Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 302 total)
  • What's your favourite conspiracy theory?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Heard one today that made me wee a bit. Apparently, the CIA were behind the Paris Concorde crash. They arranged for the debris on the runway so the plane would be fatally compromised. Why? Because the US government were envious of the Anglo-French supersonic success. Arse cakes!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt there are some dodgy inept coverups/conspiracies going on but most of the popular ones are BS i reckon.

This. There’s probably some pretty shocking stuff going on so far out of the public eye that there aren’t even conspiracies about it, but Occam’s Razor rules out most of the big (both in popularity and in scale) ones for me.

metalheart
    Free Member

I remember reading somewhere (so it must be true…) that at the Waco shoot out some of the ‘Feds’ wore ZOG jackets to wind the Koresh fellers up…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When in Bavaria, I can’t stop myself correlating:

a) the availability of tasty but cheap pork cuts and cured products
    b) no pigs being farmed anywhere
    c) the lack of crime and criminals

😯

toys19
    Free Member

I love the 9/11 ones, ignorance and “commonsense” at its worst.

maccruiskeen

You know when you’re watching BBC breakfast and the have the news then at the end the news they say “and now for the news and weather where you are” and there follows 5 minutes of inane waffle, show-boating try hard presenters with cozy local accents, and during bank holidays, a complete production cluster-fkkk…. Well that’s all part of a conspiracy to make it appear as if nothing of note or consequence occurs outside of the m25.

konabunny
    Free Member

the CIA definitely had a hand in Saddam Hussien and the Ba’ath party in Iraq, they were desperate to remove a pro Soviet government and replace it with one they felt was more inline with the west

Now understand you are referring to 1963. Hmmm – the CIA made encouraging noises and had an informer on the inside, but took no active steps. Call it 50/50 at best.

As an aside, as part of my degree, I had the opportunity to write a thesis under one of the foremost academics on Iraq. I wrote it about Iran. It was crap and he had no interest in it. <facepalm>

higthepig
    Free Member

You know when you’re watching BBC breakfast and the have the news then at the end the news they say “and now for the news and weather where you are”

That makes me shout at the tv, our sky box is set for BBC Midlands and I live in the Nederlands, they never mention what it is going to be like out here, ever…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

havent read the above but heres mine…

1 – Chemtrails, an utter classic, the tin hat think the government is pumping out evil chemicals in jet fuel and killing us all

2 – 9/11, utter bollox, how can you believe the twin towers were brought to the gournd with explosives.

GrahamS

Not seen anyone mention Pearl Harbour yet?

Theory goes that code-breaking efforts and other intelligence meant that Americans and British officials knew of the attack well in advance, but allowed it to happen to persuade the American public of the need to join the war.

Kryton57

I can’t be bothered reading the content before but here’s mine:

a) No one’s been to the Moon

b) 9/11 was a government ploy to sanction war with the middle east

c) OBL isnt dead / has been dead a while.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to love conspiricy theories, still do to some extent, but as I get older I think I’ve heard all/most of the arguments for/against them.

MrsBouy still loves the 9/11 explosives one, me I’m happy to LOL at the Roswell/Area 51 UFO thingy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I actually find the anger against ‘conspiracy theorists’ quite amusing; ‘how dare you entertain any concept of something that differs from the official line our wonderful governments have told us!’. 🙂

I think with anything, it’s essential to explore all possibilities. In a crime situation, it’s often folly to just follow what may appeared to have happened, and fortunately in our legal system you need to provide evidence that someone committed a crime before you can convict them of it.

And it is, as history has proven, entirely possible to fool large amounts of people into believing what you want them to, in order to serve your own ends. Check out the Reichstag Fire in 1933, and the events that followed…

And sometimes, it’s actually easier to get large amounts of people to believe your story, than individuals. careful manipulation of the media and other information sources, together with widespread condemnation and ridicule of anyone offering a differing view, can help engender a need amongst ordinary people to believe something. People are quite sheep-like.

With 911 in particular, the official line on what happened carries as much weight as any ‘conspiracy theory’, as there has never been any actual significant ‘evidence’ presented which supports the claims of the US government, who, as we all know, aren’t exactly the most reliable when it comes to telling the truth…

Personally I think it’s folly to blindly accept anything you are told, without first exploring any alternative possibilities. And I also find it a bit disturbing that seemingly ordinary people, as demonstrated on here, are so quick to denounce anybody who might entertain alternative views, as crankpots, nutcases, and dangerous. Why are you frightened that there might just, possibly, be another, altogether more unpalatable explanation for things?

After all, we routinely vote in governments who spin a web of lies and deceit to gain power… 😉

camo16
    Free Member

@Elfinsafety, you speak wise words.

There’s a difference isn’t there, though, between first exploring alternative possibilities to the official explanation and insisting that thugs gave Marilyn Monroe a toxic enema?

GrahamS

With 911 in particular, the official line on what happened carries as much weight as any ‘conspiracy theory’, as there has never been any actual significant ‘evidence’ presented which supports the claims of the US government

😯

Evidence? You mean other than the eye witness accounts, live news footage, flight recorders, crash investigation, engineering reports, the 9/11 commission, the FEMA investigation, the NIST investigation, the independent University of Edinburgh investigation…

PJM1974
    Free Member

My favourite Concorde conspiracy theory actually turned out to be true!

My old chap designed bits of Concorde and told me that they knew that Russian spies were trying to steal engineering secrets from the British and French engineers and designers. One problem that the Russians couldn’t solve was the rubber compound used on the tyres – remember that Concorde is a heavy plane and it’s landing speed is much higher than a conventional airliner. The Soviets kept blowing tyres on the Tu-144 prototypes.

Suspicious that intruders were scraping the runways for rubber samples, engineers actually went out and scattered bogus rubber samples on the runways. Apparently, this held up the Russians for some eighteen months…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s folly to blindly accept anything you are told, without first exploring any alternative possibilities.

Exactly, you should apply the same critical thinking to each possibility. But when you do this most of the conspiracy theories fall to bits pretty quickly IMO. That’s not to say that the official line must therefore be absolutely true of course.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Evidence? You mean other than the eye witness accounts, live news footage, flight recorders, crash investigation, engineering reports, the 9/11 commission, the FEMA investigation, the NIST investigation, the independent University of Edinburgh investigation…

No, I don’t mean a bunch of theories presented by such ‘investigations’ mate, I mean actual hard evidence.

Y’know, what you need to be able to prove something…

Like, the evidence that the buildings were actually brought down because of the intense heat from the fires- oh no, hang on, there isn’t any. Only theories as to what caused the buildings to collapse in a manner uncannily like a controlled demolition…

And if you’re presenting theories and hypotheses, isn’t it customary to have alternative ideas as well, look at the wider picture, explore all possibilities?

People are free to chose what they want, of course. But with such things, just because you have decided on what you’re going to believe in, doesn’t mean that alternative theories are necessarily wrong. Because if you want your own views to be taken as gospel truth, then you really will need some evidence.

Trouble is with such things, is it’s virtually impossibly, in a Human World, to find someone completely impartial and free from any agenda. We tend to go with what we’re most comfortable with, as it’s ‘safer’ and more convenient.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred!

Conspiracy? You bet. 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Trouble is with such things, is it’s virtually impossibly, in a Human World, to find someone completely impartial and free from any agenda. We tend to go with what we’re most comfortable with, as it’s ‘safer’ and more convenient.

At the risk of sounding like a total suck-up, there’s some real wisdom here!

Now I have all you posters’ opinions in my secret databank I can start leaching critical information… expect some memory loss, but no serious side effects.

GrahamS

Like, the evidence that the buildings were actually brought down because of the intense heat from the fires- oh no, hang on, there isn’t any.

You mean apart from the materials and structural investigations that NIST and others performed, and the complete lack of explosives at the scene?

Only theories as to what caused the buildings to collapse in a manner uncannily like a controlled demolition…

Yeah didn’t fall like any of the other 110 storey buildings that have been hit by two 767s 🙄

You realise that controlled demolitions only fall like that because they go in with big Stihl Saws and cut key supports before they detonate the explosives?

Are you seriously suggesting that those buildings (and presumably all other skyscrapers in that area) were pre-cut and rigged with a selection of demolition charges (thus endangering everyone in them on a daily basis) just on the off chance that someone flew a plane into them?

I tend to think that being hit by a 767 at 500 miles an hour, then having 10,000 gallons of jet fuel exploding and burning within them may be a more likely explanation.

duckman

Elfin; so you DONT believe that the Riechstag fire was starting in 12 different locations on three floors by a disabled Dutch Communist?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Here we go… 😀

You mean apart from the materials and structural investigations that NIST and others performed, and the complete lack of explosives at the scene?

I’m not even going to bother arguing with you, as you obviously have your mind made up, and any ‘discussion’ along this route will inevitably have you attempting to dismiss anything other than the Official Line.

Fine. You are of course free to believe in what you want. You and I both know that there isn’t actually a shred of evidence supporting the Official Line, it’s just theory, nothing else. NIST is a US government department, so hardly an impartial agency.

And that’s how it is. Lots of ‘experts’ claiming this that and the other, but no actual proof to back up the various claims.

I tend to think that being hit by a 767 at 500 miles an hour, then having 10,000 gallons of jet fuel exploding and burning within them may be a more likely explanation.

Just because you think that, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s right. It’s only an explanation, not what definitely happened.

But I’m interested in quite why you seem so keen to debunk any theories or views other than the Official Line…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elf – look at the evidence and theories and make your own mind up as to what is more likely.

The official explanations are backed up by the evidence – there is no evidence at all that backs up any alternative explanation

GrahamS

You and I both know that there isn’t actually a shred of evidence supporting the Official Line

I watched a plane fly into the building live on telly. Many hundreds of people were there and saw it first hand. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t photoshopped.

Lots of ‘experts’ claiming this that and the other, but no actual proof to back up the various claims.

What “proof” would you accept? I’m fairly sure that if they built exact replicas of the twin towers, rigged them with cameras and sensors, then flew identical planes into them and got a similar result you would still protest that it was rigged.

NIST is a US government department, so hardly an impartial agency.

Many agencies and organisations involving many, many people have investigated various aspects of the towers and published reports and papers. Conspiracy theories logically fail when they require hundreds of people to keep a secret. Especially when it is a secret that would have cost several thousand people their lives.

But I’m interested in quite why you seem so keen to debunk any theories or views other than the Official Line…

I’m interested in debunking nonsense. I’m quite open to other reasonable explanations of any event, provided they have some suitable evidence or even just a basic anchor in reality.

nedrapier

Graham S, don’t forget the other biulding that collapsed in a similar fashion and wasn’t hit by a plane.

Plenty of inconsistencies and disquieting elements to the official story. Trouble is, there are so many arguments, counter arguments, suppositions stated as fact, facts dismissed as supposition, arguments presented and dismissed using straw man fallacies, and all from every conceivable viewpoint that it’s very hard to make any headway in a conversation with someone about it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

well my favouite is from the weekly world news which stated that jfk is alive, and the his coffin is full of wooden planks. and according to the utterly reliable weekly world news “the evidence is there for anyone with a shovel to see for themselves”

Weekly World News, The World’s Only Reliable Newspaper

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf – look at the evidence and theories and make your own mind up as to what is more likely.

I have done. And I’ve also considered the motivations behind those who are presenting the theories. Indeed many of those presenting ‘alternative’ views and theories have no apparent political or economic motivations, whereas agencies such as NIST definitely do. Oh, and several leading academics and scientist lost their jobs for daring to suggest alternative views…

The official explanations are backed up by the evidence

Yeah, ok, if you say so, eh? 😉

Open mind is what it’s all about. Not swallowing the Official Line. Having an open mind doesn’t make you a nutter, a crankpot, unpatriotic or any of the other vitriolic accusations flung about by those siding with the Official Line, it just means you might want to actually know the whole truth, not just accept what you are told to think.

You’ll be telling me the USA is a democracy, next…

toys19
    Free Member

exactly the same manner as a controlled demolition

I love the way this is trotted out every time. What exactly do you know about demolition to say that this is true?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m interested in debunking nonsense. I’m quite open to other reasonable explanations of any event

No you’re not. You’re interested only in appearing correct, clever, and superior to someone who might have a different onion to your own. Your apparent desire to debunk any of what you call ‘conspiracy theories’ suggests perhaps that you aren’t, actually, entirely convinced deep down, but need to feel that you are…

I watched a plane fly into the building live on telly. Many hundreds of people were there and saw it first hand. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t photoshopped.

Sigh. We know that two planes crashed into the towers. What I am interested in is why they collapsed. The official Line states categorically that the collapse was due to the heat melting the steel structure, but hasn’t actually produced and real evidence of this. Ergo, it’s only theory. So, why is this theory more ‘correct’ than any other? Because it’s the one the US government want you to accept? Why do the US government want you to accept it? Have you not asked yourself this?

It could be purely coincidental, but since 911, the US has consolidated it’s global position of power, and many people have got very, very rich from the spoils of war. Funny that, eh?

Next you’ll be telling me that were definitely Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq… 😉

GrahamS

Graham, don’t forget the other building that collapsed in exactly the same manner as a controlled demolition would produce, and wasn’t hit by a plane…

That would be 7 World Trade Center where numerous fires burned out of control most of the day, with no working sprinkler system to stop them. A massive bulge in the building was spotted accompanied by structural creaking at 2pm and fire crews were withdrawn at 3:30pm because it was obvious to them that the building was going to collapse.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I love the way this is trotted out every time. What exactly do you know about demolition to say that this is true?

What do you know about demolition to say that it’s untrue? More than the various experts on demolition of large buildings, architects, scientists, engineers etc who have all presented their own theories that the towers’ collapse was brought about by a controlled demolition?

See, notice how I’m not actually saying one thing or another here, unlike some of youse? I’m merely entertaining different views, is all. Youse seem stuck on believing one Official Line.

toys19
    Free Member

The official Line states categorically that the collapse was due to the heat melting the steel structure, but hasn’t actually produced and real evidence of this. Ergo, it’s only theory.

If you had actually read the NIST report you would not say this, because this is not the official line. I cannot see how you can argue that your mind is open and that they ahvent produced any evidence when you have nto bothered to examine what they have produced. Ergo you’re talking boillocks as usual.

More than the various experts on demolition of large buildings, architects, scientists, engineers etc who have all presented their own theories that the towers’ collapse was brought about by a controlled demolition?

Show me a report by one of these experts?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you had actually read the NIST report you would not say this, because this is not the official line.

Sigh

Metallurgic examination by NIST suggested that heat damaged conributed to the weakening of the steel core which in turn contributed to the failure of the structures’ integrity.

Can’t be bothered any more, cos you’re resorting to vitriolic crap rather than actually have a polite discussion. You’re whole agenda is not about finding out the truth, but denouncing those who dare question the Official Line.

If you want to believe it, and close your mind to any possible alternatives, based on bugger all real evidence and actual proof, fine. Up to you. Your choice.

Personally I think it’s more important to hold out for actual facts, rather than theories and conjecture, but there you go.

Oh, and you might find these useful:

Oh, and this lot don’t really seem like a bunch of nutters and crankpots, somehow:

http://www.ae911truth.org/en/about-us.html

GrahamS

Oh, and several leading academics and scientist lost their jobs for daring to suggest alternative views…

Who? Which ones?

No you’re not. You’re interested only in appearing correct, clever, and superior to someone who might have a different onion to your own.

I’ve read the alternative explanations and found lots of wild conjecture and no convincing evidence. I’ve read the “official line” and found evidence and explanation that fits with what was observed.

We know that two planes crashed into the towers. What I am interested in is why they collapsed.

You don’t think the two might be somehow related?

The official Line states categorically that the collapse was due to the heat melting the steel structure, but hasn’t actually produced and real evidence of this.

Steel buckles, deforms and even melts in very hot fires. I don’t need the real evidence from the US government to accept this. Do you?

It could be purely coincidental, but since 911, the US has consolidated it’s global position of power, and many people have got very, very rich from the spoils of war. Funny that, eh?

Yes, yes, I read Chomksy too.

No doubting the US used 9/11 to that end, but that doesn’t mean they had a hand in it, or assisted in the murder of 2,753 of their citizens (but bizarrely decided to control the destruction so that no more than that died).

Why would they need to risk being caught orchestrating a terrorist attack against their own people when one would happen anyway?

M6TTF
    Free Member

the 9/11 ones are great, and i actually reckon there’s some sniff of truth in some of them 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Metallurgic examination by NIST suggested that heat damaged conributed to the weakening of the steel core which in turn contributed to the failure of the structures’ integrity.

does not mean what you previously said

the collapse was due to the heat melting the steel structure

Which is just part of the classic obfuscation that you are trying to carry out. and now that I have called you out over your so called experts view on demolition you are backing out because of my vitriol? Or is it because you havent got anything to back it up with.

Oh, and this lot don’t really seem like a bunch of nutters and crankpots, somehow:

http://www.ae911truth.org/en/about-us.html

Ha ha they have been soundly debunked numerous times I’ll just look up the ref for you. Ha ha oh my golly gosh that is weak, I didn’t realise yhou were basing this tripe on stuff from AE911, anyone with half a minutes experience in 911 consipracies knows whaty a bunch of charalatans they are.

here ya go loads of easy to read stuff about why ae911 truth is a load of bollocks

jam-bo

its probably been done already but I think its about time for xkcd…

doh
    Free Member

null jeff rense

great site with a mixture of conspiracy stuff and other nonsense.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 302 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite conspiracy theory?’ is closed to new replies.