• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What's wrong with this camera lens?
  • Kit
    Free Member

I’ve just bought this lens from ebay:

Wondering what the green stuff is (appears to be on the inside of the lens). TBH, I’ve not tried it out yet as my camera is at home, but it doesn’t look like the “Excellent condition” and “unmarked optics” that it was described as. Will drop the seller an email in a bit, just wanted some opinions off here first 😉

kayak23

Pretty sure it’s algae/fungal growth. caused by condensation, moisture inbetween the elements.
    You should not accept it if it is, but it doesn’t look good anyway..

I had two lenses returned to me that I tried to Part-ex at Wex photographic as they had very minor issues with this, waaaaay less than that.

Fungal growth link

johndoh
    Free Member

Laminate lifting?

I’d be asking for a full and immediate refund.

Kit
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s algae/fungal growth

That was what I thought but wasn’t sure.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s just the damage you can see. There will be further damage to the coating on the inside elements.

Seller must be blind.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Definitely looks like fungus inside the last element. It will have been like that for ages – there’s no way the seller wouldn’t have known.

In that condition, the lens is worthless – so I’d complain to the seller (threating -ve feedback) and request a partial refund such that you get the lens for about £5. It’ll still take photos, and you might not even notice the damage as much as you’d think. But in terms of market value, it’s ‘spares or repair’ hence worth nothing. Let the seller decide – if I was in their shoes, I’d give you a full refund and hope for +ve feedback for a problem fairly resolved.

johndoh
    Free Member

Doesn’t help the OP but I once bought a lens described as a f2.2 but it was an f2.4.

Had a real argument with him as he didn’t see why there was any difference and that he shouldn’t have to give me a refund etc, they were basically the same thing etc etc. Obviously Ebay sided with me, but some people are just stupid or assume that their buyers are.

Cougar

Seller must be blind. lying.

FTFY.

My first thought was fungus, but it looks like the sort of pattern you get when a coating perishes. I’ve seen similar on cheap sunglasses.

Assuming that’s the only problem I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually worked perfectly, though; the front optic can take a surprising amount of damage before photos are affected.

I’m still be pissed off if it was me though, and bouncing it back for a refund.

Yak

Fungus – Once had that on a lens and the repair would have been more than the lens was worth. Go for a refund.

How it got the fungus is entirely my fault though 🙂 Ahem.
    I’d been on holiday in Greece and had crashed my moped for some reason. I landed on my camera bag and one of the lens’ ended up with a loose element. Thinking that I’d put it somewhere safe in my big bag instead of my day/camera bag, I put it inside one of my spare trainers….. Not the cleverest thing to do and on return to the uk, the thing had grown a fungus.

Kit
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ve asked for a refund! Seller has plenty of good feedback so I’m sure it’ll be fine (famous last words!).

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody rip off merchants giving eBay a bad name.

I’ve bought a couple of lenses off eBay – absolutely perfect (until one of the rugby kids sat on one of them 🙁 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with this camera lens?’ is closed to new replies.