Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 302 total)
  • What's your favourite conspiracy theory?
  • camo16
    Free Member

An ill-timed remark about the Diana conspiracy theory being ‘dumb horsesh•t’ kicked off an intense two-hour conspiracy discussion in the 16 household yesterday evening.

Mrs 16, it should be said, is a profound conspiracy theorist: JFK/Dallas was an US Govt. cover-up; Marilyn Monroe was knocked off by US Govt. agents; Diana was bumped off by the Royals. I, on the other hand, invariably opt for the ‘c•ck up’ explanation because, basically, I’m not convinced humans are clever enough to conspire properly…

Do any conspiracy theories really make sense?

MSP

Do any conspiracy theories really make sense?

Our lizard rulers deliberately create lots of wacky conspiracy theories so that the real conspiracies get lost in the tidal wave of madness.

khani
    Free Member

No, if they can’t even cover up their fraudulent duckhouse expenses claims, then conspiracy theories are way out of their league
    IMO…..

D0NK

I’m not convinced humans are clever enough to conspire properly

this, I’ve no doubt there are some dodgy inept coverups/conspiracies going on but most of the popular ones are BS i reckon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Grayson and Bates claiming they would ‘get in some Premiership quality payers’ in the transfer window.

😕

wwaswas

I read somethign the other day about conspiracy theorists.

It was along the lines of the fact they really need there to be some overriding human agency controlling things. If everything that happened were just chance and cock-up it would leave them feeling profoundly adrift in society.

Bit like religion then 😉

mt
    Free Member

“the truth is out there” now that is total bollocks (wooden balls).

camo16
    Free Member

It was along the lines of the fact they really need there to be some overriding human agency controlling things. If everything that happened were just chance and cock-up it would leave them feeling profoundly adrift in society.

Which explains why conspiracies only seem to affect beautiful, popular and well-loved people, I reckon.

Ugly, unpopular people just die. Sad, but true.

GrahamS

No, if they can’t even cover up their fraudulent duckhouse expenses claims

Yeah but that’s hardly a conspiracy is it?

The claims were not fraudulent, they were made in accordance with the rules, fully documented and submitted to the MP’s fees office.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That wiggle only put the note on the GT-85 page saying “NOT A CHAIN LUBE” to force you to into buying another £2.99 of oil.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That tandemjeremy has a tandem.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I like the ones about twin towers not getting hit by planes, but missiles.
    The theory goes, surely after the 1st one hit there’d be loads of decent resolution video of the second plane with all those cameras looking up. Apparently not that much available.
    WHO HAS BEEN PAID OFF? 😯

richmtb

The thing is the have been some genuine conspiracies and cover ups though.

Watergate, Oliver North, the Nicaraguan contras, proxy wars in Afghanistan, the CIA installing Mobutu in Zaire and Hussein in Iraq. The list goes on.

Most of the real ones are actually more interesting than the wacky ones

mt
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

The real ones are not on your list.

yunki
    Free Member

Which explains why conspiracies only seem to affect beautiful, popular and well-loved people, I reckon.

and crack-heads and heroin addicts in ghettos the world over..

richmtb

richmtb – Member

The real ones are not on your list.

Yeah but most of them come out in the end!

khani
    Free Member

Yeah but that’s hardly a conspiracy is it?

No, but it shows how useless they are

The claims were not fraudulent, they were made in accordance with the rules, fully documented and submitted to the MP’s fees office.

Are you an MP, and why did they have to pay it back then?
    The point I was trying to make is that I don’t think they have the wherewithall to successfully conspire to tie their own shoelaces

camo16
    Free Member

Plus, I heard the big hitters were really STW moderators letting of steam… but I dismissed that one as whacky leftiness.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I worked with someone who was into these theories, he thought he was a cut above everyone due to his ‘information’ he read online. Everyone was target and everything was a cover-up to him. Always his ‘expert’ opinion seemed more outlandish than the reality. We were working in a shop, it is an old building next to the court, there’s a passageway under the shop (turned into a stock area) that was used to lead criminals from court to the town centre for hanging. It was pretty spooky in all honesty down there. There was a rumour the shop was haunted, doors slamming, people seeing orbs that kind of thing. A leak and collapse in the roof ment an emergency repair was needed that night, I was asked to stay overnight as a keyholder, fine I thought double pay and I can take my playstation in. I got bored and drew on a clear bit of plastic a figure and went down to the cellar with my phone to see if I could catch footage of the ghost. I made a purposefully crude video of the figure moving on the plastic, youtubed it in jest, and shared the link round. Mr conspiracy was in his element, he talked about changes in temperature and vanishing orbs. I cane clean it was a hoax,(it was quite obvious, coupled with my reputation as s joker) but he wouldn’t believe me. He wanted to know if head office asked me to keep quiet. I wonder if it’s still on YouTube… Hmmm

GW
    Free Member

Don’t have a favorite but my least favorite are definitely the psychotic ones that couldn’t possibly be true to anyone sane… but could they? 😉

DenDennis
    Free Member

That one about helmets being potentially more harmful by wearing them than not in certain crashes is a good one too! 😆

brooess
    Free Member

Think about the people you know who are always into these things.
    Are they generally sensible, sane, commonsense people.
    Or a bit paranoid, insecure, odd…

I think the idea above about some people ‘needing’ them to make sense of a rather mad and random world makes a lot of sense…

camo16
    Free Member

Think about the people you know who are always into these things.
    Are they generally sensible, sane, commonsense people.
    Or a bit paranoid, insecure, odd…

I think the idea above about some people ‘needing’ them to make sense of a rather mad and random world makes a lot of sense…

Brooess, I hesitate to call Mrs 16 paranoid, insecure or odd…

** She may have intercepted this thread **

…but the ‘needing’ bit makes sense.

GrahamS

Are you an MP, and why did they have to pay it back then?

Because there was a public outcry from the electorate after The Daily Telegraph published details of the expenses claims. The public (rightly) didn’t like seeing huge expense claims for luxury items. But the vast majority of those claims were not fraudulent. Immoral maybe, but not illegal.

In the end only six MPs were actually charged with fraud or “false accounting”.
    (and “duckhouse-man”, Sir Peter Viggers was not one of them)

The point I was trying to make is that I don’t think they have the wherewithall to successfully conspire to tie their own shoelaces

Yeah but the point I’m making is that the expenses were never supposed to be secret. You can’t really judge their ability to conspire and keep secrets based on something that wasn’t secret.

wwaswas

Most conspiracy theories tend to involve ‘shadow governments’ of the rich and powerful workign in conjunction with shadowy secret service type organisations rather than elected politicians.

Probably, as has been suggested, because even the paranoid and delusional find Nick Clegg conspiring anything a step too far.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I love all the conspiricy theories

Well, to be more accurate I LOVE seeing intelligent peopole get sooooo wound up over trying to convince everyone that they’re true, spouting all sorts of bollox and getting in a right tizzy. It’s fun. 🙂

GrahamS

Most conspiracy theories tend to involve ‘shadow governments’ of the rich and powerful workign

You mean these sorts of people:

“The Bilderberg Group is an annual, unofficial, invitation-only conference of approximately 120 to 140 guests from North America and Western Europe, most of whom are people of influence. About one-third are from government and politics, and two-thirds from finance, industry, labour, education and communications. Meetings are closed to the public and often feature future political leaders shortly before they become household names.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilderberg_Group

camo16
    Free Member

None of the above can explain Marilyn though…

Surely undercover goons in the pay of the JFK/the mob administered a lethal suppository really, really softly while she was sleeping, leaving absolutely no trace?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There are only 2 people on this forum… me… and you.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t care what they say, I think it really is butter.

camo16
    Free Member

I’m not even sure about you to be honest…

khani
    Free Member

Yeah but the point I’m making is that the expenses were never supposed to be secret. You can’t really judge their ability to conspire and keep secrets based on something that wasn’t secret.

Yes I can, if they can’t get away with it and it’s not even illegal, what hope do they have with a proper illegal act,

wwaswas

and them, keeping an eye on things, obviously.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the twin towers were brought down with explosives – in a controlled demolition style.

but not maliciously.

All buildings over a certain height in Manhattan are hard-wired with explosive charges, so that the building can be sacrificed if the structure becomes catastrophically damaged.

imagine how bad it was when the twin towers collapsed, now imagine how bad it would have been if the towers had fallen sideways, not collapsed vertically.

just think, for every new-york skyscraper there is a remote-destruct button…

(better to bring a building down more-or-less within it’s own foot print, than allow it to fall sideways: TIMBER!)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

and them

Nope, they’re me too.

TheFlyingOx

awhiles: You know, that actually sounds plausible… 😕

camo16
    Free Member

and them

Nope, they’re me too.

Dammit!

😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

i know, i made it up myself was told it by a retired CIA agent i met in the pub

wwaswas

Nope, they’re me too.

Ah, I’m them too!

Well, this is embarassing, shall we just move on to monitoring another forum now, then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 302 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite conspiracy theory?’ is closed to new replies.