Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • What's your favorite thing about London?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I work in it but live outside it.

jam-bo

its 200 miles away.

ericemel
    Free Member

Borough Market – but I could list loads of reason I choose to live here.

I both live and work in London

br
    Free Member

in summer, watching the office girls on my commute 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s at the other end of a different country.

Markie
    Free Member

The British Museum.

sobriety
    Free Member

The lack of a requirement to plan things, there’s always something to do, be it a gig, a show, an exhibition or just people watching.

Ex-Londoner, now trying to move back, turns out I miss it.

loddrik
    Free Member

The M40 away from it, I **** hate the place with a passion!! And I’m married to a Londoner so I’ve spent far more time there than I’d have liked…

atlaz
    Free Member

Right now, the fact I visit occasionally and enjoy it. When I lived there I was starting to get a bit fed up/jaded.

ericemel
    Free Member

there’s always something to do

There is way too much to do…its both great and frustrating! A whole lot of free stuff too.

Stoner
    Free Member

Salt beef sandwich from the cafe on Bedfordbury near Covent Garden
    The Harp (CAMRA POTY 2011) behind St Martin in the Fields
    Knowing my way around Zone 1 by bike like the back of my hand, have been riding around london for nearly 15 years now.
    My commute from Paddington to Trafalgar Square
    Lunchtime walk in the sun around covent garden in Black Iridium shades…
    All the hidden little bars and pubs I know in every corner of the town.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Being able to visit and leave knowing there is a whole other world out there

binners

I love the fact that so many people are prepared to cram themselves into a flat, boring bit of the country, so we can have all the hills.

I do enjoy a day wandering about Londons Galleries. The Tate Britain’s my favourite

ton

agree with Stoner…..some nice little boozers.

ThePinkster

jam bo – Member
    its 200 miles away.

+1 and my ex lives there and I don’t anymore.

maccruiskeen

Right now, the fact I visit occasionally and enjoy it. When I lived there I was starting to get a bit fed up/jaded.

The best thing about London is not living there – I’m not saying that in sneery way, but the people who live there seem to mostly miss out on all the best things about London that are right under their nose. I’ve plenty of friends in London but I get to experience more of the good stuff in London in 3 or 4 days than they seem to manage all year.

For me the best thing about London is walking – we clocked up 16 miles on our last leisurely convoluted mooch from Battersea to Chelsea to Brick Lane and back along the river.

antigee

not being there and not having to listen to epic commute stories – like up the limpopo (standing all the way) but the native ticket collectors jolly unhelpful when i forgot my season ticket and it cost thousands etc etc

McHamish
    Free Member

Not sure that i’ve got a favourite bit…i moved here from the country when i got married…much prefer living in the country.

That’s a bit worrying – I can’t think of anything I particularly like about the place in which I live. I suppose I’ve had some nice days out in London, but I’d still rather be a visitor.

ThePinkster

Although TBH the Lamb & Flag by Covent Garden was a nice boozer if I was in the area. (thanks to CFH for poiinting that one out to me)

brooess
    Free Member

Ex-Londoner, now trying to move back, turns out I miss it.

I left a couple of years ago because I thought I was tired of London. Turns out I was wrong and am very happy I came back…

best thing about London for me is the positive, dig-in-and-get-on-with-it attitude. We didn’t change our lives after 9/11, neither did we after 7/7. Right now you wouldn’t know there’s an economic crisis. And I don’t think that’s some kind of god-given thing. London’s full of people who chose to be here, so tend to make the best of it.
    And the whole ‘too many people’ thing means I love being in the countryside at the weekend – the contrast is massive and very theraputic, more so than if I lived in the sticks in the first place

kimbers

Stoner
    Lunchtime walk in the sun around covent garden in Black Iridium shades…

naughty boy!

for me
    Nightlife -the clubbing- well, torture garden , antichrist and all the other stuff thats randomly going on after dark, gigs, stand up, new bars

teasel
    Free Member

Going back a few years – a melted brie and bacon baguette from a little cafe at the top of Chancery Lane. Good way to start the day…

PiknMix
    Free Member

going home 🙂

hate the place except for Upton Park 🙂

binners

The best thing about London is not living there – I’m not saying that in sneery way, but the people who live there seem to mostly miss out on all the best things about London that are right under their nose.

Agreed on that. I always turn up at my sisters in London, with a list of exhibitions I want to go and see. She never bothers with owt like that, and neither do any of her mates. Yet when I mention whats on, they all say “oh that sounds interesting. In its own way, I find it, and its inhabitants, really parochial.

I love strolling down the South Bank on a sunny day to the Tate

teasel
    Free Member

Oh…how could I forget the assertive driving. Fearful and unforgiving if you don’t belong… 🙂

40mpg

I’m a visitor, mostly for work, sometimes a couple of times a week but never get bored of it, in fact it gives me a little bit of excitement!

– The constant buzz of activity and things getting done
    – Pretty women
    – All the history in everything, road names, buildings, you name it
    – Walking round looking at the above (I tend to walk most places just to take all this in)
    – Getting taken to interesting cafe’s, pubs, bars by locals
    – Pretty women
    – All the diversity – people, language, accents, fashion
    – Pretty women

SaxonRider

The intricacy of the streets and the fact that wherever you look, there is layer upon layer of history. That, and the monumental architecture. There are only a few cities on earth that speak of ‘forever’ the way London does.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I love London. Wouldn’t want to live there again but I wouldn’t wang to be too far away by train either.
    What do I like about it best? Well, the fact that ANYTHING (legal) goes. You can do what you like when you like. Dress how you like, whatever, and nobody is fazed by it. I love the history of the place. I love the buildings, pretty much everything really.
    Sydney bored me rigid within 48hrs.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The odd things/people that cause hardly a raised eyebrow.
    The ability to get anything at short notice.
    The fact that it’s very existence is a constant annoyance to northereners/sweatys/small minded provincial people
    The ability to make the above mentioned people wander round with strange wide eyed half smile confused expressions on their faces while wearing outdated denim/sportswear and standing on the wrong side of escalators or blocking the pavement.
    The food/drink and the variety available
    More good coffee available per square mile than anywhere else in the country (especially near where I work)
    Less obese people wobbling around (first thing I notice when visiting other parts of the country is the fatties)

Jerome
    Free Member

Work there once a week,and visit once a month or so.
    The Tate modern for me, after a few beers of course.
    We are off weekend after next for traditional Xmas walk around Hampstead, then cinema and beers.
    Cool place, but I am happy to get back onto train to Brighton.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) it’s only 2hours away when i want to go there, i can be in the centre of london before some of my friends who claim to live there.

(living inside the M25 does not count as living in london – imho)

2) it’s a world away most of the time.

iain1775
    Free Member

M1 northbound

ericemel
    Free Member

The fact I have had a 10% price increase on my flat this year in Wimbledon – another step closer to my Country House!

nedrapier

agree with a lot of the above, bar the haterz.

in addition, Hampstead Heath, my flat, the bucket-load of friends I have around the place, near and far, that means there’s always someone coming up with ideas for things do (including trips away from London) and there’s always someone to say “why-not?” to mine.

We’re not going to stay forever but, for now, I’m enjoying it very much indeed.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

dinae miss the place, nice to visit on occasions, but as a way o life –no ta–

binners

The fact that it’s very existence is a constant annoyance to northereners/sweatys/small minded provincial people
    The ability to make the above mentioned people wander round with strange wide eyed half smile confused expressions on their faces while wearing outdated denim/sportswear and standing on the wrong side of escalators or blocking the pavement.

I like the fact it keeps the more snotty, superior, self-absorbed, condescending and patronising members of our society all concentrated together in one place. The rest of the country really do owe you one for that 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

I like the fact there are less ‘biters’ there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In one binners.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And to avoid editing was great fun popping into booths in media city Manchester to see how the refugees of the BBC were surviving

MrSmith
    Free Member

I thought I was right but it’s nice to have it confirmed 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘What's your favorite thing about London?’ is closed to new replies.