Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What's your catalyst/justification for a new bike?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Back in the day I used to spend loads on bikes and bits.
    If I had one for 2 years I was doing well – mortgages, bills and day to day stuff slowed that right down.

I’ve had my current Commecal Meta 5.5 XT since April 2009 (not cracked yet!)
    It’s been/is a great bike. 30lbs-ish, full XT, Hope/DT Swiss wheels, Maxle Revs 150mm, RP3 shock, Thomspn/Easton carbon bars…gets me up, down & across just fine. Some would say the 26″ wheels and 3×9 groupset are ‘old skool’ but they do the job as well as they ever did.

So why am I getting my head turned by the thought of changing it?

I’d have to pay well over £3k to get kit that’s no better than I’ve got but with newer ‘standards’.
    I’d go 27.5 NOT 29.

Thinking of getting a Reverb and MAYBE a new paintjob to get that new bike feeling but at a fraction of the cost.

Is this folly?
    At what point do you guys think ‘sod this for a game of soldiers, I’m going to purchase myself I nice new shiny bicyclette!’? 😀

scotroutes

I had a Meta 5 of about that vintage. Great bike. I often miss it but I don’t do much of that kind of riding these days so I have bikes That are more appropriate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not a rational thing, I just gradually convince myself over a period of a few weeks. My latest idea is to sell the soul and pugsley and get a canyon 29er FS, as I don’t think I’m as fussed on HT’s as I used to be.

rascal
    Free Member

Mine’s actually a 2008 not 2009 which is probably why it’s not in bits 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Nobeer – that’s one of the culprits – a Strive – probably too much bike but a bloody beauty!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s because of the constant pressure of new and shiny of course, plus curiosity as to whether all those new things really do make a difference, which of course, most of them do, but it’s nearly all minute incremental gains.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

once the idea is in my head, it won’t go,

nothing new for +12 months now after being a serial swapper

AD

Normally when I break the current one… 🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

I’m having exactly the same thoughts.
    I’ve got an 09 yeti 575 but I spend every minute looking at shiny new bikes. My bike does everything I need it to but I keep telling myself I need bolt through axles to make it stiffer, and more bulky headset etc.
    I think it’s just nice having a change sometimes?
    The problem comes when you’ve bought a new bike and still can’t bring yourself to sell the old one to fund it.

benji
    Free Member

Think it’s called marketing and consumerism. We all own perfectly good bikes most of the time, but we don’t want to be left behind in the arms race. How often do we actually wear out equipment compared to spares and parts becoming obsolete?

I’m guilty, fancied a new road bike, went out and just bought one, nothing really wrong with the old one, just liked how the new one looked.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Easy

Do I want a new bike?
    Do I have the money for a new bike?
    Do I think I can get away without causing too much domestic friction if I get a new bike?

If the answer to all three is yes, then I get a new bike

Kryton57

If the answer to all three the first one is yes, then I get a new bike

😀

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m ordering a new bike this week (Canyon Nerve 120mm),my justification being
    A) I’ve had it since 2007 & it’s getting tired
    B) Something with a slacker head angle & a bit more travel would be more fun at the trail centres.
    C) The mortgage is paid & I’m not getting any younger.
    I’m not to smug about my as new stans tubeless 26″ wheels becoming redundant..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Usually its just a change, none of my ‘new’ bikes have ever been a straight swap apart from a Swift/El Marichi as it was a different size.

Newest is a Fatty, reckon it’ll be doing a lot of miles this year!

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been able to use the arrival of a substantial windfall as justification for new toys, and I can’t see that changing any time soon

bikebouy
    Free Member

DOn’t normally have to justify, just tend to get a feeling of what I want and then go buy it.

Fell in love with the TCX Advanced that I bought in the late Spring and love it even more now… Felt like I wanted a CX’er, so bought the best I could find.

Quite simple really.

The Roadie, well I had been lusting after a new Roadie for a couple of years but couldn’t pull myself away from my Parlee, but then I happened across an R5CA in Condor and something came over me all giddylike.. I tried not to think about it but for a month or so it just kept popping into my head, so that came late Spring too.

Been a bit indulgent this year but it’s been a little while coming so I’m happier now and I guess these two fellas will be with me for a good few years to come..

So I guess I lust, then let it all settle, wait until I can’t wait any longer then go buy the bloody thing. It’s like I almost punish myself for waiting to see if it’s really what I want…

I am the same with most things in life 😆

badnewz
    Free Member

In a similar position to Bustaspoke above. My stumpjumper is c.2006 and the repairs/maintenance is starting to add up.
    Chain Reaction has a great deal on a Kona full suss but in two minds as not sure I need that much bike for my local trails.
    Decisions…

dannyh
    Free Member

My only justification (so far) for getting a new bike is snapping the previous one.

Mind you, if you are offloading the meta, I’d make you an offer! I quite liked it when I rode it……….

rascal
    Free Member

Good news – the wife is on board with the idea but mentioned a very valid point.
    As I tore my Achilles in June and haven’t ridden much in the last 6 months of 2014, it’s a good idea to see how I progress in 2015 before committing funds to a new one. My riding style (I have no ‘style’ as such) might have to change and that might dictate what bike I go for…I’ll try and get back to where I was and reassess in 3 months or so. Loving the Canyon Strive – allbeit without doing much research! Can anyone match Canyon VFM-wise?
    Danny – if you’re genuinely interested email/text me with your offer – would you still be interested in 3 months?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

My justification for upgrading my 4 yr old Allez road bike is different than the MTB upgrade.There’s a hill climb around here that when I’m fit takes me just over 9 minutes.If I can get up it in 8mins or less on 3 separate occasions then & ONLY THEN can I reward myself with a newroadbike

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.
    I think the marketing bullshitters might be starting to convince me that 27.5 is the future 😕
    Whilst I’m perfectly happy with 26 I wonder at what point spares might be difficult to get hold of – I know it’s probably been covered a million times so don’t wanna go over old ground – does anyone else riding 26 have similar thoughts? If I don’t change the bike soon (I’m in a position financially now where I can due to a personal tragedy) I don’t know when I will – if it’s 2 years down the line the bike will be 8 years old.
    If I keep it I want to spend some money on it – like a dropper post. Everyone seems to be going 1 x10 with NW ring – are there any genuinely noticeable benefits over 3 x 9? I’ve also considered going for a bolt-through set up at the back be changing drop-outs (Hope hub so doable) – and a new colour would also be a possibility.
    Sorry for the rambling nature of this post but in a real quandry!

takisawa2

Well timed post this.
    Currently looking at a Five, or Whyte T-130s.

Justification…
    Well, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t follow football etc, in fact I don’t do much that costs money/time..
    In fact everything I do is for the family. (Or the Beaver Scout group I run).

Also, the Wife will kill me one day anyway, so only bringing forward the inevitable. 🙂

grobin13
    Free Member

My justification is having my 2 bikes stolen before Christmas and so when the insurance company finally pays out I can spend spend spend….

cookeaa

Much as I would love to buy new and shiny toys at the drop of a hat Is can’t anymore. So hard rationalisation kicks in my 26″ HT works for me so it stays my DH bike is under used so I think it will be going to fund something a bit more all purpose but I am sticking to 26″ and used kit, does a bike have to be new or just new to you?

I plan to wring the last drop of bargain bin fun out of “old school” 26ers and then one the hips and knees really start to go jack them all in for waggon wheels.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Don’t drink/smoke and beyond the kids and missus have little commitments, so basically boils down to whether I want it or not (although I don’t rush in as much anymore!). Paid for in cash or Credit card (when being impatient!) and settled each month.

Don’t have a huge fleet of bikes though. 1 MTB and 1 road/commuter so less maintenance costs throughout year. Currently building up a FS and the HT will go afterwards. Done the multi bike thing and tended to always ride one anyway so don’t bother now.

Trekster

Nothing to do with wheel size, just so happens most new bikes come with wheels larger than my 10yr old Kona and I took a liking to one in my lbs.
    That’s nbr1 & 2.
    Nbr 3 was when I was sitting in A&E with my dad for the 3rd time recently :|. I just thought f()! it life’s too short and I’m fast approaching the other end 😀
    Gave Kona to son along with a road bike, he fancies doing some duathalon’s. Also bought daughter an old commuter bike which is like new that allows her to get out with her wee man.

cliffyc
    Free Member

SHINYTHINGMAKECLIFFYCHAPPY,in a word…. . 😀

RustySpanner

My reasons to buy a new bike:

1. The old one has been stolen.
    2. Look – a shiny new bike!
    3. It would cost more to repair it than buy a new one I’d enjoy just as much.
    4. I can’t get the bits to fix it.

In that order.

rascal – Member

Whilst I’m perfectly happy with 26 I wonder at what point spares might be difficult to get hold of – I know it’s probably been covered a million times so don’t wanna go over old ground – does anyone else riding 26 have similar thoughts?

Being optimistic, I’d like to think we’ll be able to get rims and tyres for a few years – it simply doesn’t make sense economically for the manufacturers not to provide them.
    I think we’re screwed on straight steerer forks though.

Being realistic, I think the manufacturers are delighted at how gullible the public have been in their rush to embrace 650B and will drop support as soon as they possibly can.

plus-one

I don’t bother with trying to justify it now if I can afford one I’ll buy one..

You only get one life why spend it miserable not having things that make you smile 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What's your catalyst/justification for a new bike?’ is closed to new replies.