Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Whats your all time favorite UK route/trail/trail centre and why?
  • thv3
    Free Member

Looking for something new, so can be a trail centre, epic, pootle whatever, wherever.

Photo's optional.

Go on, inspire me!

Of the ones I've tried (which isn't many) including….

Llandegla
    Coed-Y-Brenin
    Cannock (years ago)
    Mates have been to Sherwood Pines, Afan & Dalby, but don't rate any of them

It has to be (if you can count it as a trail centre) Fort William

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Something involving Grizedale, Parkamoor & Ickenthwaite etc. because I dont really ride many other places and I started riding bikes there and Ive had some good bike rides there blah blah, plus I dont get bored of it

timc
    Free Member

kirroughtree, because its fun all the way round & fun any time of year!

thv3
    Free Member

I think I have to agree with Kirroughtree for a trail centre.

Swoopy, fast, technical and could spend all day there.

Some of the hidden trails at GT are good, but KT is still my favorite trail centre.

jedi

herts shore for me. every challenge i like on a trail in one place 🙂

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The Hope Valley Loop in the Dark Peak, between Manchester and Sheffield.

The most fun, scenic ride I've done anywhere in the UK. The final descent into Hope is a flat out blast and the Beast (mental rocky decent) is only a slight detour and a push back up. It can be linked into a bunch of other amazing natural trails around the Ladybower resevoir area. Theres a very good guide book called Dark Peak mountain biking.

So many amazing trails, its beyond me why so many people from the area flock to trails like LLandegla that do half the riding for you when this is on our door step. If your not local, make the trip…the Peak District has the best riding in England

Northwind

Glentress, for me. No, hear me out! It doesn't have the best route, it just has lots of varied riding. I've had better days at other places, but I've never ridden anywhere else with the variety and volume of quality riding Glentress has. Even bits of the blue are brilliant and it's got some classic descents, some jumps, some rocks, some roots, and some secrets. All I need for days of riding where most places can provide 1 or 2.

Nevis Range comes in second probably, I do like the uplift.

Leighgregory
    Free Member

I had an amazing time in the Peaks… We did the Kinder circuit. You can see my first ever blog about the route we did if your interested!

http://leighgregory.blogspot.com/

For Trail centres I LOVE afan… Whites for a short blast or W2 / Skyline for a longer ride!!!

alex222
    Free Member

for a trail centre it has to be stainburn, cos there no caffe and not many people and its technical, well the black is. the red is fast and fun. Something involving cut gate, hag farm, win hill, rushup edge, cavedale and the bridal way from hollins cross down to castleton. although that would be a massive epic to get all of that in.

grumm
    Free Member

At the moment my favourite trail centre is Laggan, and my favourite descent is Ben Lomond – but I may be a little biased having done them recently after barely riding for ages.

Laggan for me is just a perfect mix of some techy bits with nice fast flowing sections, jumps, drop offs and great scenery. Also the climb feels very gentle and pleasant and you seem to get to descend for ages in return.

Ben Lomond is a massive push up but a fantastic long techy descent.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Hope – langsett out and back – epic day with all the best peak bits in 🙂

ben
    Free Member

Trail wise it would be something in the Lakes, probably including Walna Scar, though you've got to try quite hard to find bad trails in the lakes.

As for trail centres, it's got to be Kirroughtree for me.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Exmoor. I've never ridden anything better in the UK.
    Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of trail centre action too, but there are bridleways on Exmoor that are gnarled and rocky and rooty, and fast, and some of them you would struggle to get a horse down 🙂
    They tend to, ahem, focus your attention too.

Particularly love the over-in-two-minutes-but-brilliant descent through Worthy Wood to Porlock Weir

crazy-legs

Trail centre: the final 2 miles of singletrack descent at Kirroughtree.

"Natural": it'd be a toss-up between Borrowdale Bash/Tour of Skiddaw combined as a figure-of-8 loop centred on Keswick or the Ambleside Classic loop (multiple variants on that one but all good) finishing on Loughrigg Terrace descent into Ambleside on a summer evening.

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the riding I did on the Quantocks. Lots of short trails tho – but very good. Perhaps the best amount of trails in a small area

I love the Beinn a Ghlo circuit – for the wild remote feel.

The northern end of the lairig grhu is perhaps the single best bit of trail

I agree with northwind above – Glentress is a fantastic facility with so much so easily available

sambob
    Free Member

Middle moor is my favourite section of trail anywhere, SO fast, but not easy. trail centre, probably the beast at C-Y-B.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not my favourite, but very fun and worthwhile:

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I much prefer natural stuff and haven't been to many trail centres but I thought Mabie was really nice. It's probably the trail centre that's come closest so far to the sort of thing I like.

jam-bo

quantocks.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

ive only ridden the south wales centres but cwm rhaeder is awesome if your that way. Very short though.

Otherwise i quite like some of the stuff i've ridden around kingley vale which is natural stuff not trail centre. Some desceptively long descents and really hard climbs.

donsimon
    Free Member

There must be an "ism" for this, I am excluded as I have never ridden trails or trail centres in the UK!!! 😥

jordie
    Free Member

Tarfside north east scotland 1st
    G.T 2nd i just like it

MrOvershoot

For me the total trail centre stuff has to be Kirroughtree or is it Innerleithen ?

Mix of natural & Trail centre is Nant-y-Arian & for natural I still think the local to me Clwyds could never get boring. OK so I don't look really happy in this shot but it was hot 😉

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Balblair! the only people i know who have ridden there say its the best trail center loop they have ever done, and it really is ace.

Kirroughtee is quite good, although i prefer drumlanrig. Laggan is boring and easy. golspie is decent for a while and glentress is brilliant fun, but not the best. my local trails in strathpeffer and contin do it for me though, because i built a few of them, and because its where i learned to ride! (and spend so many hours training there every week!)

allyharp

My favourite trail centre used to be Laggan, but I'm tempted to say CwmCarm now as I was very impressed with the climb of all things!

I'm much more into natural stuff, but it's hard to pick a favourite. My favourite base would have to be Aviemore as there's just so much choice nearby.
    Glen Sligachan was pretty spectacular in an all round sense this year:

IMG_6485 by allyharp, on Flickr

And one ride I'd be most keen to do again is alongside Loch Morar, as I didn't have time to manage the full out-and-back route last time.

Moomin
    Free Member

Favourite trail centre is Kirroughtree as it has something going on all the way round.

Most challenging event to date is the Mary Townley Loop in the clockwise direction(think it was that way). Its on again in Sept.

Favourite route is in Peaks.

devs
    Free Member

Golspie, then Balblair then Laggan then Coed y Brenin then Nant yr arian. This is based purely on the riding and not the other facilities. The cafe at CyB gets on my tits though. Been 4 times now and the service is always slooooooooooow. Just noticed we can include natural trails too. Ok then Inshriach and CBM are up there in between Golspie and Balblair, as is Ben Rinnes. I liked the Peaks but the constant gate opening and shutting detracted from the experience. My local trails never fail to please me either and I would drive a couple of hours to ride them. Glad i don't have to!

LB18
    Free Member

Plenty of good natural riding in North Yorkshire – Nidderdale circuits north from Lofthouse and North York Moors Loops Kildale/Battersby Moor/ Baysdale Moor/Gt Hograth Moor (take a map) and Boltby/Black Hambleton/Hawnby.

Peak District – Ladybower circuits and Mam Tor/Hollins Cross area.

Not so keen on trail centres but the best so far have been – Kirroughtree, Laggan, Carron Valley (the end section) and Mabie.

grumm
    Free Member

Laggan is boring and easy.

😕

I know everyone has different tastes and everything but….. really?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Laggan possibly. Small but varied and perfectly formed.

Quantocks probably. Compact but with the most km of mid-graded singletrack. Nature's trail centre.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Whats your all time favorite UK route/trail/trail centre and why?’ is closed to new replies.