Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • What’s your favourite bike tool?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Up until recently I’d probably have said my star-nut installer, just because it makes the job so easy.

But that was before I got one of these…

Makes fitting stubborn tyres an absolute doddle, hugely satisfying to “own” the tyres that used to give me all manner of grief.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a rank puller… that’l be my favourite tool when I use it. There is a special moment you get whn you use the right tool for the job, and it works so well!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I invested in a set of cone spanners… wow !!!

simonk
    Free Member

my campag crank puller for taper BB system, really well made 🙂 inserts comments about fondling tools

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

park tools cable cutter.

but when i find a great deal on a park tools pro wheel jig!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mine is about ten years old now, and built hundreds of bikes while in the trade. It’s still going strong. Simple, well made and just what you need for loads of bike (and household!) repairs.

sputnik
    Free Member

Bottle opener

Olly
    Free Member

bushing removal/replacement tool.

super satisfying (satisfying enough to use the word “super” infact)

anodized, lazer etched betd loverlyness,
    makes a 15min bodge job, which risks being expensive in mashed bushings, and possibly press fitting a socket into a shockeye, into a literally 30 second job.
    with two satisfying thwacks of a rubber mallet.

cracking

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My Spoke Key.

Must have saved me £hundreds in wheel truing costs over the years, and now even more since I started building my owm wheels.
    Everyone should learn how to true if not build their own wheels. It’s very easy, and there’s no mistique to it like some would have you believe. I started off with an MBUK article in about 1992…..

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Adam Blake, Iowa City Ia

I think that guy is a Park Tools fan…

16stonepig
    Free Member

Rubber mallet. Endless fun.

Oggles
    Free Member

The bottle opener I made from an old brake lever.
    I don’t really have anything else fancy, but the Hope bore cap tools are cool. No nonsense, supply your own handle for leverage, lumps of metal 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

proper pedal spanner and chaingring bolt thingy have probably saved me the most pain and blood !!
    But I still have a soft spot for the old rubber mallet – allows extreme twatting with far less chance of collateral damage…..

snowslave

Hammer

chakaping
    Free Member

I lost my rubber mallet on holiday in Spain the other year, really need to get a new one.

spacehopper

3 way 4,5,6 mm allen key i got free with MBUK many moons ago… awesome tool!

is it just me or does everyone elses 5mm allen keys and 10mm spanners always go walkabout never to be seen again?

trail-pixie
    Free Member

i was going to say me,but it has to be my bike stand and my rubber timmy,no more putting the bike upside down,holding a piece of wood over the crank and hitting it with a hammer…joy

finbar
    Free Member

Bondhus ball ended hex keys atmo, though i’m getting a Norbar torque wrench for my birthday 😀 (unless my dad craps out and gets me a Sealey one, i hope not)

kennyNI
    Free Member

Not strictly bike tools, but all they get used for. Beta Tools 1/4″ Socket Set, with allen key bits. And a 1/4″ Norbar torque wrench to go with it.

Pedros work stand is very good, but a bit yellow.

FuzzyWuzzy

Park hex tools, no more rounded bolts 🙂 The torx tool is a close second (only because I don’t use it so much).

scruff
    Free Member

Anything made by Beta tools. Ohh ITALIAN ORANGE lovelyness.

MrAgreeable

Looks cool and just a smidge more versatile then a rubber mallet.

gavinski
    Free Member

We had this debate on the old site once – track pump wins every time

tinsy
    Free Member

Captainflashheart… I would have to list that as one of my most handy tools but also at the top of the most infuriating to use list, cant beat a proper set of T handle allen keys.

And any bike multi tools should be left in the saddlepack/rucksack for emergency use.

Cant beat proper tools all seperate and not fighting each other.

edit My Joe Blow pump is great edit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tool that makes my life easy is the peg spanner that fits the eccentric on the Tandem – makes a fiddly task easy

mushrooms
    Free Member

I have one of those rubber mallets and it is fun but it has to be my bog standard 5mm allen key with ball end.

dave-c
    Free Member

Not really a bike tool but a hydraulic press. Makes pressing in bearings, star nuts and headsets easy as pie.

salsaboy

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I’ve got two:

1: Park allen keys from 1991, the mini-tool thingy. The keys themselves have been replaced but the alloy housing is the same. My mum and dad bought it me and somehow I haven’t lost them. They mean a lot to me…

2: Campagnolo corkscrew. Quality engineering for a quality job. Bought as a present for getting my phd -the sort of thing I always wanted but never would have bought myself.

3 (ok I know): Park mini chain brute. A beast of a tool!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Y shaped 4,5,6mm hex key is my favourite too.

turboferret

blatant excuse to show off my new toy 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

kids they just love washing my bikes do a cr@p job mind but at least they try (free till they understand what money is and the youngest cleans my bike every friday even if it is clean)
    They are 2 and 4 so not quality but willing

racing_ralph
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

I lost my rubber mallet on holiday in Spain the other year, really need to get a new one.

What/why/how?

singlespeedstu

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s either my Shimano chainring bolt spanner or the Enduro bottom bracket bearing tool.

I’ve love one of those King hub tools…but I don’t actually have King hubs!

chakaping
    Free Member

King tools look nicer than King components!

Racing Ralph – I came home from holiday (camping) and the mallet didn’t.

grumm
    Free Member

Work stand and track pump are the most useful.

I do like this though –

UpQuickDownSlow

My chainring bolt spanners never seem to work very well. Have both Park and Shimano.

Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza torque wrench is my favourite. (Also sold under other brand names, eg: Ritchey)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

5mm allen key

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What’s your favourite bike tool?’ is closed to new replies.