Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)
  • What's your favourite thing about "The North"?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Finding myself in the Yorkshire landscape on a St. Bees-to-Whitby coast to coast.

PS: Where does “The North” start, exactly? Is it Watford?

Harry_the_Spider

This 😉

Riding my bike round Austwick/Clapham/Settle

The Lakes

Manchester city centre (when I was younger)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Harrogate,

Is there any more Yorkshire?

spchantler
    Free Member

that its a long way from london

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

that people from london think that fabled place called “the north” is waaaay south of here

chiefgrooveguru

Geoffrey Boycott.

amodicumofgnar

I’ll have it’s not the South before anyone else does.

IHN

The people.

Crewe (is where it starts, it’s not my favourite thing. In fact it’s ‘orrible)

RustySpanner

Friendly people, wild scenery, space, the history & culture and the frothy stuff on the top of yer beer.

PS: Where does “The North” start, exactly? Is it Watford?

In your head, just after you’ve held the door open for someone.

SaxonRider

The North starts where the M5 meets the M6 around Birmingham. That’s when the skies turn heavy grey, the buildings begin to turn to heavy red or brown brick, the traffic turns heavy, and people succumb to heavy depression.

St Bees to Whitby? Sounds like a nice trek, but you’re going to have a hard time avoiding the whole religious history thing on that run! And of course, it’s those sorts of places I would have suggested visiting/taking pics of.

binners

the ready availability of mushy peas, gravy and curry sauce

jam-bo

The North starts where the M5 meets the M6 M4 around Birmingham Bristol

fixed

IHN

oh and, of course, Binners.

*blows kiss*

glupton1976
    Free Member

It provides an adequate buffer between us and the South.

binners

Ahhhh bless. You’re so kind IHN. I am actually known as a local landmark 😀

Oh…. and the lasses of course

hammerite
    Free Member

Binners is right with chips and gravy.

I got amused at a meeting in London last week after hearing for years from people who live in the North that there’s more to the country than just London (I don’t live in London, but do live in the South)….. the people from London were moaning that all the funding for housing projects goes to people in the North and largely Yorkshire 😆 and nothing is available for those in the South.

maccruiskeen

Not having to choose between living in the city or the countryside – being able to have a foot in both. In fact… not even having to choose a city, you can place yourself so that you have a choice of cities to work and play in

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

IHN +1
    According to

The North officially starts in Crewe

seosamh77
    Free Member

Probably the cairngorms i think.

rewski
    Free Member

jota180
    Free Member

Favourite bit, St. Bees-to-Whitby?

Well it won’t be St Bees on that run
    Probably Swaledale and just as you cross into Yorkshire you’ll be able to have a pint at the highest pub in the UK before the run down into Swaledale

binners

Absolutely rabid tribal hatred for people who live in the next town. They’re crap at that darn sarf

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The North starts around a line from Aberdeen to Fort William. That people call Manchester and Leeds the North is laughable! They are barely even north of the middle if you run a line from Berwick to the channel.

mudshark
    Free Member

Having lived in Chester I’d say that’s not in the north – but Manchester, Sheffield and Hull are.

Edric64
    Free Member

The north starts at BristoL

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s easier to see how beautiful this island really is.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The North/South divide mapped

From here

missnotax
    Free Member

Anything north of Newbury….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Bimbler

never mind scottish independence, I’d happily divide this country along those lines..

ThePinkster

IHN – Member
    Crewe (is where it starts, it’s not my favourite thing. In fact it’s ‘orrible)

Oi, that’s where I’m typing this now and it’s nowhere near as ‘orrible as most places darn sarf.

maccruiskeen

The North starts around a line from Aberdeen to Fort William. That people call Manchester and Leeds the North is laughable! They are barely even north of the middle if you run a line from Berwick to the channel.

‘North’ isn’t a geographical term. I’d agree with that map except Leicester is on the wrong side of it. But I’d place Bristol as detached island of north float in the north. A northberg.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Loughrigg Fell

Links golf – ok not exclusively North, but….

RustySpanner

‘North’ isn’t a geographical term.

Exactly.
    Most of Wales is North, Apart from Abersoch and Rhosneigr, which are culturally part of Cheshire, which is in the Midlands.

Didsbury is also part of Cheshire, and the inhabitants will be offered either repatriation or cultural re-education.

binners

Indeed. North is a state of mind maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I’d agree with that map above except I’d place Bristol in an island of north float in the north. A northberg.

Like large areas of Cheshire are actually outposts of the south

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Probably Swaledale and just as you cross into Yorkshire you’ll be able to have a pint at the highest pub in the UK before the run down into Swaledale

Passed the highest pub, but stayed in Swaledale and had a drink at “The Bull”. Asked the landlord why the pub name on the front wall was upside down. He said it was because the NT wouldn’t let him paint the building his preferred colours…

amodicumofgnar

Of England; Scotland seems less about latitude and more about elavation.

yunki
    Free Member

The North quite obviously starts at Lympstone.. Dirty big headed loudmouths all the way from there to Scotland as far as I can make out..

xiphon
    Free Member

My wife (She’s from there….)

😀

killwillforchips
    Free Member

….fick birdz.

Or should that be Geordie birdz.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite thing about "The North"?’ is closed to new replies.