Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • What's your favourite bit of winter riding kit?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s that time of year again!

Last year it was the Craft lobster gloves and a merino buff for me. This year it looks like being the Sportful R&D Wind jersey. Looks a bit funny, got some fancy polartec alpha stuff in it and windstopper on the front. 3 rides in on the road though and it really is very good. That and a normal short sleeve base have been fine for 5C rides. Shall be using it a lot this winter 🙂

Edit: Jam bo, ninja title change!

jam-bo

Kayak.

sandwicheater

Mulled wine in a Thermos, nom nom.

zilog6128

Winter jacket from Aldi that I bought 2 years ago for £16 and fits perfectly. Tried the new one on this year (looks the same but different colours) but the arms are now cut for orang-utans!

Merino buff also a very good bit of kit.

daftvader
    Free Member

North wave Celsius boots and gore softshell….

leffeboy

pearlizumi amfib tights. Going strong for 2 years now and still brilliant. Just got some Craft tights as well but not nearly as good

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well the item of clothing I always look forward to putting on when winter comes is my Gore Fusion jacket, which is just a fantastic bit of kit.

But this is its 6th winter and the zip has started having some issues catching, takes a few goes to seal it.

Other than that Aldi winter gloves.

chvck
    Free Member

The waterproof overtrousers that I cut into shorts, staying completely dry during a ride is brilliant.

rocketman
    Free Member

Probably a windstopper base layer from Craft. Outstandingly effective so I wear it with my usual kit instead of having to get kitted up like an Arctic explorer

smatkins1
    Free Member

My decathlon inner gloves were the best bargain. £1.99 for guaranteed toasty hands without putting my bulky winter gloves on.

lunge

Decathlon winter bib tights. Very warm, long legs and, whilst not waterproof, still warm when wet.
    Also, Aldi winter gloves. Filthy cheap and I’ve yet to find anything better.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably a windstopper base layer from Craft. Outstandingly effective

+1 for that, bit expensive but great bit of kit. Works really well under a race jersey too.

Lot of love on STW for Aldi it seems.

stevied
    Free Member

+

Warm hands & feet = happy me

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Ground Effect sub merino. Mid layer on cold days, outer layer on milder days, if I don’t have it on its in my bag just in case. A cheapo Karrimor softshell also gets a lot of use, just the right thickness for me and holding up well for something that only cost £30. Only grumble is that it could do with being longer in the back but as its not cycling specific that’s not its fault.

gren
    Free Member

Gore Phantom II softshell jacket. Not been cold enough down south this year yet but it’s coming…

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Craft windstopper vest
    Aldi gloves (obviously)
    Decathlon fleece neck warmer (£2.99!)
    Rapha softshell jacket

redddraggon
    Free Member

I did have an Assos 851 winter jacket which was awesome, crashed wearing it 🙁

I’d probably be too fat to zip it up now though if I still had it.

soma_rich
    Free Member
    Mister-P
    Free Member

My Pearl Izumi roadie thermal cap. Not sure why I haven’t used one before, the peak is great for keeping the rain off your face.

Yak

Road – neoprene planet x overshoes.
    Mtb – not kit, but accessory – a very old crudcatcher. Keeps bottles clean enough to be viable throughout the winter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

And how could I forget my rapha softshell and winter jerseys, although I start wearing them in autumn so not reserved for winter.

richardthird

Gore windstopper skullcap with lifty uppy ear flaps this side of -10

HH base layers and of course Aldi winter softshell & gloves ftw

will
    Free Member

Two items stand out for me:
    – Prendas Aqualite Overshoes
    – Condor Belgium winter cap

Actually have just written a blog post on tis very subject: http://ridingcircle.blogspot.com/2014/12/because-winter-is-hard-enough-what.html

soma_rich
    Free Member

great Blog Will I think I might get a couple of those bits!

cheers

jobro
    Free Member

Gore Phantom II softshell jacket. Probably best bit of kit I’ve ever owned.

Versatile enough to load with layers for the worst weather (I’m currently loving Helly Warm base layer) and still OK with arms zipped off for spring/Autumn

40mpg

Short goretex gaiters from Go_outdoors for about £15. Keep all that freezing spray and mud off your ankles and out of your boots. Best thing eva.

scotroutes

Pogies
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e4qJqD]Untitled[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

will
    Free Member

Thanks Rich.

fasthaggis

Gore gilet

gavstorie
    Free Member

Lake MX303 boots… brilliant in cold wet muddy conditions

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My neoprene ankle-cuffs/mini-gaiters. Cause I made them myself and they keep wetness from going in over the top of my winter boots.

avdave2

A pair of Lusso thermal bib tights that are well over 20 years old now and an Altura head band to cover my ears.. Cold hands and feet are unpleasant but I don’t think anything compares to the pain of an icy wind blowing straight into your ear.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think my winter boots were the first thing i’ve bought and thought how did ever live without them.

Other things are good – but not such a ‘step change’.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Shimano boots, warm dry feet = Happy me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Rapha Pro Team jacket, I was in it again today with just a short sleeve merino t-shirt underneath and I giggled to myself at the top of one of my climbs and thought “bloody hell this jackets ace”

Also I have a pair of Castelli thin gloves, I can’t remember the name of them but blimey they surprise each time I have them on, warm when needed, cool when needed but most of all they feel like I’m not wearing them.
    Perfect.

michaelbowden

Winter boots.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Hmm a couple of items, santini windstopper bib tights and Rapha soft shell jacket!

Bregante

Only come into use when it gets properly Baltic but by god they’re warm.

jekkyl

Can I say my hipflask?

cakefacesmallblock

Waterproof shorts and Aldi winter trouser combo. Baa baa thin under helmet beanie thing comes close too.

For days not riding from home, bloody great van, with a diesel heater, to get changed in, comes a close runner up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite bit of winter riding kit?’ is closed to new replies.