Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What's wrong with this picture?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just looks.. I dunno.. meh… clicky for slightly bigger.

The quality isn't great either (Oly E600).

molgrips
    Free Member

And here's a detail pixel for pixel:

pk-ripper
    Free Member

nothing's happening in it. it's a good picture, but it's a bland picture.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm no expert, but it's short of something to really draw the eye I'd say, and the shadows aren't helping.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice pic. Well exposed. Nice subject. I'd be tempted to crop it tighter and get rid of the shady area on the left. My eye is drawn to it, and it's rather uniform left to right…. Make it lopsided? Dunno. Might work.

molgrips
    Free Member

The pic is just a stand and shoot snap, so I wasn't planning out out to be brilliant. The thing is the subject matter should be good but it's not as good as some of the other panoramas posted on here.

PP – cheers. It'a already fairly heavily cropped – there was a bunch of other nothing to the left that I binned.

Could be though that the very thing that makes it an amazing place to be (ie nothingness) makes it a dull shot…

KonaTC

No bikes 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit concerned about the image quality in the detail tho – that's a crop 1:1 directly from the RAW saved with highest JPEG settings.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hope you don't mind, but I've cropped it tighter, getting rid of the darkness on the left and the uninteresting foreground, and dropped the horizon in the frame, then touched the colour up a bit…

Where is that by the way? Looks lovely. Canada/USA Rockies?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Think that second is an improvement. Dont like the dark patch in the bottom right though. For me it takes the awe away from the giant mountain.

CountZero

As others said, nothing wrong as such, it's pretty sharp, exposure's fine, but like a lot of landscapes what looks great when you're there somehow looks uninspiring in a photo. I've taken pics like that, looked at them afterwards and though, 'oh, that's a bit…dull'. I think it's the time of day, the best landscapes tend to be, generally speaking, early morning or later in the evening to get more dramatic lighting, and having a good cloudscape helps enormously as well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To me, having the horizon dead centre as in the OP pic is a no-no, mainly. 2/3 sky, or 2/3 scenery, depending on which looks better/is the subject. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

wrong clouds.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm guessing the sunis to the left of the shot. It's giving the shadows to the left and right. Not a lot you can do about that to be fair, unless you wait all day for it to move, but with the sun more behind you that would have been a different shot alltogether methinks. It's amazing how much difference light makes…. I'm just starting to realise it myself! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

USA Rockies

Bingo. Rocky Mountain National Park in fact. I think the picture may reflect the location to be honest. The mountains are high, 14,000ft or so, but the valley floor is still like 10,000ft, so they end up not being that impressive when you're there. Slightly underwhelming. Plus there's no glaciers and stuff, the snow all melts. It was very cool indeed to actually be there, but you never really stood still and gawped at the incredibleness of it all, like I have in other places.

That sounds harsh tho.. it was beautiful still.

It is very much a random snap mind, not a considered effort.

Can anyone suggest if the detail I posted is to be expected for an entry level dslr?

elaineanne
    Free Member

no paragliders 😕 no light sprinkling od snow on the ground… no herds of wilderbeasts, no Bears ? No Bear Grylls ? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Give us a link to the full size, uncropped, pic, we can't really tell from that to be fair. 🙂

This is the sort of quality mine chucks out…..

I think these are cropped though, apart from the middle one.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2658683752_33cbdebc86_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2592622256_841f684a7e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2635301075_d115b4b293_o.jpg

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Molgrips, I LOVED the Rockies (Southern end) when we were in the States. This is Telluride, possibly the most scenic high street I've ever walked down, but at 9100ft, possibly the most exhausting too! You could feel the thin air just walking up that gentle slope!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No babbajangas.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not enough bottoms.

molgrips
    Free Member

There's the Rockies (thousands of miles of mountain chain), and there's Rocky Mountain national park which is one pretty small bit of upland!

As big as I can get it – flickr has resized it.

Another:

Bear – check

Lil Meggie

Other way up

A better pic

All un-cropped, and un-worked on. Bottom one is too dark 🙁

BontyBuns
    Free Member

the bottome one hurts my eyes

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I know.

Polarising filter seems to have screwed up the pictures somewhat overall.

john_drummer
    Free Member

these are just snapshots, uncropped; is there anything interesting I could do with them?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Love the water in the top one m8. few rock in the bottom of the shot that could be cropped.

john_drummer
    Free Member

it really is that colour – no filters or anything. Lake Louise, Alberta.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Those Coons are so cute!

molgrips
    Free Member

The lake shot should've had more mountain, less lake. Lake 1/3 of the way up I think.

And/or possibly taking it portrait.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I did do a couple portrait too. More here

GrahamS

John: not much help now, but if you're aiming to get that "nice mirror reflection in the lake" type shot then set it for the longest exposure you can, then set the camera on self-timer, put it down on the ground or somewhere steady and start the timer.

john_drummer
    Free Member

cheers Graham, that's good to know 🙂 I'll try that another time

It's a Sony A200 or something

CountZero

Some nice pics here. John, your lake pic, as pointed out, needs a bit less lake, a bit more mountain. The upper lefthand side is a bit distracting because the top's been cropped drastically. Peter, yours are just lovely; if I'd taken that shot of the Gannets I'd be over the moon, and the beached boats and sheds is so atmospheric. Where is that?

mrchrispy

its missing some boob!!!

grumm
    Free Member

For really dramatic landscape pics generally speaking you need the 'golden hour' imo – sunrise preferably

It's also possibly a little too clear on the original pic – the sky/light isn't very dramatic

PP's pic of the birds is very good

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with this picture?’ is closed to new replies.