Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's wrong with this – superstar single ring on triple
  • digger95
    Free Member

Maybe everything is fine…but it looks back to front to me. I’ve gone for this as i thought the flat face should replace the middle ring to maintain the chainline. If this ring was on the outer it would sit on the tabs but as it is all the stress from pedalling will go on the threads…bad idea?
    Have I bought the wrong thing?
    If it goes where the big ring went how do I get the chainline back in?
    Its a 32t oval, 9speed on rear.
    Apologies if I should have found the answer in a previous thread.
    [/url][/img]

woodster

The ring is on the wrong way round. The spacers exist so that the chain clears the chainring tabs which it otherwise couldn’t do.

carlos
    Free Member

Can’t tell from the pic if you have spacers BUT my 32t narrow/wide by SS sits on the inside of the XT 4 arm spider, uses short chain ring bolts, no spacers and has the etched writing facing outward

hth

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

As woodster says – it’s in the right position but you need to flip it over so the built-in spacers on the ring space it inboard of the crank tabs.

volksman
    Free Member

you will die a horrid death if you leave it like that, its in the right place just flip it over.

andyb39
    Free Member

It needs flipping round but also rotating 90 degrees.
    There’s a small notch on the inside edge, between two of the bolt holes, that should be lined up with the crank arm.

Superficial
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s a 32t and not a 30? The holes appear to be threaded?

Either way it’s on back to front in your picture.
    Tip: if in doubt, for most products usually the graphics are visible when looking from the drive side of the bike.

Edit: never mind it’s oval so ignore the first comment.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Didn’t know superstar did oval – either way, it’s back to front

digger95
    Free Member

Ok thanks all – I’ll reverse it, rotate correctly and give it a whirl. I think superstar only introduced oval very recently, I was about to splash an Absolute Black.

Wally

Trying to be helpful,
    Look for the tab in the middle of one of the arms on the ring, this goes behind the crank arms. Same with all rings you might replace. It used to be a shifting alignment thing with triple, not so sure with I/O. Flip over, like everyone else said.

Just learnt that oval I/O need the tabs because at some sections they mimic 30t ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with this – superstar single ring on triple’ is closed to new replies.