Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whats wrong with me 29er issues
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

Dunno why but I like the idea of getting one after seeing the niner review in the last mag.

Now looking at a Inbred 29er

What ratio do folk use as a s/s not 32:16 I guess

Do I need to grow a beard and wear sandals to???

Jerome
    Free Member

32:18 or 17 if I am feeling fit..
    Get one if you are 6 foot ish
    J.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Hi SD, hope this finds you well. As to 29er issues there are two over here now!!

Last time some one asked about the gearing:

“charlie the bikemonger – Member said
    The rough rule is take you 26er ratio andadd two teeth to the rear. So 32:16 becomes 32:18 having said that 29ers roll fast so you tend to use it in a different and faster way. That’s probably why I run 32:17. But these are southern softy ratios where the biggest hill is 600 foot.

I run 32:17 on 26″ and run 32:19 on 29″.

Yet to ride in sandals but do seem to have more weekend fuzz on my face these days and that is when I ride the 29er. ‘Sort of realmen ride grown up bikes’ Trainer wheels for the boyz!

Only my view but they seem better (more fun) when fully rigid, bigger wheels – bigger tyres roll over things, Trainer wheels need the give to cope with bumps.

s
    Free Member

On my 26′ SS inbred, I run 32:18, round my hilly routes, on my inbred 29er I am running 32:20.

Both setups will be spintastic on the flat mind, but I gear my stuff for the climbs 😉

The 29er is getting more use than my old 853 26′ inbred, which I thought was going to out live me!

oldfart

Don’t forget Andy on a 29er you’ll have further to fall than a 26er !!!!! 😆

saladdodger
    Free Member

OF do you want a slap 👿

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

29er = smoother ride but more effort to accelerate and wheelie.
    26er = more playful and skippy

I’ve tried a 29er but didn’t get on with it because it wasn’t so good as a 26er at the trialsy bits of the rides

Clink

I’ve tried a 29er but didn’t get on with it because it wasn’t so good as a 26er at the trialsy bits of the rides

Depends on the 29er – try a Paradox, Yelli Screamy or forthcoming Nimble 9.

Quoting myself from another thread about running 34×20 on a 29er…

“I’m comfortable at about 21-22 km/h on the flat.
    I can sustain 24-25 and reach 28-30 for short bursts.”

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Thanks Clink, the Nimble 9 looks interesting in SM. At 1055mm the wheelbase is only 15mm longer than my two 26ers and a riding position biased a little further towards the rear should be possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whats wrong with me 29er issues’ is closed to new replies.