Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What's your favourite wussy, non-technical trail?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

Having had a major knee failure on a big tour at Easter, that caused me to be off the bike until summer, and then having my pride and joy (Marin) stolen while on holiday, I am finally getting a new bike (On One Inbred 29er) and wanted your favourite non-techy, non-deadly trails; You know, the ones you used to ride in the 80s before suspension. Something for a few days of Christmas riding while the Mrs is off visiting the grandkids in America.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Also, as an ex Marin rider am I allowed to keep the beard, or must it be shaved off so as not to offend the Inbred?

Wozza
    Free Member

Penmachno. It’s a trail centre but it’s been there a while. Swoopy lovelyness.

uplink
    Free Member

Glentress blue

Mister-P
    Free Member

Redway between work and train station.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Lymington to Mudeford coast path.
    Great on a clear still day, grim with a cold headwind.

IA

Another vote for GT blue.

But also quite a fan of just tooling about the north yorkshire moors, which can be fairly non tech depending on route.

loddrik
    Free Member

North Face at grizedale, nothing technical but great to ride fast. One of my favourite trails regardless of difficulty.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GT blue is good but lots of highland estate roads and old railways that are great

GW
    Free Member

the wooded singletrack 200m from my door 😀
    but if I had to choose one folk might’ve heard of prob GT red or Caddonbank.

Northwind

Mushroom Pie at Glentress, for me. Swoop.

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Another one for GT Blue!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

glentress blue, fun for riders whatever their ability

Kunstler

The pinewoods from Wells-next-the-Sea through Holkham.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Brechfa Blue & Green. Both not technical but great fun.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Any “way”. Of the ones I know Ridgeway South Downs Way, North Downs Way e.t.c

ton

k/tree
    dalby red
    newcastleton

all good fun

julianwilson
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you?

-Penhydd trail at Afan before they felled. No idea if its been reopened yet or if its changed though.

-The ‘motorway’ across the top of the quantocks would be a really lovely scenic but non-technical blast on a clear day but you will be tempted by all the legendary combes that branch off it.

-Red route at Haldon Forest (Exeter) is easy but fun on a rigid or nearly rigid bike. I rode there a few months ago with a bunch of IT bods on a collection of retro bikes, and even the man on the original orange clockwork with 18″ bars enjoyed it.

I hear the south and south east of England has a plethora of non-technical bridleways with insignificant gains and losses in height. (Biiiiiig 😉 )

Kevevs
    Free Member

I really, really like riding The Marin Trail & Penmachno 🙂 It’s half hour drive away, not stupidly technical and jumpy, and it’s fun/easy enough on my hardtail and lovely and a full day out on bike and I like it. so there!!

trailmonkey

Most of the Quantocks – Weacombe, Stert/ Somerton etc.

_tom_
    Free Member

Follow the Dog
    Woburn (not the freeride bit)
    Wyre forest

theotherjonv

Seagull run at Swinley.

Pink Glove on Tunnel Hill.

And many more in the vicinity …….

jedi

gt blue for me too 🙂

GW
    Free Member

actually having thought about this.. GT Blue brings me the biggest grins but it’s from following my daughter down the swoopy bits, she’s no way the quickest little grom out there but she flows down them so well and hits all the right lines with confidence and commitment (nothing like her shady dad 8) )

allthepies
    Free Member

Sniff my cheese on Tunnel Hill.

nonk
    Free Member

penmachno is great but i am not sure you can say its wussy non tech, loads of people spanner themselfs up there yknow.

another gt blue here.

wwaswas

South Downs Way?

bit weather dependant but if it’s a bit frosty would make a lovely 2 day, non-technical ride.

ditch_jockey

cycle paths round Lochan Eilean up in Rothiemurchus forest at Aviemore. Nice easy paths for taking groups of young people round, and the little descent from the white bridge down to the campsite at Coylumbridge is a brilliant track for a first experience of pedalling fast through trees as it’s a smooth gravelled surface and wide enough to not be intimidating.

Plus the view over to the Northern Corries would bring tears to a glass eye when there’s snow lingering round the corrie lip.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Lochgilphead to Crinan and back on the canal towpath, with lunch at the Crinan Hotel. Never difficult to motivate my wife for that one.

Edinburgh to Linlithgow and back along the canal with lunch at Champany is another one she likes.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

From Corfe Castle to near Studland (Old Harry’s rocks) in Dorset, some great sea views with dramatic cliff edges at the end of the ride.

kennyp
    Free Member

Glentress blue. The perfect example of what a blue graded run should be like. It’s particularly good at night.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

trail centre: I particularly like the Brechfa blue/green which is a bit wider, no scary steep bits, smooth but with proper corners and whoops to get the feel of moving the bike around – it even has some very very safe tables if you feel inclined. And at full speed it’s a scream.

local: look for some nice wide, straight bridlepaths and forest roads to link up, ideally with some views and destination e.g. cafe or pub. The Quantock ridgetop and a couple of the easier combes, are ideal easy ground.

ivantate
    Free Member

Can you only do easy trails because its a 29er?

Bedgebury, Cannock and Sherwood Pines all seem easy enough although maybe a bit sticky at the moment.

scotabroad

Dalbeattie blue

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Red run at Stile Cop to the berm – so super awesome fun and don’t need to worry about a single root 🙂

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Get an OS Map and go for an adventure on your local Bridleways.

I am sure there are lots of good general areas to head for.

I can vouch for The Chilterns, and some of Surrey Hills. A mate of mine lives in Abergavenny and he enjoys his 26 mile each way commute down the Monmouthshire canal at the foot of the Brecon Beacons.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite wussy, non-technical trail?’ is closed to new replies.