Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • What's your biggest frustration about owning a 29er?
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

Just a bit of quick a poll really – to see what are your biggest frustrations are if you are a 29er owner? i.e. what parts are hard, expensive or difficult to get hold of etc…..

ton

they make you want to own another 26r.

they are not as much fun on really rough terrain.

and they make you pretend that you have the best bike ever……..when really you have not (it is just that you are loathe to admit it aint so when you spent so much on it). 8)

daveells
    Free Member

Which one to ride 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

people asking why you ride a 29er

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Can’t think of one TBH.

coastkid
    Free Member

agree with fontmoss…
    none at all for me except forks cost about £100 plus more per model available as do tyres at about £5-£10 each,
    and if you swap the build over from a 26″ er then you may find a 22T 32R lowest gear aint quite low enough north of the border…a 34t should be better but the new 36t shimano should be ideal… 😮
    there good for wheelies 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Other 29er riders who think they (and you) are somehow special and clever or worse yet trendy and niche because they have a 29er

RealMan
    Free Member

Having to tell your parents you’re gay.

IGMC.

Clink

My only gripe is that Merlin don’t do 29er bits!!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

nowt, cos when i ride mine, i know that i’m riding something better than a 26″ wheeled bike

😈

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

you ain’t riding it proper…

gee
    Free Member

Having to always remember to take spare tyres and tubes with me when I go anywhere for a riding holiday.

That and all the bollocks that gets pedalled about them in magazines – see MBUK this month for example. A list of pros and cons of 29ers, presumably written by someone who’s not ridden a 29er for more than a couple of rides and who has just rehashed all the classic stereotypes… Grr….

GB

TooTall
    Free Member

Wrong bike then.

Some people seem to think I have to justify it. My only justification is ‘that is a 23″ frame and it is so in proportion, you didn’t even know it was a 29er’. 😮

singlecrack
    Free Member

The jealous little digs from 26″ owners 😛

boxelder

Decent wheels aren’t available cheaply.
    Ton – you forgot to type I instead of You.

Ruts are more of a pain, but thankfully I mostly left those in the Peak when we moved north.

markenduro
    Free Member

it takes longer to pump the tyres up

Blacklug
    Free Member

29ers just seem to be the new singlespeeds for the attention seeking mountain biker. Well, the slower riding attention seeking mountain bikers anyways.

bassspine
    Free Member

don’t you have to have a moustache?

(wierdy beard singlespeed => lipbrow 29er)

ton

boxelder………….it should have been we 😉

gee
    Free Member

Slower riders? Hahaha. Mine’s never been off the podium! See Steve Webb and several top pros these days for more examples…

grumm
    Free Member

Knowing deep down that the only reason you have one is an aching desire to try and prove how different and individual you are – yet realising that ultimately it simply reveals an even more emotionally stilted kind of conformity?

😉

tazzymtb

rubber choice is a bit limited for my anorak tyre nerd needs*, but the schwalbe 29er rocket rons and nobby nics for next year will sort me out nicely.

erm……

oh yeh and all the try hards vs 29er hater bollox. It’s a bike and riding bikes is fun. If it’s not or you are worrying about what others are doing you need a new past time at least to change your mindset. 🙂

*anyone want some 29er 2.35 rampages used once. I didn’t like em so they’re up for barter for beer or cake

gee
    Free Member

Tazzy – are they still only doing the Rons and Ralphs in a 2.25? When will they do a 2.1!

coastkid
    Free Member

very true tazzymtb
    i ride with guys every week who arnt really interested about what size wheels i or they ride…or make of bike for that matter…but we ride bikes as friends and enjoy the trails… 😮

Rorschach
    Free Member

people convinced that the defining quality of a bike is determined by wheel diameter.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Not owning one, if that makes sense

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Ok…. So I can see that the ‘frustrations’ are mainly vanity/verbal/image etc. but the reason I ask is that I am able to get my hands on various parts for 29er’s, many of which are not available in the UK – so I am trying to decide which parts to start with, therefore perhaps the question should be – what parts would you want to be able to get hold of easier for your 29er?

tazzymtb

gee- I read a review of pre production tyres (twentynine inches I think) that says the 2011’s are going to be tubeless ready rather than UST or standard and in new sizes, 2.1 and 2.3 rather than 2.25 and 2.4 so fingers crossed that they’ll actually deliver.

29er 2.1 rons would be ace (oooooo, 520 grams for the 29er ron , I’m getting all excitable !!)

tazzymtb

what parts would you want to be able to get hold of easier for your 29er?

that’s easy

FORKS- decent 29er forks at a fair price are as rare as rocking horse poo!

john_l
    Free Member

Other than a fork, what else would you spec differently that’s difficult to hold of?

O
    Free Member

What’s your biggest frustration about owning a 29er?

Swooning women and 29er-curious blokes pestering you.

tazzymtb

with advent of bigger travel/all mountain 29er’s coming into the uk probably 36T 29er specific shimano cassettes

bland

Without reading the rest of the posts i suspect it would be the P1ss take

coastkid
    Free Member

36T shimano cassettes are on ebay (pratical cycles) and i think Mark at the Bikechain has them…or getting them…

tazzymtb

ltheisinger- looks like there’s not that much that isn’t already available with a wee bit of hunting around really 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

ltheisinger- looks like there’s not that much that isn’t already available with a wee bit of hunting around really

but it would be nice to get them at a reasonable price I would assume, because from what I can tell the prices seem inflated?

tazzymtb

ahhh well if you can bits at a decent price then we’ll all love you 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

ahhh well if you can bits at a decent price then we’ll all love you

I’ll do my best! 🙂 hence why I trying to find out what parts you guys would want the most, i.e. just difficult to get hold of or hard to come by at a decent price?

tazzymtb

actually fork spares, lowers etc with bolt through axles for fox and rockshox so that folks can upgrade existing forks to a bolt through.

Also opens up the frankenfork buildability nicely 😆

the lack of decent available 29er forks means that I’m on tazzshox version 3 made with a mix of revelation u-turns, reba 29er bits and I may build a set using pike coil uppers for my twatting about bike

Rorschach
    Free Member

All the decent production fs 29ers (anthem,epic,superfly) are about 25% more expensive than an identically specced 26″…gggrrrrrrrr.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘What's your biggest frustration about owning a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.