Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Whats your best solution for cleaning the inside of your car windscreen?
  • dickie
    Free Member

No matter how much I clean the inside of my windscreen it never appears properly clean – whats your best method?

Onzadog
    Free Member

IPA when I do mine. The lack of any residue means it demists quicker as well.

BadlyWiredDog

I rub the inside with half a raw onion. It’s a traditional solution but it doesn’t actually work.

qwerty
    Free Member

Glass cleaner & blue roll paper.

cp

Vinegar diluted in water, then use scrunched up old news paper sheets damped in solution to clean windscreen.

Then scrunched up news paper to dry.

Old wives trick but works a treat

ulysse
    Free Member

Pink windowlene

paladin

vinegar and newspaper. smells great!

Onzadog – Member
    IPA when I do mine

india pale ale?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A bit of Fairy liquid is used on the inside of the motorbike visor, I’m not sure that’d work on the car so for this I use Eastern Europeans.

maccruiskeen

Newspaper and elbow grease. Good light to work in so you can see what you’re achieving too. Clean the outside of the screen too.

stumpy01

Mr Muscle glass cleaner, kitchen roll and a lot of rubbing…

ulysse
    Free Member

Fine wire wool or scotch Brite for the outside

CountZero

Have a polite word with the bar staff in your favourite pub and ask if you could scrounge a couple of bar towels.
    I’ve got a couple, one I actually picked up in the street that someone had clearly dropped after leaving the nearby pub; gave it a good wash and I keep it with me in my bag for scrubbing the inside of the screen on cars I pick up, some of them are filthy, and the towelling seems to work pretty well without any additional liquid.
    There’s a limit to what I can carry with me every day, but a bar towel rolls up really small and tucks into a corner out of the way.
    A cheap spray bottle of screen cleaner from a pound shop will work as well as anything else if some help is needed.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Megs Glass Cleaner, nice and shiny and disappears like magic rather than streaking

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

andy4d

I prefer the autoglym glass polish. Wipe on, let it dry for a minute then just wipe it off. Great results every time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kitchen cleaner and a cloth to strip off the grease, then glass cleaner and blue towel.

Change the pollen/odour/cabin filter as well, makes a noticeable difference to how quickly it gets filthy again, especially if you dona lot of driving on busy roads.

oink1
    Free Member

Meths (?) The purple stuff. Works a treat 🙂

Daffy

Fast Glass for me too. Have tried several but Fast Glass and a decent MF cloth works perfectly.

teasel
    Free Member

Although what liquid you use will determine if it’ll smear or not the quality of finish is down to technique. Small circular areas lightly wetted and dried immediately with the chaser cloth.

I use cheap 75p glass cleaner with vinegar from just about anywhere and clean it in direct sunlight with the above technique.

hora
    Free Member

A T-shirt off the passenger seat and muttering alot

globalti
    Free Member

I used to work valeting cars. The grey film that appears on the insides of the windows is plasticiser film, the last problem that motor industry hasn’t succeeded in solving. The plasticiser evaporates out of the vinyls inside the car and re-settles on everything.

DO NOT use Windowlene cream, it works well but get a drop on your dashboard and you’ll never get it off. Best solution is a slightly damp microfibre cloth or towel. Park the car so that the sun is shining on the windscreen but your view is of something dark like foliage and you’ll be able to see the grey film clearly. It does reappear quite soon after you’ve cleaned it off; I keep a cloth in the car and give it a wipe whenever there’s a bit of damp inside the car such as first thing in the morning.

rone

Fast Glass and a couple of freshly laundered microfibres. Do it once with one towel and then again with the other.

Tinners

Nilglass (get it from Lakeland or, now, B&Q as well). I suspect it’s little more than a vinegar solution, but spray on, then use a freshly laundered microfibre (no conditioner) to rub it in, then use a second dry microfibre and rub until it dries to a squeak. Fantastic result but it’s hard to manouvre your arm to rub it comfortably on the front windscreen without pulling a muscle. I’ve never used the Autoglym product, so no idea whether that’s easier, although the results with Nilglass could’t be better IMO.
    If you’re ultra pernickety, I’m told that paper contains silica and can leave tiny scratches and swirls over time, which can pick up light and contribute to subtle hazing at night, if you do it a lot (one of the reasons you shouldn’t clean spectacles with tissue apparently). I’ve no idea whether this is true or not but suspect that the scratches on the outer surface would render any internal scratches irrelevant?

globalti
    Free Member

If you can find a way of getting a coating of carnauba wax on the glass by spraying something like Mr Sheen on it without getting any on the dashboard, the rubbing job is much easier as the wax helps the cloth to slip. The wax doesn’t make the windscreen smeary.

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve not had the best results with AG fast glass. Applying and buffing with MF cloths. Still leaves marks.

I’ve had best results going over with a slightly damp MF cloth.

Gave it a go with IPA on blue roll this morning. Dull day so will have to wait and see how that looks driving into a setting sun.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve used alsorts over the years from fast glass to megs etc

Recently tried some of the nilglass stuff mentioned above. £5 for 2 litres in b and q and it’s the easiest to use and gives really good results.

WTF
    Free Member

A second for the Fast Glass

iainc

Windowlene wipe works fine here

RustyNissanPrairie

The ‘fog’ is from the formation of unwanted 13ring cyclic esters produced when polyester polyols are used in the manufacture of polyurethane foams that are then flame laminated to head linings/seating /door cards/ etc etc.

‘low fog’ polyols are available which stop this but not all automotive manufactures spec them.

What car do you own?

Im chief engineer tinkerer for a large automotive PU manufacturer and an absolute blast at dinner parties…….

CountZero

The ‘fog’ is from the formation of unwanted 13ring cyclic esters produced when polyester polyols are used in the manufacture of polyurethane foams that are then flame laminated to head linings/seating /door cards/ etc etc.

That’s easy for you to say!

Im chief engineer tinkerer for a large automotive PU manufacturer and an absolute blast at dinner parties…

philb88
    Free Member

Got given a bottle of this, seems to work pretty well. Smells nice too

P-Jay
    Free Member

We used to use pretty much any kind of spray on cleaner and news paper when I worked for a hire fleet. I’ve never found any type of cloth or paper towel that works as well as newspaper.

gears_suck
    Free Member

A small amount of meths and a microfibre cloth. Stinks for a bit and not encouraged with the doors closed but gets all trace of smears away.
    Edit: I have found that any cloth used which has been washed and dried using fabric softener complicates the anti smear aspect.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just good old newspaper. Perfect. Anything else is just complicated for the sake of it.
    Having said that something liquid helps to loosen the snot(sneeze) blobs.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use a cloth.

Xylene
    Free Member

I always find an Angora rabbit works well for screen cleaning.

trademark
    Free Member

Are dashboard wipes any good for removing the plasticizer to prevent build-up again?

ourmaninthenorth

I just use Halfords screen cleaner.

The trick is in the technique:

1. Spray onto microfibre cloth A and rub the screen vigorously.
    2. Buff with microfibre cloth B.

Just like the two bucket method for the outside of the car,this avoids smearing the dirt around the screen.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Whats your best solution for cleaning the inside of your car windscreen?’ is closed to new replies.