Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • What's your intrusive unwanted thoughts?
  • jekkyl

Do you ever get intrusive thoughts?
    Defined in wikipedia as an unwelcome involuntary thought, image, or unpleasant idea that may become an obsession, is upsetting or distressing, and can feel difficult to manage or eliminate.

Mine: sometimes when on a normal road I get a sort of compulsive thought about pulling in front of an HGV coming the other way. resulting in a BIG smash and possible death. 😕

Yours?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Taking a shatterproof ruler and carving my way out through the accounts department and into forensic history.

nickhit3
    Free Member

i regularly crave Pot Noodles

seriously though to the OP, you’re not alone. Had similar thoughts. I recall the comedian Richard Herring making a remark in one of his podcasts about falling down the stairs holing his new baby- not out of fear, but by making a conscious decision.

experienced similar morbid thoughts.

Stoner
    Free Member

screaming like a banshee during “a minute’s silence”

chakaping
    Free Member

“You’re going too fast, you’ll probably crash, better pull the brake levers, that drop looks a bit sketchy, etc.”

robgclarkson
    Free Member

punching people full on in the face… a genuine 100%er too… i’m talking friends/family/colleagues etc… and i just keep thinking, what’s stopping me?

i mean, i never would, but genuinely… what is stopping me?

even my 90 year old grandma….

i disgust myself at times

i also wonder what i’d do if my cat went from being a placid lap bound cuddle blanket to being a full on feral/wild animal, he could seriously eff s**t up

and how many 4 year old , hell bent on my destruction, would it take before i would become over powered?

i have problems 😐

cloudnine
    Free Member

Throwing awkward customers off the roof or out of the windows, or maybe just scalding them with hot tea..

plyphon
    Free Member

“I should probably get back to work and stop browsing forums.”

perchypanther
    Free Member

a full on ferrell

SaxonRider

Hanging myself. Even when I am happy, I may spy a rafter or some post or something, and think, ‘yep, that’ll do.’

Houns

Kicking away walking sticks/crutches

Stoner
    Free Member

no-one admitting to any sexythoughts then?

Ah, “unwanted”. As you were.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Kicking away walking sticks/crutches

PMSL

(had that one too)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Wonder what that would taste like fricasseed?

GrahamS

I do wonder if each of these thoughts is the spawning point for a parallel reality where they were acted on.

Hanging myself.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WfDafHijY[/video]

tomhoward

Ive just typed it out, then thought better of it before posting.

theotherjonv

jumping off a tall building / bridge. It’s not a depression thing (although I do have that going on at times) – it’s always been there. Just it suddenly comes into my head, what would stop me just throwing a leg over that wall and jumping off, almost like a ‘to see what it would feel like’ kind of thing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What’s your intrusive unwanted thoughts?

Eating chicken.

woody2000

It used to be jumping off something high (like hotel balconies), this nagging thought about what it would be like to do it. But since kids came along, I get more thoughts about horrible stuff happening to them 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got dozens if not hundreds. Typically I get a flash-back of something I did that was embarrassing and caused me anxiety at the time. It could be 5 years ago or 30, they come out of nowhere and cause me to shudder and sometimes say odd words. It’s weird.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s Binners wearing?

tomhoward

What’s Binners wearing?

Naught but a cheese and onion pasty and a smile.

There, that should change the thought

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#strangest

DrJ

I need a pee 🙁

theteaboy
    Free Member

“If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That I am Nosferatu

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

sometimes when on a normal road I get a sort of compulsive thought about pulling in front of an HGV coming the other way. resulting in a BIG smash and possible death

its a woody allen gag in annie hall, based around his first visit to see annie’s parents and then her brother taking him to one side and confessing the same. the joke being that the brother then drives them back to the airport or wherever they were going (havnt seen the film in years).

mildbore

I’ve had the one about swerving into the path of a lorry ever since I seriously considered it in a depressive episode about 20 years ago. Every so often the idea pops into my head, I think it’s just my mind scaring me with how easy it would be.
    The other one that occurs to me is when I was in freefall down a railway bank (tried to ride it and got kicked otb at the top by a hidden stump). For some reason this was the moment I remembered that I hadn’t bought any mayonnaise when I was doing the shopping that morning

cubist
    Free Member

I have an inner voice that, every now and then, tells me to kill myself. I have no intention of doing so. I always assumed I was a bit mad (too much acid in my late teens/early twenties can’t have helped).

Some of the above comments are reassuring in that other people get the morbid thoughts as well. It’s not something I’ve ever mentioned incase people worry I might actually do it.

Northwind

Stamping on people’s feet if they’re wearing 5 Fingers shoes or similar. It’s not if, it’s when.

The other one is so bad I can barely even type it but, trypophobia. It’s like a divide by zero error for my brain, as soon as I get the idea or the image in there it absolutely destroys me- I’m really carefully skirting around thinking about it just now and now I’m going to put some effort into thinking about other things so it can’t sneak in. Think it’s exactly the sort of thing Jekyll is talking of.

If anyone posts a picture of this, they’re a proper **** by the way, it wouldn’t be even a little bit funny. And if you google it and it freaks you out, don’t say you weren’t warned! For most people it’s fine, for us chosen few it’s brain disease.

tomo51
    Free Member

Take it you dont like crumpets then @northwind lol.

hairyscary

Every time I see a hacksaw blade I imagine it sawing through my collarbone.
    I have absolutely no idea why!

jekkyl

I get the punching one too 😕 it’s so awful.
    My mother in law, she’s a lovely sweet woman and as I was talking to her the other day I had a compulsion to just punch her in the cheek. And for a moment I pictured the consequences, her crying, my wife shouting at me, my father in law rolling up his sleeves. Me ultimately having to leave the marital home and my kids behind, like in a movie flash scene. & 3 2 1 you’re back in the room.

The other weird one is on a car ferry, travelling back from France, wouldn’t it be awful if these car keys in my pocket just dropped off the boat into the water. LOL. How would we all get home, the ferry people would be so annoyed at the car unable to move. I can picture them dropping into the surf and the ferry just keeps on going.

DrJ

This is a brilliant story on the subject 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imp_of_the_Perverse_(short_story)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Launching myself off of anything high above the ground. Walked across a high suspension footbridge the other day and the narrowness of the platform combined with the openness really exaggerated the feeling of wanting to jump. So much so that I stopped and really thought through the motions of it for a couple of minutes before carrying on with my walk.

slowoldman

Work when I’m not there.

emsz
    Free Member

OMG, I thought it was just me… 😯

I’ve got a really long kitchen knife, I can be having a lovely normal conversation with someone. drinking wine, chopping an onion while all the time thinking about driving it between their shoulder blades or into thier tummy…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can see the window to one of my old classrooms in that Rubberbandits video Gee. 😀

And plenty of familiar scenes from my childhood.

footflaps

I’ve got dozens if not hundreds. Typically I get a flash-back of something I did that was embarrassing and caused me anxiety at the time. It could be 5 years ago or 30, they come out of nowhere and cause me to shudder and sometimes say odd words. It’s weird.

Not just me then – I get exactly the same, the ‘odd words’ bit causes endless problems with the wife as I can’t explain what I’ve just said as “I” didn’t consciously say it.

the00
    Free Member

M5 over the Avonmouth bridge. There’s no way that those barriers would stop a car at 70mph, 80, 90…
    The question is would I do it tide in, landing in water, or tide out, landing in 10m deep mud. How much air time would I get? Seatbelt on or off. Jump out and swim for it, or wait for the splat. Window open or doors locked.

Makes me smile even now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘What's your intrusive unwanted thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.