Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • What's your favourite sound?
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

Birdsong
    A cat purring
    The crack of leather on willow
    The crunch of mtb tyres through snow to semi-frozen mud
    A football hitting the back of the net

singlespeedstu

That hollow kind of sound that tyres make on peaty moorland trails on the rare occasion that they’re dry enough to get any kind of speed on them.
    The buzzzzz of a Chris King hub on a fast decent.
    The whirr of a cable car cable and the clunk, clunk, clunck noise as it goes over the wheels on one of the masts.

bearnecessities

A football hitting the back of the net

Good call, but not if you’re a keeper, as I was 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Coming back from a walk with very wet dogs. You throw a towel over them to dry them. There’s a particular growl they have when you rub them.
    Then their scrambled eggs. The sound of them chomping their breakfast with the occasional clink of tag on bowl.
    The sounds of happy dogs.

onandon
    Free Member

Throwing a stone along a frozen lake.

scant
    Free Member

the rumble of a tioga disk drive

brooess
    Free Member

Clicking into or out of an SPD

sadexpunk

the opening chords of a classic punk song on 6 music when youre not expecting it.

sad? clues in the name, clues in the name 😀

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The sound your fingers make when you drag them over the guitar strings.

And my daughter sleeping.

slowoldman

A lapwing or a curlew on the moors.
    Or a top fueller.

takisawa2

That “thunk thunk” sound, that car tyres make going over those expansion joints on bridges.

maccruiskeen

Light highland summer nights sleeping with the windows open and the sound of oyster catchers ‘calling the distances’

Torminalis
    Free Member

Side 3 of Electric Ladyland at wife-absent volumes.

701arvn
    Free Member

I have left the Coogee Bay Hotel and am walking on the beach with a girl I have just met. The waves break hissing on the sand, it starts to rain.

samuri
    Free Member

I do like the sound of a quality car door shutting gently. Porsche, BMW, AUDI, Jag. Absolutely lovely.

But my top sound is leaves under bike tyres. That crispy crunch is unique and tells you winter is on its way. Beautiful.

wrecker
    Free Member

I do love the sound of a squadron of Canada Geese gobbing off as they fly. Always makes me smile.
    My absolute favourite is my little boy cracking up, especially when he snorts.

mikey3
    Free Member

The sound of the owls when I leave my window open or the beginning of wish you were here(that synth build up thing) or maybe the sound of my tyres when im really on form and flying between the trees(kind of imagine in in that star wars film,dont know which one I,m not a fan:)) or maybe the start of a million songs ,really dislike the sound of the wind now though,used to like it but now my legs are a bit fed up of pedalling against it:)

cbike
    Free Member

Class 37 climbing the hill at helensburgh on West Highland Line. And running down the tunnel at the station with the corrogated iron roof has a great multi slapback accoustic.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The (non) sound of thick snow and no wind. And then that creaking noise as you walk on the freshfall.

Tawny owls

Blackbird evensong

Children laughing

Buzzards mewing

Rain lashing the windows

Lawnmowers buzzing in the distance

Mast-rigging clanking in the harbour

Mountain streams and sheep

Our dog snoring

(Haven’t we done this before?)

wee-al
    Free Member

Roland 808 kick drum

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Didn’t realise how many girls we have here on STW! 😉

For me it’s simply silence. Would’ve been something else before having kids though I’m sure 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Does anyone actually enjoy the sound of adult voices? There are mentions of our children laughing, snoring, bickering etc – yet it strikes me that most preferred sounds seem to be *not* other adults talking? I may be wrong, but adult voices being (I suppose) the most common sound most of us hear on any given day, then anything else is relief? It may be for me, but there are exceptions. Which reminds me:

Cerys Matthews speaking

jools182
    Free Member

Lying on the beach just as the sun’s going down and everyone has left, listening to the waves, birds, and the faint noise of civilisation in the distance.

Also the stillness after a good snow fall

On the other hand, a Ferrari flat 12 at full throttle

cheez0
    Free Member

Spifire Merlin engine.

Bovington Tiger tank Maybach engine.
    Leopard 1 MTU engine.

derek_starship
    Free Member

A goldfinch singing from the highest point of our sycamore.

So beautifully mellifluous.

tomhoward

The cries of my vanquished foes.

slowoldman

Just remembered. As a student in hall of residence in Sheffield waking up on a Sunday to the sound of Ranmoor church bells.

Oh and the scream on “Careful with that Axe, Eugene”, live in Sheffield City Hall.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My elderly dog snoring gently next to me now is pretty comforting. The sound of someone in the distance really opening up a performance motorbike always makes me smile. An acoustic guitar being played around a beach fire.

nach
    Free Member

That ping sound MTB tyres sometimes make as small things fly out from under them.

Moses

Birdsong – curlews, robins, thrushes or larks depending on when and where I am.
    And the special sound of appreciation from a lady friend.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Snipe ‘drumming’, especially because you only hear it in the evenings in remote places, so you’re probably out camping, bonus!

Close second is Curlew calling, for much the same reasons.

Didn’t know what the drumming was that we heard on South Uist till I described it to the warden at Banranald.
    Love the sound of the Curlew as well as the Corncrake, which we heard loads of times on Uist.

nach
    Free Member

Wow, snipe drumming sounds like part of a horror film soundtrack:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDZVc5agFU[/video]

FFJA
    Free Member

My 16 month old daughters giggle. Sadly I don’t get to hear it anymore.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Spifire Merlin engine.

^ 🙂 Yes that. Remember visiting Duxford museum for the first time and witnessing an unannounced low pass of a lone Spit, flew around the main hangar, banked and then climbed – brrrrr.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

The wife shouting “YesYesYes push a bit harder keep going yes nearly there” – as I bump start her car in the morning.

pondo

BRM V 16.

Click here

Honestly, no internal combustion engine on earth sounds as good.

stevied
    Free Member

A Vulcan fly-by or, one for the machinists out there, the sound of my machines hitting 12,000RPM then the cutter hitting the aluminium @ 6-8,000mm/min.
    Pretty sad but, on some jobs, I can tell how far through it is by the sound of the spindle/cutting tool 😳

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite sound?’ is closed to new replies.