Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • whats your best excuse for not riding scary bits?
  • gsp1984
    Free Member

I use my ankle as an excuse sometimes, although it genuinely kills, need to see a doctor about it.

Can’t put what excuses I hear incase I cause offence in the group I ride with, we hear them all… Serial workmen blaming their tools for climbs, DH, jumps and drop offs… It’s comical.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I cant believe people are still complaining about the Werewolf Drop being too hard. I have only seen one person not do it and he is a full on big girls blouse. I would honestly give it a go on a road bike while in the drops. and yes I mean a road bike not a CX bike.

As for excuses I usually go for:
    ‘**** that, I need some more peer pressure to even give that a go. If somebody else went first I would definitely do it.’

Problem with that is it only works when you are with certain people so sometimes I end up having to give things a go. Flipside is that is what I wanted to do but was to scared to try.

hora
    Free Member

Can you imagine the other riders having a wip-round to pay your mortgage and bills whilst you are on sick leave?

BruceWee

“Well, I dunno. My knee was feeling a bit dodgy when I woke up this morning. Should be fine but I’m not sure if I want to risk it, especially since I’m still getting over the sprained wrist from that big stack last week. Also, did you hear the rain last night? It sounded really heavy so the landing’s probably a bit greasy and I’m on my Nevegals not the High Rollers. Another thing is that I always feel happier doing drops on my hardtail for some reason, I knew I should have brought it out today….”

I can normally keep going like this for at least 10 minutes or until everyone else has ridden on, then I wait a couple of minutes before catching up and saying excitedly, “Hey, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be”.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I cant believe people are still complaining about the Werewolf Drop being too hard.

I took a non MTB round the monkey and dog on a rigid hybrid on skinny tyres, he didn’t even flinch at the werewolf despite 5mm of movement in his headset. He is mental on a motorbike too though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A simple f that suffices. I ride bikes for fun not to prove my manliness.

porter_jamie

seat clamp is stuck, can’t let the seat down

rocketman
    Free Member

“Too nice an afternoon/day/evening to spend in a&e”

Clink

“I’m crap”

ditto 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not using the recommended tyres for here.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m an old woman, I’m allowed to walk down 😀

hora
    Free Member

Not so long ago I was pushing up in the Peaks when a group of middle-aged men were walking their bikes down. I really did struggle not to grin/laugh! All of them had a wee excuse and grin 😆

rOcKeTdOg

‘i only have 26″ wheels, i’d need a 29gnar for that

cakefacesmallblock

‘Cos I’m not. Right ?

hora
    Free Member

Its nice when Stopa isn’t there to harangue and heckle you the whole way down it 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A friend once said of a local jump line…

‘I can’t ride that as I’ve just had a message from the Mrs and she’s locked out the house so I’ve got to go’

30 mins later he was still stood there watching people ride the line.

hora
    Free Member

‘I’ve got a hangover’ 😆

Scamper
    Free Member

This weekend i used all of these on one ride, i kid you not;

“my seat post was too high”

“its ok for you on your skills compensator full susser”

“with those kids watching it would have been tempting fate”

“my new brakes are very on/off with a poor factory bleed”

“i’m hungover”

“i take less risks now with a 9 week old at home”

“takes a while to adjust to different riding conditions doesn’t it?”

“i’d stopped anyway, and it would have been difficult to get going over that techy bit”.

For ****, sake.

hora
    Free Member

i take less risks now with a 9 week old at home”

😆

but true!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’ve lost my mojo, (fact is I’ve never found it) 😆

wwaswas

“i take less risks now with a 9 week old at home”

I broke my hip when my daughter was 9 weeks old, at the local jump spot.

that was a tricky call home…

Bregante

“no way I’m riding that with this head angle”

hora
    Free Member

My headtube is too long 😉

lardcore
    Free Member

The “Werewolf” drop? Really? This one?

The most inappropriately named ‘feature’ in MTB?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Is that the “werewolf drop”.

I had to watch it again to see it. 😆

noteeth
    Free Member

Valves/logos not properly aligned.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve heard my self say it:
    “I’m on the wrong bike”.
    Knowing full well I wouldn’t do it on a bleedin Session 88.
    Also, about the same drop –
    “There’s no point going down there, you have to walk back up again” 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

“It’s a trap!”

[/Admiral Ackbar]

transapp
    Free Member

I’ll be fair, that werewolf drop does look a bit steeper from the top, and it’s quite a narrow entry into it.
    However, I rode it without ever seeing it before with a shoulder that I had dislocated twice and broken once – earlier that day. Not going to say it didn’t hurt (I think I cried a bit) but it was easy enough to roll down.

As far as excuses go, ‘I’m training for a race, and I’m in with a shout. I can’t undo this work’ seems to ring a bell….

aracer
    Free Member

The “Werewolf” drop? Really? This one?

The most inappropriately named ‘feature’ in MTB?
    Ah, but have you ever ridden it under a full moon?

jedi

no excuses needed. just decide whether you can do or not then ride on 🙂

merlinshearer
    Free Member

I’m a pussy

Ambrose

I was about to ride a drop this w/e and bottled it on the lip, so stopped. Fortuitously a mate arrived at exactly that moment and called over to me. So I blamed him for wanting to have a chat (sorry Andy). But of course then I had to ride the drop, the first time I ever have too- and I was a bit chuffed with me for having done it. Go Ambrose, King of MincecoreLite!

TheSanityAssassin

Werewolf ‘drop’? Jeeez, reminds me of that little step at Llandegla (that’s no longer there) that that club had serious difficulty with. There’s a vid on youtube somewhere but I can’t for the life of me remember the club’s name.

Spin
    Free Member

“Not on the Fixie”

Northwind

First time we went to Kielder, I rode Dougie’s Day Off in the morning without too much drama, but then had to walk down it in the afternoon as I’d sobered up in the meantime.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I just cleaned my bike this morning and don’t want to get blood on it

splashdown
    Free Member

“What!…..ride that…..with my piles?”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Some days stuff scares me and other days I barely notice it. Some days everything looks steep and others it looks small. I try not to beat myself up about it because life is too short for self induced misery. I just make a mental note of the blockers and then one day it just happens. I’m patient.

fisha
    Free Member

for me, i think its just a case of wanting to get home at the end of the day in one piece.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘whats your best excuse for not riding scary bits?’ is closed to new replies.