthwind

Unsurprised to see a few Volvos here. My 240 did about 160k but that’s nothing.

I think Irv Gordon’s 1800 is the highest mileage in the world:

Volvo High Milers Club

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of 175k plus Volvo S60’s and V70’s.

The V70 only died because a barn fell on it. The S60 I sold at about 178k last year to buy the S60R and in fact I had a text if the new owner about a month saying it was still going great.

Awesome cars and will go forever if looked after.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Gone now but our Xantia estate did 243k, engine was still strong but a combination of iffy alternator, no heater fan, frayed seat belts made drive it to the scrappy – regret that now. A Devon local (with a house in France) ran his Xantia estate for over 900k! Currently running a Golf tdi with 150 plus and a Vito with 200 plus.

Bregante

Not mine but my dad’s old 1981 Volvo 245 was still living opposite Harry the Spiders house last time I passed. It had almost 200,000 miles on the clock when my dad sold it in 1989.

Edit: just checked the DVLA mot website and it looks like it’s gone to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Kato

2003 BMW 320d Touring

175k and still on the original clutch and flywheel

jakd95
    Free Member

173k Citroen Xsara Estate with the 2.0 Hdi, still pulls strongly, although it’s a bit wallowy and some of the electrics are dodgy. 700 mile drive back from France tomorrow that I’m sure it’ll do just fine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

There’s a Mercedes – a really, really old one in Tenerife owned by the uncle of one of my best friends.
    Mercedes actually used it as an advert for how well built they are.
    In 1994 it had over 1,000,000kms on it!!! 😯

davidjey
    Free Member

Ran our Mazda 3 from 85k to 178k before trading it in. My wife wanted something smaller and was sick of me wrecking the interior with muddy bikes, so I started looking for a cheap estate. Bought a 2.5L petrol Subaru Legacy with, yup 178k on it. So for a time cumulative mileage of the two cars in the household was 350k+.

Sadly the Legacy was a bit of a money pit so now driving an 04 Focus tdci which at 151k only just qualifies for this thread.

surfer
    Free Member

I don’t understand the French car bashing on the car threads, they’re great.

I sold a 307SW with 140k on the clock. Guy came to test drive and couldnt give me the money quick enough. He was staggered that absolutely everything worked. I relied on it for work and hit every service slightly early. Never missed a beat.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t do mega mileage anymore (thankfully) but I can lay claim to putting 175k on a 2007 BMW 530d sport touring and then a couple of years later stuck 259k on another.

Mega vehicles.

Just serviced at the dealer, only issue with the last one was when I loaded soaking wet windsurfing gear in it and the water seeped into seats/boot and drenched the carpets.

pt0608
    Free Member

My BMW 320d is just shy of 235k. Still purring on the autobahn. I have ambitions to get it past 300k, but fear the next MOT 😯

willard

My van’s on about 175k right now and both my Mk. 2 Golf GTi and Vx Frontera did north of 250k before they got passed on.

The golf was a keeper. I feel sad for taking on a Rover 620 to replace it.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

1998 Volvo V70 here 2.5 TDi just about to hit the 230,000 mark

Recently MOT’d cost £300, and that included service and brake pads

owned for over 10 years, and it has been referred to as Hotel Volvo, for the times that it has been slept in at events, and also Battle Bus because it just keeps going.

Great car still cruises happily at 70ish and gives me over 40mpg

Swallows bikes and also i can fit my mini mal in withput having to strap it to the roof

stumpy01

2003 Ibiza that I got rid of in Feb, purely because we needed a bigger car to get the baby seat in.

It was on 274k miles, still on original clutch, exhaust, turbo, injectors, fuel pump etc. I owned it from Sept 2006 when it had 24k miles on it.
    It took me on commutes of 100, 60, 120 and 80 miles/day over the years….
    Bloke I sold it to has put chav wheels on it and remapped it to 175bhp from 130. The clutch is now slipping (no shit, Shhrlock) but he works at a clutch place so is gonna repair himself.
    He sent me a text last month to tell me it sailed through the MOT…

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

2004 A4 1.9TDI. 191k now, owned since 100k-ish. Only ever had a starter motor in addition to service consumables and cambelts. Turns out the starter wasn’t even at fault.
    Front wings are looking a bit ratty so I’ll treat it to some new ones shortly and had to replace a door that my good lady reversed into. Which was my fault. Obviously.
    Can’t see me getting rid of it until it falls on its sword now. Still looks quite pretty too

br
    Free Member

Had a Peugeot 405 that I bought with 250k on the clock.

Was that my old Mi16? Sold it with 185k on.

I’ve never bought old stuff, but did put 160k onto a brand new Xantia in the late-90’s, managed it in 4 years (young kids so travelled rather than stayed away). Car didn’t miss a beat but it wasn’t in a good state when it was collected by the lease company, soft paint 😉

euain

Civic Type-R bought new in 2002 and 157k on the clock now.

It’s getting a bit rattly now but not missed a beat in all that time.

scaled
    Free Member

180k on my ’99 avensis estate, not a lot compared to that lot up there.

Got it on 70k free from my step dad 7 years ago. It’s had a new exhaust, cam belt, new boot lifters and tyres/oil in that time.

winston
    Free Member

Bought a Ford Falcon in Oz with 274,000km but odometer wasn’t working so could have had anything on it! Drove round the continent and down through the middle (around 30,000km) then sold it for more than we bought it for still showing 274k on the clock…probably still going

My old Saab 900 got sold with 240k miles to an enthusiast who reckoned it was good for another 100k on the same engine

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

P reg Honda Accord 2.2 VTEC petrol in a lovely green. Cost me £700 with 150,000 miles and all I did was change the brake pads and the oil and filter (every 4000 mies).

Went to 234,000 miles and the engine was still sweet and pulled big time. However, the back end was rusting and would have cost me more than the few pounds the car was worth. I loved that car though – I’ve had faster and visually more satisfying cars but that was BY FAR the best!

BadlyWiredDog

Mk2 Golf GTi 8v on 199,600 or something like that. Change the oil every 5,000 miles, never thrash it from cold, replace parts as they wear out or break, usually with something slightly better.

I hate it that we’re facing a sustainability crisis, yet people seem fixated on newer, lower mileage cars. The absolute nadir of that particular lunacy was the scrappage scheme back in 2009 which wrote off thousands of perfectly good cars to keep big business happy.

Ditto the dedication of insurance companies to writing off perfectly sound vehicles as ‘not economically repairable’ on the grounds relatively minor damage rather than repairing things using common sense and pattern and reconditioned parts.

Our T5 has just been written off because of potential damage to the gearbox from a glancing frontal collision, which may or may not have caused internal problems with the box. In the real world that wouldn’t be a huge issue as you can source a recon box for a T5 for £1k or so, but in insurance world, it means there might be the need for a brand new VW replacement box at somewhere north of £6k or whatever.

And Catch 22 is that there’s no way of telling until repairs have been started. Which they won’t do because it ‘might’ need a new gearbox, which would make it ‘beyond economic repair’ because they’d insist on using a brand new gearbox even though a quality reconditioned box would be fine.

The whole thing’s a racket. As a society we should be buying less stuff and using the products we own for longer rather than getting sucked in to an endless cycle of consumerism.

ocrider

Another Xtrail owner here. It’s currently at 330000 kms (205k miles) and I’m going to stick another thousand on the counter on Thursday. I use and abuse it for everything and will do until the day it carks it, but i don’t think I’ll get it near a friend’s Espace (retired at 650000 kms)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought my Volvo V70 D5 with 157,000 on the clock, in a year it’s up to 170,000 and has just passed its MOT. The Volvo mechanic who fixes the things that I can’t reckons it’s good for 300,000.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mk2 GTI 8v had 245,000 when I sold it.

Citroen BX16 went over 300,000 that was an amazing car.

Peugeot 405 Estate had 280,000 when it had an electrical fire behind the dash
    🙁 that was the end of that, amazing engine never missed a beat.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Wow, this thread just shows that no one make or model will be better than another at longevity. What do we think is key to longevity? Regular oil changes, servicing, allowing the engine to warm up properly, steady driving with a thrash or two every now and then?

cx_monkey

1990 BMW E30 318iS with 198k. Works lovely – after it’s been used for a few days…. Hates to be sat, wants to be driven. Got to do the timing chains again at some point soon, but other than being on rust patrol most of the time with it, there’s nothing other than consumables to ever worry about. It’s a second car, so really doesn’t get driven as much as it probably would prefer…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Colleague just handed his company car back with 420000 km on the clock. It’s only 3 years old. 😯

V70 diesel.

hora
    Free Member

Xtrail with the Renault diesel?

ianfitz
    Free Member

We have a T4 camper with 225,000 on it. Just had a new gearbox and drives like new again!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

On-time or early oil changes are the key I think.

Colleague just handed his company car back with 420000 km on the clock. It’s only 3 years old

If he has an accident while driving for work I should think his employer will be on a very sticky wicket.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Nope, That’s almost all commuting and enjoying himself. Apparently he racked up near enough 20000 km this summer touring Europe and doing “stuff”.

All he’s done for three years is tyres and servicing. (and a load of fuel.)

ocrider

hora – Member
    Xtrail with the Renault diesel?

Nope, it’s a T30 so it’s got the old school noisy, smelly Nissan engine.

flap_jack
    Free Member

1994 Mercedes E300TD. 230000 miles. Costs a fortune to keep going but just like it…

Dickyboy

God this thread is depressing, I have a Vauxhall Insignificant which is horrible but it’s only done 90,000 miles so no where near renewal time, mind you it puffs & wheezes so much we’ve christened it Ivor & hopefully it will die sooner than later

cardo

My Audi A4 Tdi 97 plate has 257,000 miles on its clock. Sadly I’m getting a van so have to let her go if anyone’s interested ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What's your "mega mileage" car (150k+ milers only)?’ is closed to new replies.